home

Author Topic: By Goodness !! I think I may have solved the Halberdiers problem !  (Read 10334 times)

Offline Perforated

• Members
Re: By Goodness !! I think I may have solved the Halberdiers problem !
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
firstly, i love my halberds and never play my empire without 28 of them and their captain... most people think im crazy, but i get 10 attacks on the charge and the S4 is more than helpful... when i need it they still get a 4+ save and can hold out until my knights get the flank charge... so they work for me is all im saying, even if they do need the help of a captain but fluff wise what better unit for him to be in?

overall i dont think the halberds need to be better, i think the "+1 AS with shield in combat" rule needs to be killed or changed... all across the game it is more than overpowering, it has made it so basic stregnth 3 and in a lot of cases 4 is not enough to do damage and kill... my proposed change is that IF the extra +1 is used (or going to be used) there is either -1 WS or -1 to hit to show how much harder it is to strick from the defensive position...

Well, here we are in clear agreement, the HW+Shield bonus has severly skewered balance. I've heard proposals to make the bonus available only to WS4+ troops but that would only help the more elite armies who usually don't need it.

I do like your proposal but I don't believe that HW+Shield should be regarded as a Shieldwall. The shield is just as much a weapon as the sword. I think that they should just remove the rule altogether.

The problem I see with the halberds is that they are way to fragile versus pretty much anything. That's why I don't take them, they just don't have the staying power, S4 or not.

i also dont think they need heavy armor, and if they get it i wont use it... the points spent on HA is better used buying more models for your unit... empire generals need to realize our army is basically a human horde, let the commoner state troops die; its what Sigmar brought them into this world to do...

I disagree, the Empire is not a horde army, Skaven and O&G have the limitless numbers, Chaos have the unstoppable will of the gods and so on for each army.

What Empire has is technology and training/discipline, not numbers.

another big hang up people seem to have is the fluff, maybe GW should just change it like they have done so many times before... all they really have to do is say Swordsmen are the preffered weapon since always and that Karl reuires them and not halberds...

One of the reasons for bringing the halberds in line with the other state troops is fluff, but on my part it's more a question of making them a viable choice in the army compared to the other troops.

If a unit never sees use because it's rarely worth the points/slot/etc. then it should either be removed or updated. For Empire this applies to both halberdiers and the engineer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:02:14 PM by Perforated »
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 06:52:55 AM »
It occurs to me that maybe greatswords should be given a halberd weapon choice so that 4+ AS troops with WS4 can strike with S4 on initiative.  Oh yeah and be stubborn.

The halberd itself should be +1S ap

Or is that too simple?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:57:57 AM by der Hurenwiebel »
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
[quote author=Ganymede link=topic=29997.msg423162#msg423162 I agree... his argument is basically that inconsistency is ok as long as the inconsistencies are consistent. What kind of argument is that?
[/quote]

Just thought I'd point to the GW FAQs.... they seem to be an exercise in this!  :::cheers:::
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
[quote author=Ganymede link=topic=29997.msg423162#msg423162 I agree... his argument is basically that inconsistency is ok as long as the inconsistencies are consistent. What kind of argument is that?

Just thought I'd point to the GW FAQs.... they seem to be an exercise in this!  :::cheers:::
[/quote]

Ugh, don't remind me.

I just don't think GW's lousy track record in this area should be continued or used as a rationalle for list design.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 02:01:43 AM »
In the other core troops threads I mentioned a desire to have a base profile and the ability to equip or train any of your troops to match any profile you wish.  This could work very well with a troop type like the halberdier here.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 09:35:01 AM »
I have seen that post there der Hurenweibel, I vote with that, make a base profile named State troops, maybe 4pts with hand weapon and light armour, halberd +1, shields +1 spears +1 Heavy armour +2.
If armed with a halberd may take full plate+4???

Maybe make swordsmen not state troops any more?

Also about the dispute with armour, it says in the empire army book that state troops are armoured in a variety of ways acording to the whim of their generals, the richness of their homeland and a number of other factors.
Their armour is a mix of chain, leather, brigandines and helmets of every shape and form. . . Just for those interested, not every soldier had a breastplate. Although they should. . . (shakes fist)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:40:11 AM by Derek Contyre »
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Perius

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
I've posted on the other thread, but this one seems more active.

Rather than making rule shifts regarding armour saves, or introducing new special rules for Halberdiers, mightn't this work?

- Halberdiers become 4 points.
 - Halberdier Command Groups are free.

Offline eSBeN84

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
I thought of something like

Army pts val.          Free halberd unit size.
less than 2000        10*
2000 or more          15*
3000 or more          20*
4000 or more          25*
each +1000            +5more*

*all with full command unit.

And you can ofcourse pay to increase the unit size as normal.

I also put this one in another post.
But do you think it would be to much/OP?

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 11:10:10 PM »
Not changing halberds, but making them minimum unit size 20 and a 1+ choice would result in more Empire players taking them. ;)

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 01:46:03 AM »
Well yeahhhhh but only cuz ya gotta.  Match the points cost to their value and allow them to be sufficiently upgraded and you'll have people taking them because they want to.

"DEfighter wrote: