home

Author Topic: An Age of Peace it seems...  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
An Age of Peace it seems...
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Is it me or is no-one posting battle reports anymore? I can only put this down to the fact that the Empire has beaten all its enemies  :-P

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: An Age of Peace it seems...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
Well, the world did explode. Does that count as victory?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
I've been in 4 different hobby stores recently and haven't seen anyone playing WFB nor WAoS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:56:07 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »

I guess it does.

I've been in 4 different hobby sores recently and haven't seen anyone playing WFB nor WAoS.

That is a shame. I play with just one friend at the mo as my army isn't built yet but when it is finished I plan to find new opponents (if there are any to find). Not sure if Sheffield UK is a hotbed of AoS action.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
The OKC GW store is nearly 100% AoS from open to close. The store manager really supports it and it has trickled down to the store regulars. It's almost like 40k never existed. In fact he is launching an AoS escalation league on Aug 1st, where you are fighting to score points for your armies faction. The top ranked faction on the ladder will receive some type of bonus.

On the flip side, the largest independent game store in OKC (Game HQ) is still almost completely devoid of all warhammer gaming. At any given time there will be a war machine game going along with the multitude of MtG players, Pen and paper RPG, Battletech and some old west themed table top game. My friends and I are the only representatives for GW in the store and we play AoS almost exclusively now.

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Is it me or is no-one posting battle reports anymore? I can only put this down to the fact that the Empire has beaten all its enemies  :-P
OnceBitten uploaded a bunch of Empire battle reports recently, he played in some tournament.
Skaven in AZ (all together) frequently uploads games and thoughts on things. He plays Skaven though, as the name might suggest.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
Once the campaign picks up game-play momentum I'll get back to posting story/photo bat reps again. I'm hoping for some major battles soon.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
Out of curiosity, how do you do a escalation league for a game with no army build mechanic like AoS?  Sounds like your GW actually has room to play. The ones here have exactly 1 table for gaming.  It feels crowded when there is more than 3 people in the store. 

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:58:09 PM »
That IS weird - most GW's I've been to have multiple tables. Then again, there are some that seem designed purely as showcases...

I've been getting into Mordheim myself. I guess it's a reaction to the lack of Character Customisation in AoS.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, how do you do a escalation league for a game with no army build mechanic like AoS?  Sounds like your GW actually has room to play. The ones here have exactly 1 table for gaming.  It feels crowded when there is more than 3 people in the store.

The GW store here has 3 tables but it can still feel crowded. The escalation league will definitely not be devoid of balance issues but the setup for the first wave is 5 war scrolls of which only 2 can be heroes or 1 hero and 1 monster. That is the only balancing mechanism. I think that is why the manager is utilizing the "points for your faction" system. Maybe that causes less temptation to abuse the rules, I'm not sure. I'm planning on taking 20 Greatswords, 3 DGK, Steamtank, warrior priest, war altar with Volkmar. I feel like that is a pretty stout list without even taking Karl.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:50 AM »

I'd say it does, it was the only way those chaos pansies managed to beat us. 8-)(also why fantasy> 40k, it takes a million years to get one of our planets while 40k loses them by the boatload)
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
I think a strong case can be made that the End Times were just - after a few thousand years of trying to get their act together when the paperwork got lost in multiple shuffles - an Inquisitorial order of Exterminatus being carried out on a world corrupted by psychic activity, mutation, forbidden technology and humans associating with xenos.....
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
I think a strong case can be made that the End Times were just - after a few thousand years of trying to get their act together when the paperwork got lost in multiple shuffles - an Inquisitorial order of Exterminatus being carried out on a world corrupted by psychic activity, mutation, forbidden technology and humans associating with xenos.....

I reckon it's an alcohol-induced nightmare that Karl Franz is having, in the wake of Emmanuelle von Liebowitz spiking his martini and having her ways with him. 50 Shades of Wissenland Grey will be available at all good bookstores by september.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
I reckon it's an alcohol-induced nightmare that Karl Franz is having, in the wake of Emmanuelle von Liebowitz spiking his martini and having her ways with him. 50 Shades of Wissenland Grey will be available at all good bookstores by september.
If the Inquisition actually did that, they goofed, which isn't surprising when they overly mettle, and look what they got now. And I wonder if Karl Franz will ever wake up from his nightmare. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
50 Shades of Wissenland Grey

To be fair, "50 Shades of Grey" usually describes the state of a gamer' army, not his sex life.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »

This is a reference to the fact when the fantasy world was just another planet in the 40k world, methinks?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
50 Shades of Wissenland Grey

To be fair, "50 Shades of Grey" usually describes the state of a gamer' army, not his sex life.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

This is a reference to the fact when the fantasy world was just another planet in the 40k world, methinks?

I think that - if one ignores the "behind the mask" stories from GW about the Stormcasts (i.e. the ones which describe how they appear to themselves) and merely treat everything we know as what people THINK about them, then a strong case can be made the Stormcasts are actually Space Marines and Sigmar is some kind of renegade Chapter Master....

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
Oh please, a stormcast eternal can rip a space marine apart. (And even if he loses he'll come back unlike the space marine's ever shrinking chapter) :biggriin:

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
I think that - if one ignores the "behind the mask" stories from GW about the Stormcasts (i.e. the ones which describe how they appear to themselves) and merely treat everything we know as what people THINK about them, then a strong case can be made the Stormcasts are actually Space Marines and Sigmar is some kind of renegade Chapter Master....

Way to make me dislike it even more.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »
See, that is one of the things ghat makes me like it the most. Whag WOULD Space Marines look like to regular medieval or renaissance humans? They woyld look like angels and magic.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
It looks liek the last time I put up a battle report here was in July of 2009. :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

I've played a good number of games since then, yet just haven't reported any here.  There was once a game that Wissenlander and I had that was put up somewhere, but I couldn't find that one.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
See, that is one of the things ghat makes me like it the most. Whag WOULD Space Marines look like to regular medieval or renaissance humans? They woyld look like angels and magic.

Yeah, and nanobots would look like magic to us. But come on, way to rationalize it all away. Where's your sense of wonder? Let's be honest here. Those AoS things look like necrons had babies with space marines that ended up on the wrong planet.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
My sense of wonder is just fine - because I can see multiple different "truths" that could be behind the appearance of the Stormcasts. They could be magical, or angelic, or technological ... or a combination of all three.

I think the Stormcasts look like ... one of the popular conceptions of angels (that is; ascended human beings, rather than a totally different order of creature). Or, they look like actual angels - the messengers and warriors of the gods. I've placed them alongside other models; they are bigger, significantly. But their heads are the same size - so they look more heroic following the classic rule.

In terms of a "sense of wonder", there really is that - we are so used to discussing the idea of a Space Marine, or an Elven phoenix, or even a steam tank that we forget just how amazing, how dramatic that would be. I recently saw a documentary on the first nuclear tests - and they had eye-witness accounts. We, today, are pretty blasé about massive explosions - but to those guys, this was ... terrifying.

To us, the Stormcasts are over-sized models. To the inhabitants of the Mortal Realms, they are nothing less than the warriors of the gods returning as liberators after uncounted centuries of slavery.

I really like that sense of wonder, that sense of newness - from all sides. It's just a fun place to play in. YMMV, of course.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »
Oh please, a stormcast eternal can rip a space marine apart. (And even if he loses he'll come back unlike the space marine's ever shrinking chapter) :biggriin:

Isn't that just cloning, rather than actual resurrection?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.