home

Author Topic: Memory Lane  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Memory Lane
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:25:35 AM »
Any treasures you just can’t part with?

These leads go back to early ‘60’s I think. I have had them since I was 3 or 4. The coldstream guard that is. The rather tall not to good sculpt is from my dads time - that and the one armed dude. Pre 40’s again I think/guess. These are the last of my lead 1/32 collection
and somehow survived countless battles, HO train rides and wrecks and so on.

These are the Fort Henry guard and engineers I picked up in my early teens.

These I got later and don’t have as strong a bond with. May actually eBay them.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
Hard to believe that kids in the past had no complaints about playing with non articulated, tin toys. My niece and nephew wont touch anything unless it has wifi

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:08 AM »
Those figures are awesome!  I'd say keep them all and set up a Napoleonic skirmish game with them.  You'd need some French (blue uniforms :icon_wink: ), and the rules could be from Too Fat Lardies' Sharpes Practice which could be good.

For me ... I have old fantasy roleplaying figures from the 1970s, 58mm plastics and Britains for Medieval, AWI, Alamo, ACW, WW2, and I have 15mm AirFix Napoleonics and a few Celts too.  Maybe some day I'll paint the 15mm Napoleonics or maybe the 58mm ACW.  Maybe.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:45:46 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
I have lots of 1:72 minis in my house. The sentiment is strong. I won't part with them. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »
Quote GP:Those figures are awesome!  I'd say keep them all and set up a Napoleonic skirmish game with them.  You'd need some French (blue uniforms :icon_wink: ), and the rules could be from Too Fat Lardies' Sharpes Practice could be good.

If I get inspired, I’ll pull out my air fix 1/32 scale Napoleonics. All plastic, I  have the English, Scottish, old and new guard French. Dang you GP!
Once again!!!!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:27:54 AM »
@Gamespoet
Are you referring to the plus sized Spanish gent Sharpe had 'sword practice' with in one of the TV movies?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
I've not seen more than a few minutes of a Sharpe's T.V. show.

Quote GP:Those figures are awesome!  I'd say keep them all and set up a Napoleonic skirmish game with them.  You'd need some French (blue uniforms :icon_wink: ), and the rules could be from Too Fat Lardies' Sharpes Practice which could be good.

If I get inspired, I’ll pull out my air fix 1/32 scale Napoleonics. All plastic, I  have the English, Scottish, old and new guard French. Dang you GP!
Once again!!!!
What size are the figures you've shown us?

I've contemplated painting up my 15mm Napoleonics.  Would need to locate them, but it does seem like a fun project.  When I was a youngster we just used them as is playing a game called Tricolor, if I recall.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
All the figures are 1/32 scale. When I was 8-11 I bought box after box of the plastic airfix collections which came with 29 soldiers each. Napoleonics and WW2 soldiers. Had tons of fun with them. Pretty sure I walked most of the boxes to the teller were my dad paid for ‘em lol
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
Com to think of it, my Airfix Napoleonics might be 1/72 scale, can't recall for sure, which would then make them a bit bigger than 15mm, maybe 20mm.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »
I had some 1/72 too. French foreign legion and some tribal units plus a fort. I remember being in England with a friend when I was 11 (1975) and there was a local hobby store in South End on Sea. We would march up to the store every day and buy another box for about     1.5 £ I think. Insane.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
Well this is a good trip down "Memory Lane", but I need to stay focused on current projects before rambling off on something like this. :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:36:53 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
Likewise! As I pack away troops to the dark areas again
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
I don't know the scale but I have a box of the tiny plastic soldiers that date back to my grandfather. He started buying little wee plastic civil war soldiers when he had my uncle, then my dad got the collection and started collecting Napoleonic guys in the same scale. Then when I was young I got the box and started adding the more modern guys and the plastic bases that were around in the 90's.

They're just tiny things and I hardly touch them, but it's three generations of history at this point. I look forward to passing them on myself some day.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
These guys sound like the 1/72 scale. There is quite a bit of detail on them as well. I always thought they would be a huge amount of work and the way my eyes are now, I may have a fight on my hands. The sheer amount of collectibles was astounding.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
On the smaller figures, I recommend using a magnifying lamp.  Makes it easier to see with magnification and light.