home

Author Topic: Round 8 - Tactical Discussion  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Round 8 - Tactical Discussion
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:39:17 PM »
Well what do we do now?

We need to know:

One or two rounds left?

Any special modifiers or conditions for the last rounds?

We can possibly totally ignore the Watchman - it will take round 8 to contest it back - and round 9 to win it.
Or we could decide to make sure we hold it - so we have the extra location, the way Talabecland has Udo's well under control.

Then we decide - is it a straightforward blitz against Brustenbruck, or blasting as much as possible at Bechafen?

I think to be able to maximise our opportunities, THIS IS THE ROUND where we need everyone on board - all our faction members doing something - even if it's a skirmish, a drawn battle, whatever.
Talabecland have a very good solid core of members, who have performed admirably, but there is a limit to what they can produce - we with more, but less regular gaming members CAN up our performance.

Most of us should be able to fit in some sort of game - even if it's a 1000pt over 90 minutes - play a scenario and with a campaign list and a Minor Victory becomes a very useful 600 points.
10 more of those and 6000 points could make a big difference - look at the points averages per round so far on Rorrak's standings figures.
 :-D

We should be e-mailing the faction members - to get them involved.
 :idea:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Brunger

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:42:50 AM »
I say Hammer Brustenbruck...  We know we won't win Bechafen to our side because it takes to much to win it.  if we have 2 rounds left then we need to start attacking this round.  And we have to stay on the offensive now or else we'll just find ourselves defending our territories and not gaining any ground against our opponents.

I was thinking about suggesting attacking Hohleburg for the last two rounds. but that gives T-land too much time to realise that we are gunning for it, and try and take it themselves..  :?

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 01:19:11 AM »
I would wait till you see the modifiers, they should be interesting…
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 05:44:35 AM »
"Crack out the Ale! we're back at the Uneasy! Woohoo!"

*VH dances a little jig*

hmmm dejavu I'm sure ive been here before!
Grand Writing Competition winning entry;
"I was there! With the Men of Erlach!"

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"
- Oscar Wilde

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 06:25:36 AM »
We have 4 territories, TLand have 4 Territories Stirland have just 1.

If Bechafen can't be won then it may go down to who has the most territories but I suspect and Calvin hints at it that Bechafen may become winnable.

Winning Brustenbach while ignoring TUW will take us to 4 territories (assuming we lost TUW) while reducing TLand to 3 but that will take two rounds of our members all comming to the party.

Unless there is a major boost for Stirland their Morale may be broken and TUW may be defendable.

As Calvin suggests. Lets wait for the conditions.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:09 AM »
@Brunger:
Hohleburg has a big points lead, and though it might be nice to wipe Stirland clean away, it is probably not cost effective points wise.

Generally:
It will take TWO rounds to capture something - will there be two more rounds?
If we are looking at 'Most Locations' then we need to get Brustenbruck to 'contested' at the same time as keeping what we have 'UNcontested' - ie Kaltenbach and The Watchman.

I think we need to see what the 'plans' are for Bechafen - Talabecland have a bit of a lead there.

Anyway as I said above - what we really need is all our generals to come to the party..............

:happyjoy:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 07:46:16 PM »
Absolutely! I will try to put in enough battles to max  myself out for the first time hopefully they will be good ones.

As my two cents, or at least until the modifiers are revealed, Bechafen as well as Hohlenburg is out of the question, we should attempt to limit what the other factions could possibly gain. As Midaski said this means contesting or capturing (depending on the rounds left) a Talabecland location. Stirland is at this point pretty much out of the running unless they manage to pull a huge Morale reversal and have all their members post to max out. Those of you who know or have the contacts of people who are not participating regularly should get on the horn and gripe at them until they do so.

Rorrak, as the Information Man Man Man (old school All That!) could you tell us who has not participated at all or very little, like less than a report per round?
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:52:41 PM »
Mmmm, I wont be totally accurate but I can rustle some info up. I only started collecting names with reports around Round 2 or 3. I have all my input files so I can have the program read them all and produce a turn by turn post rate.

How do I get a list of all our registered players ? I will only have a name if they have posted at least once.

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »
Cheked the Modifiers for Bechafen, my new proposed plan of battle is...
POUND BECHAFEN!!!
Pound it like it owes you money, beat like your life depends on it, hammer it like that damn rules lawyer/WAAC/wieighted dice using player, etc.

@Rorrak: I'm sure the one of the mods or admins has acces to the list one of them cuold probably give it to you, GH owes you.
[Elsewhere]

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 11:40:23 PM »
The full list of signed up faction members is in the 'usergroups' at the top of any page.

I have used it for emailing non participants in earlier rounds, and it has worked quite well getting a few to remember we're here.

Unfortunately a lot of the profiles do not show email addresses - which means only a mod [me?] can access their email.

I've read the round 8 conditions - the Kaltenbach one is interesting?
We get 3000 points free, to add to our existing lead of 5950 = 8950 for Talabecland to get to catch us up and possibly contest it.
I wonder if they'll try?

I agree with jman - if we go for Bechafen to start with - we have a 6-day round this time.

I just think we need to keep an eye on TUW - it might even be worth posting a couple there early to try to convince the Stirlanders to go after Udo's.

Finally I would dearly love to hit Brustenbruck late on - if we could see how much Talabecland post up, and use Rorrak's standings thread to see who has posted - we might just be able to surprise them.
 :wink:

It is going to be a juggling act - ideally we need:

1. To keep Kaltenbach
2. To keep TUW
3. To get into the lead at Bechafen
4. To capture Brustenbruck

Would you all agree that those 4 things are the possible objectives :?:

It is just the order of importance that needs to be sorted out.

Last point: The General talks about one more SHORT round. :?:

That will start in the week - after Monday's end of round 8 - that means weekdays when battles are scarce - worth thinking about?

We will have to make some decisions on Sunday / Monday about what and where we post.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 12:59:14 AM »
Quote from: Midaski

I would re-read this a few times  :wink:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104432#104432
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 06:06:18 AM »
I have 1 fully modified massacre to report.

Can we see who else has something in their pocket so that we can post those attacks to specific locations.

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Erken

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 06:15:09 AM »
I played two games yesterday sadly i lost one, but i got one massacre with a 25% bonus...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 07:14:30 AM »
Quote from: Calvin

I would re-read this a few times  :wink:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104432#104432

I have and I've done the Maths on Bechafen.

Each faction has 20000 - 30000 points, that means even if the Riots factor drops to zero, a faction will need to have more than the other 2 combined.

Currently, if we post nothing, that means Talabecland will have to post 16,601 to beat the other two factions, BUT they still will not have control because there will have to be 47,450 points posted to reduce the Riots to zero............

Stirland can still post skirmishes a couple of those will add another 1000 or so points to the total needed, only reducing the riots by 500 each time.

So if we choose not to post much - Talabecland will not get control.

To post 48000 points to Bechafen would take Us and Talabecland more than 1 round [40,000 has been best I reckon], and that presupposes nobody will post elsewhere.................

The BEST anyone can hope for is to be in the lead........

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 07:16:21 AM »
I've read the journal twice now, one of the great thing about this campaign is the skilled story telling.

The Tzarina isn't Reigning in her son because she wants to see him in Bechafen.

Owning Bechafen is almost spelled out for us but there may be a hint of what could happen if Bechafen remains contested. Kaltenbach with its talking mural could serve as a "counts for more" territory.

I got a draw to report and have two more games this week.

Testing my army for the National Tournament on the 17th and asked my opponent to bring a army hand chosen to destroy my army. I gave him the basics of what was in it. Under those conditions I'm very happy with a draw against one of our strongest players.

I know it doesnt help our campaign so I've arranged a 3rd game this week :)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 11:27:42 AM »
Despite Calvin sidetracking us........ :roll:  :wink:

have we thought about the priorities?

I suspect Stirland will just post at The Watchman - that would seem the easier chance.
It depends how much support they still have?

If we lose the Watchman then Talabecland will have the most locations.

If I was in the Stirland camp I think I would be posting at both locations trying to discourage both sides from posting at Bechafen.

I still think we would be best sharing reports around a bit - maybe Bechafen first for a while to make the opposition think we are concentrating on winning that.
That should discourage Talabecland from Kaltenbach, and may stop them boosting Brustenbruck any more.

It may also make Stirland cocky about TUW - and we could post up there later to make sure we hold it.

Then, depending on what has happened, and if we have enough and members around we could have a go at Brustenbruck.
 :lol:

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »
Maybe I was a bit hasty...

So according to your math if we don't post anything Talabecland has no chance of taking it? If that were the case then we might want to post a few draws there to draw their attention there, we then save up all the battle reports we have and post them on one of their locations on the last day of the round. Or if Talabecland is being as obsessively compulsive as we are and they over-analyze every action then we don't post anything and let them think were saving up for a blitz on Bechafen, or if they also hold back reports like us, then good that'll just clench the un-attainability of Bechafen.

Or we could go all out in a very Ulrican display of bravado and assault Bechafen like it were Graf Martin himself. But this may end up being a tie there any way which would put no one anywhere.

As a note on the modifiers the Campaign team may well increase the them at Bechafen so that all battles fought there receive a bonus as well as detracting a higher percentage from the riot points.

I suggest...
1) Contest/control Brustenbuck
2) Keep TUW
3) Keep Kaltenbach
4) Take the lead at Bechafen

I have a 25% bonus massacre to any loaction.
[Elsewhere]

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 12:07:19 AM »
Despite Calvin sidetracking us........ :roll:  :wink:

Humph :x

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 06:57:24 AM »
Midaski wrote:

I suspect Stirland will just post at The Watchman - that would seem the easier chance.
It depends how much support they still have?

If we lose the Watchman then Talabecland will have the most locations

I agree, However

maybe Bechafen first for a while to make the opposition think we are concentrating on winning that.

Rather lets aggressivly fortify TUW first, principle of war - attack from a defendable position (unlike Graf Martins mistake)

Then attack Bechafen our opposition would expect that.

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Erken

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »
hmm.. it looks like Stirland is trying to take TUW back, just saw some posts there. I think we should try and keep it in the first place and perhaps post some minor games at Bechafen to get T-lands attention there as some have suggested.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 02:52:56 PM »
Yes Vann Harl - you are probably right.
Calvin didn't argue about Bechafen with his HMpf :wink:  I think it is Unwinnable, but we would still want to be in front there at the end.

I suggested posting to Bechafen to try to make Talabecland go there too and leave Kaltenbach and brustenbruck as they are.

We have to watch 2 fronts and the Bechafen thing, but Stirland have moved first so let's respond there initially.

Ok so let's fortify up The Watchman to start with, I have a minor with bonuses, and if Erken post his ONE. Let's just post single reports at present.
We're having another 4 player 2 battles side by side on Friday evening, and again on Sunday. One empire enemy and another who might play empire or TK or Orcs - needs persuasion :roll:

Offline rha celt

• Members
May not be ant help this round
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
Just thought I would let you know I do not think I will be able to help this round. I have used up all my spare time and need to do some family things this weekend. I hope that if I get everything back on an even keel that next week I can be available for the last big push.
When in doubt attack, hey sometimes it works

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: May not be ant help this round
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Quote from: rha celt
Just thought I would let you know I do not think I will be able to help this round. I have used up all my spare time and need to do some family things this weekend. I hope that if I get everything back on an even keel that next week I can be available for the last big push.

just when we need you... :wink:

I've told the rest of the 'family' (other than my son who plays) that I will be 'available' again after the 19th.............

Offline Middenland_is_Okay

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 04:02:41 AM »
And they say warhammer doesn't obsess most people :wink:
I make no sense, and I don't care!!

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
Re: May not be ant help this round
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 05:41:59 AM »
be 'available' again after the 19th.............

Hahaha! know what you mean! But try telling that to a girlfriend who hasnt seen me in 4 weekends!

- Oscar Wilde