home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55916 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - The End??
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
Fantastic!
I can’t help but wonder what Terry Pratchett would have to say to see his words materialized like this.
With these masterpieces out there, I can’t help but feel honoured to have your pleasant surprise vallhallens in my collection.

Oh, that's easy

Bugrit. <mumble>  Millennium Hand and Shrimp

:::cheers:::
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - The End??
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2018, 05:53:49 AM »
But... I don't want it to end.  :wink:

Offline JAK

• Members
Re:An apology from Photobucket - Not
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:55 PM »
It seems that Photobucket are not satisfied with the changes it has made over the past years to ruin forums and the like and have c***ed things up even more. I don’t know when they did this as they never informed me but their site says current rules for free accounts are that you can only have 250 pictures which can use up to 2.5GB of their server space. I had 400 pictures on their site deposited between 2010 and 2016 and because they had been resized to Forum standards I am taking up an excessive 120.87 MB on their server.

I received an email from them threatening to close my account because I’m using too much storage? 

When I went to my page (something I’ve not done since the start of the problems) all my photos are in a haze and I’m told I have to upgrade before I can see them. I’m not prepared to pay them $60 just so that I can see my own photos so I started to deleted them thinking that if I got down to the free level of 250 they would release the restrictions on my account. They didn’t until I got down to around 150 left which I’m sorry to say means there may no longer be any images at the start of this thread.

The originals of the deleted pictures are on an old PC which is not at my current location so at the present time it is unlikely that any missing images will be reinstated soon.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Final update
« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2021, 03:21:07 PM »
With the 2021 Armies on Parade being online and at local GW stores I decided to give the City Watch a final burst and really finish them. This was just a bit of touching up of paint and adding a few tufts to bases. To make up the AoP size I added a few of my empty movement trays and repaired an old model of The Drum as a backdrop.

An overview of  Sir Samuel Vimes’ First of Foot as they prepare to march off to war, By Jingo

Sir Samuel and the main characters.

The Humans

The Dwarves

The Trolls

Their departure is watched by Lady Ramkin and pets; and Unofficial Watch Members.

The Staff, The Specials and those from Foreign Parts

The Rest of the Watch

The Drum (Mended or otherwise) a local water hole.

As far as I am concerned the City Watch project is now complete.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2021, 04:33:25 PM »
This is mind-boggling stunning awesome!

A pinnacle of parade armies!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »
You're absolutely mad. :o
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »
 :Ohmy: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

I'm at a loss for words. This is stunning. (Not the least because of my love of all things Pratchett.) Well done.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Apologises if you …..
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2022, 10:52:33 AM »
…...were expecting some thing different.

It’s a number of years now since Photobucket (wash your mouth out with soapy water) destroyed many threads on this Forum.
During my painting drought I’ve also been spending some time going through my old PC backups to find the pictures that had been lost from this thread. They have now all been restored and the build is once again fully documented.

The old hands can relive 6+ years of my life, and newcomers since 2018 can now see the beginning as well as the end.

Before my ‘Discworld Inspired’ thread I had another just called ‘Discworld’ in which I’d created a number of army units based on the Discworld books. This suffered the same Photobucket destruction although many of the pictures are still visible to me. (I don’t understand this as my Photobucket account has been closed). I may seek out the original photos and restore them or depending on future plans rebase the figures in AoS fashion and post in  ‘Discworld Inspired’ to keep the theme together.

As said in my previous post - As far as I am concerned the City Watch project is now complete. (until I think of something else I've forgotten) :icon_smile:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:56:41 AM by JAK »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2022, 12:20:58 PM »
A lovely scenery piece there! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Glad this got bumped, somehow I missed the most recent posts. :icon_redface:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »
So much awesome stuff. Truly epic!

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2024, 05:03:53 PM »
Apologises again, I didn’t expect to resurrect this thread but the local GW Store are holding a Dragon painting competition to celebrate Chinese New Year.

I had no intention of entering but I was sorting out some old figures when I read their post about the competition. They suggested it could be any dragon, old or new or even “one you have been working on and want some motivation to finish!“ I had just come across the remains of this dragon and was about to put them back in the pile of shame – but - I knew this dragon was originally bought in 1988 and had been built a number of times although it kept falling apart before it got anywhere near a coat of primer, so thought it was time for me to have a try at building it.

I had to scrape the old Alraldite glue off the joints, repair a number of broken parts and redo the holes for new wire supports. Being an old model there were large gaps in the joints so I sandwiched a layer of GreenStuff between each joint as I put them together and used super glue on the wire supports. So far she has stayed together despite the rough handling trying to paint her.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2024, 04:28:17 AM »
Not going to work today.
Going to stay home, look at these and pretend to be 19 again

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2024, 04:26:57 PM »
Great to see your work, as always!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »
A glorious piece of art, thank you for returning to post this, hope to see more! :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2024, 07:21:07 PM »
Many thanks to all who have viewed my last post, and the comments, particularly as many of you are so engrossed trawling through the new TOW rule books.

This wasn’t meant to be the Discworld dragon when I started the build, it was, as mentioned above, just that no one had managed to keep it glued together for any length of time during the past 36 years. I did wonder if it was cursed.

When I mentioned to the Store that it might take me 36 years to paint it at the rate I go they couldn’t guarantee to hold a competition then, a pity as the Chinese zodiac sign for 2060 is a White Metal Dragon which would have saved me having to paint it anyway.

The dragon is designed to be standing on all 4 legs but during a previous build a leg had been cut in an attempt to make it stand upright. I continued with this idea when making repairs to the leg but the tail angle was wrong, and not easy to correct, resulting in the need for it to be standing above ground level. Once I’d decided this should be a burnt out house rather a rock the Discworld elements were thought about.

Other than the stance, and a new tip for the tail, this, unusually for me, is unconverted. There are few WiP pictures as this was a quick job, 20 days start to finish; I normally struggle to finish a single figure for the GW Store’s Miniature of the Month Painting Competitions.

This is now the real end of the City Watch project, I’ve no intention of rebasing this figure onto one of my rectangular cobblestone ones and the diorama of Nobby and Colon at the City Gates with 1001 Elephants is just a pipe dream, although I do have a spare Mumakil somewhere!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2024, 01:42:35 AM »
This is now the real end of the City Watch project,

That's an announcement! Whats next?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2024, 12:43:35 PM »
Do the LOTR Mumakil scale well with other GW models?
I tried to use LOTR miniatures in other GW ranges but it never worked out

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2024, 01:24:37 PM »
I like the camels with WHFB scale.
And the Dunlending warriors mostly work too IMO.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2024, 01:38:57 PM »
I like the camels with WHFB scale.
And the Dunlending warriors mostly work too IMO.
Thanks. About ten years ago, i wanted to make a Saracen army for my Bretonians to fight and i thought about using some models from the LOTR range but realised they were the wrong scale