home

Author Topic: Pyrates of the Karribean--Dead Man's Hand (A Mordheim campaign)  (Read 11623 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pyrates of the Karribean--Dead Man's Hand (A Mordheim campaign)
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
Marvelous gaming here! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Very entertaining! I was two games behind and too tired to read last night. Up a 6 am, coffee yogurt, steroids pills (!) almost done and settled in to enjoy while there is quiet in the house 😺 now I want to paint spiders.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »
I also need to catch up on this goldmine of a thread! :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »
Seeing this brings joy to my heart. Yarr! Well done, sir! Thanks for sharing.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »
Hobby time!

Hugely inspiring. Thanks for sharing, and here's hoping for more.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »
Belated thanks for the kind comments gents.

I have been on vacation in the wilds of South Dakota, but games have gone on...
_________________________________________________________________________________
Sundayheim--The Yeggmen
John and I got in a game right before I left.  The Undead versus the White Skullz

The White Skullz were attempting to burgle the Undead's Torktugan treasure stash and they would have pulled it off, too. Except that a stupid humie shore patrol event blundered into the middle of the job and ruined everything. 

The shore patrol is represented by the Old Guard models

Here Marglush da Brute (a LGT hero) is charged and taken OoA by a lowly ghoul

Many of the White Skullz wuz rubbed out (but I forgot the casualty list at home so the roll of honor will be completed at a later date).  Da Undead win and become rich (I think they gained a free hired sword or something disgusting like that).
_________________________________________________________________________________
Dead Man's Hand--The Adventures in Port
Since the ladz I game with don't much talk to each other, the games that happened with me out of town pretty much happened between Jim L and Chris.

Defend the Find in Port Sigmar

Quote from: Jim L
Or Rock the Boat
But I didn't think to bring a boat [ship] so we used the church as 'the find'.

Chris & I both had 17 warriors, so we just rolled off. We rolled a tie.  So I just let Chris defend since he was low warband.

15" range of vision at night, so my shooters were not doing much.

Range of vision went to 8" after the crowd panicked. (Fiddly campaign rule, entirely my fault but I like it)

Chris chose to fight in Port Sigmar, so town guards came in on 2nd or 3rd turn.

As it turned out the guard went after the Witch, but I left before she got hurt.

Chris had terrible dice rolls so he didn't smear me outright.

I rolled event and got an assassin charging Bruno 2 (with the flag).  Bruno 2 causes fear which saved him.

Dancia, the witch, cast Warrior's bane on the assassin, so he was out of luck.  The 1st blunderbuss guy fell down charging the assassin but the 2nd one made the charge. Goodbye assassin.

Chris' 1st blunderbuss shot took out 2 of my crew.

I think his 2nd took out 1 more.

I shot his ogre and took 2 wounds off before he charged Mrs Wolfgang and took her ooa. 

Then the ogre charged my boss who was standing in Lenge's Emporium's doorway [Jim L has named all of his buildings].  Captain Flashy took the ogre ooa because the ogre missed all 3 attacks

Chris has 2 guys laying down near the back of the church close to my hero Bruno 2 with the Friendly flag. The (invisible) crowd knocked Bruno 2 down and Chris' guys both fell down in the dark trying to charge him.

I routed when we both had 5 out of action.

Post Battle
I lost a crewman, Chris rolled well and pressed him as crew

I lost Junior 3 (maxed out henchman) with blunderbuss. Chris rolled poorly and sold him as a galley slave.

I lost The Kid (maxed out henchman) with blunderbuss. Shark Bait looted his body. 

Chris lost a handgunner. I pressed him as crew.

Chris found a Treasure map

I found Loose Lips (Exploration result) again.
Quote from: Jim L (May 24th)
Hijack
[One warband is trying to load a treasure chest onto its ship.  The ship arrives randomly opposite the Defender's set up zone.]

I was low warband at 390, so I chose to be the Defender.

LGT Critter had to miss this game.

The ship came in on turn 2.  The north wind was against me.  Begger Tom 2 piloted the ship.

Witch Dancia and henchman Marvin carried the treasure. 

They ran along the far South edge but Chris’ long range hunting rifle still reached them and knocked Marvin down.  That set off the crowd for 2 turns and knocked Dancia down next turn.  So slow going.

Anyway, even though the ship sailed against the wind and only moved, 5" then 5'" then 7” then 7” then 6”, it still got to the dock before the chest.

With the seawall blocking sight along the north water’s edge, the cannon only tried one shot at the building the snipers were on.  It hit but did not bounce or wound.  After that no shots were available for gunners or cannon until it docked.

The only other cannon shot missed the ogre at the back corner of the Port Authority by about ¼” too much and only bounced 2”.

The ogre was my downfall. 

In just one turn he took a blunderbuss, pistol, and 3 crossbow bolts but was not wounded. 

LGT Bruno, with blunderbuss & Friendly flag causes fear but that did not help against the ogre and a fearless hero when they charged.  His saving grace was that when he was knocked down he fell off the riser. 

And once the ogre was finally knocked down I had 3 failed charges due to fear and the one henchman that did charge could not wound with his 3 attacks. 

With Chris’ warband coming at me full strength (only -2 henchmen) and having 9 or 10 ooa, I passed my 1st rout test with the Unholy Relic but failed the next rout test roll.

POST BATTLE:
Henchmen:
Junior 3, gunner w/blunderbuss, died

Traitore’ Too, handgunner won from Chris last week, died

Finn, handgunner, died

Crewman Bear 2 was captured

Crewman Mobly was captured

Hired Sword:
Begger Tom 2 died.

Hero:
My Cabin Boy, Little Billy III, had his other leg blown off and now has movement of 2”.  He will be retired when I can afford to hire another.
Quote from: Jim L (May 31st)
Last Orders in Torktuga
We played two bar fights back to back.
1st game:

LGT Critter got caught trying to sneak in a dagger, boom, 1st roll.  :suspect:

I was evenly distributed on the floors but outnumbered.

After 1st game, Mrs. Wolfgang became frenzied.

After 1st game I captured one of Chris’ blunderbuss guys as crew and gained a swabbie from exploration.
2nd game:

Snuck in 5 daggers but LGT Critter got caught again.  😖. All of which I promptly forgot when I went 1st and had everyone search instead of charging. 😣😣😣

I only had 3 on the ground floor so they got cornered in the privy to keep from getting ganged up on. All 3 still went ooa.

Bruno 2 (with flag) fought Chris’ leader.

In the end I had 9? Ooa

the new blunderbuss guy died and the swabbie ran off.

Also Floppy 3 AND Bruno 2 both rolled:

Old battle wound or Robbed

I’m not rich like Chris so I chose old battle wound for both. Probably bite me in the butt later.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:05:58 PM by Von Kurst »
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
Those buildings back on the Port Sigmar post(s), I love 'em! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 09:46:26 PM »
Great write up as usual! That board never fails to amaze. The fighting in the privy is quite funny. Reminds me of the toilets you find in turkey. Literally a hole in the floor with 2 ceramic footprints on each side showing ere to squat.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 11:59:05 PM »
Looks like fun

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »
Great write up, great scenery, great fun. I love this thread to death. Fantastic work! :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

Naturally, now that I am back from vacation, I had to work on game night.  So... I have gone quite awhile without a game.

In the mean time the carnage in Torktuga continues:
An Ambush in Torktuga
The Undead return, though having an 'ally' doesn't stop the Bay Watch from bleeding

John's Undead were the low rated warband. He rolled his choice of scenario. He chose to Ambush Chris' New Estalians (the highest rated warband).

Night time: 18” range of vision to start.

Floppy3 decided his Old Battle Wound needed rest and stayed home [see lasts weeks report for predictions about the possible consequences of this injury].

The Bay Watch came in from the north in two groups.  One through the tower and one up the rampart.

Little Billy III failed to climb. I had forgotten to buy him a rope & hook.  So, only Captain Flashy and L.G.T. Critter made it up on the rampart.  Three henchmen went for the rampart stairs on the West.  Wolfgang 2, the Warlock, flew to the base in the center. 

Chris came out of Lenge's Dry Goods & Emporium on the south & west.

Wolfgang II the Warlock [who I have been calling Marvelous Marvin II] flys up on to the roof of Lenge's.

John’s group were in the South centered around the Officer’s Quarters.

My 1st or 2nd turn I rolled event of a pack of 5 wild dogs.  The dogs came in from the South and went after the undead.  When the dogs could see someone they failed fear tests or were knocked down by the panicked (invisible) crowd.

Little Billy III made it up onto the rampart on his 2nd turn but the crowd up there knocked him down next turn.  He fell off and the injury took him OOA.

Chris’ ogre charged into the Undead’s pack of ghouls and what not.  He got charged by 3.  1st one took 2 wounds and the 2nd stunned him leaving the diving charge guy to get the experience of taking him OOA.

My blunderbuss fired and took a couple of Lucky Charms.  They’re magically delicious.

Chris sent his red Captain Crunch guy to back up the ogre but he didn’t last long against the Vampire.  The ghouls made short work of the dog pack also.

L.G.T Critter (armed with a crossbow) got too close.

So he got charged and went OOA.

Capt. Flashy tried shooting the assailant but did nothing.

Capt. Flashy got charged [by the hated Julio] but held on. 

Wolfgang 2, (again flying more than the 7” sight after the crowd was gone) charged to save the Capt.  With his 3 attacks he took the enemy OOA (who dropped 2 treasures) only to be taken OOA right after.

Capt. Flashy was then shot and stunned and he fell off the rampart but suffered no additional injuries.

As this was going on Bruno 2 and a henchman made a drive towards and through Lenge's.  Mrs. Wolfgang and a henchman backtracked towards the back of the rampart.  Of the 3 henchmen on the West, after shooting the blunderbuss Bratz2 was charged by 2 Estalians as was Bear 3 (with club).  Both went OOA.  Henchman Mobbly 2, who had gone into the building on the NW tried to charge for revenge but tripped in the dark and was easily taken OOA on Chris’ turn. 

Handgunner Traitore' tried to charge up the back of Lenge's but tripped and was also easily taken OOA next turn.

With 8 OOA out of 12, I had enough and routed.

New Estalians kept going North.

The New Estalians got all their heroes but one off before an undead wolf charged him.

So Chris dropped the treasure and routed.

John wins.

Chris had 6 warriors die including the ogre.

One hero was sold to the Pits.  But he won the charge and so won the fight.

For me, Little Billie III, aka Legless Billy died, Blunderbuss wielding gunner Bratz 2 died, and the clubber Bear 3 died.  Chris captured both henchmen sold one to the galleys and the other became crew.

Beardy 2 got Lad’s Got Talent and replaced  the deceased Little Billie III.

I only had 2 heroes to explore with.

I hired 3 henchmen back and still dropped in warband rating again.  This time from 375 to 336.

Quote from: John D
Chris was trying to break out of the middle by going through Jim...sending chaff down my way to hold me up while Chris tried to get his heroes off the board. 

Between the pack of dogs and several of Chris' henchmen, I got a lot of easy kills and managed not to have anyone from my team taken out.

I think I ended up with 3 wyrdstone/treasures from downed heroes when Chris routed as he was about to get ganged by a lot of my guys on the edge of the board.  I got an underdog bonus and almost everyone gained a level so am now right around 400 rating.

Also, that Imperial assassin HS is deadly!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:14:03 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
I have that black trench coat mini. Using him as an Inquisitor for 40K. Such a great sculpt. :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
Another excellent write up! Thouroughly enjoying these!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Thank you for the comments gentlemen.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dead Man's Hand--Jungle Boogie

I was able to make a game night!  I usually don't miss a month of gaming, so I was in withdrawal.
John was able to attend as well, so we had 4 players for the first time in weeks.  Since Jim L and Chris had played 4 games in a row against each other, the only requirement was that they did not face each other this week.  After a bit of negotiation, I drew a fight with Chris.

Now it turns out that Chris has been finding a bunch of Treasure Maps in Exploration.  He has had good fortune with each of them (We use StyrofoamKing's Sartosa rules for Treasure Maps or at least we used to, and now that I have missed a month, we do again, apparently...  :engel: )

Anyway, the upshot is that in addition to making loads of cash last week as a consequence of the Ambush scenario, Chris has also cashed in a bunch of Treasure Maps, so he has a stash of 21 cargo/treasures/wyrdstone.  The New Estalians are rich!  And being rich, he prefers that no one else be rich, so Chris chose to roll on the Jungle scenario table in hopes of rolling a scenario that would not have any extra treasure for me to win.  (I had a special scenario to play that would have allowed both of us the opportunity for extra cash, but Chris rolled higher than I for right to choose scenario...)

So we played:
Jungle Skirmish--The Fog of War
This scenario is one the original Cities of Gold scenarios.  The premise being that the warbands encounter each other in a foggy jungle.  We added a river to make the location a foggy river valley.

We forgot the special campaign rule about Curses (I have a feeling that it has been forgotten for at least a month and I didn't even think of it.)  But we did play with the Random Happenings rules.  Al Bobo encountered a mysterious pool--
5.     A slender pale arm reaches up from the pool, leaving no ripples in the smooth liquid, and pale, delicate fingers touch the hero's chest.  The soft caress causes a faint glow which spreads throughout the hero's body.  Though the glow fades as the arm disappears back into the pool, a feeling of strength and vitality remains behind. The hero gains one additional wound for the rest of the battle.

Thus, Al Bobo took the lead crossing the tree-bridge

He was met by three blunderbuss blasts.  Which he and the rest of the Old Guard absorbed without damage

The battle for the bridge.  That Ogre in the water is actually on the bridge (except that he wouldn't stay there so...)  The die represents my Captain (who wouldn't stand either).

The end is near.  Al Bobo has defeated the Ogre and an ememy henchman on the bridge.  The fog has hidden the Old Guard from the enemy snipers.  The Old Guard is across!

The New Estalian Captain finds herself alone after her bodyguard is cut down by the Old Guard contingent that forded the stream.

The New Estalians flee with the Ogre and five henchmen (last weeks butcher's bill) out of action.  Only one warrior is captured.  He gladly joins the Old Guard.  The New Estalians trade with a friendly merchant and find a brace of pistols in a cargo crate.

The victorious Old Guard return to civilization to trade where they stock up on Bugman's Ale and Blessed Water.  The Old Guard open a crate of alcohol.  Then they surprise a group of lizardmen in Exploration and gain Hunting Arrows and Black Lotus.
Diego de Avila is pressed as a crewman.  He replaces Jorge, who was shot to death by the enemy Captain. (I only lost one warrior in the fight, so he died. :unsure:)

Coming next--The Signpost (A battle between the Undead and the New Bay Watch)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:34:19 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
So cool. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

By the way, saw the picture of the crate of octopus, loved it!

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Thanks GP.

The octopus crate is part of Micro Art Studio's Wolsung: Fish Market set.
https://shop.microartstudio.com/en/scenery/552-fish-market-5900232351800.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Signpost
The Undead and the New Bay Watch race to find a lost road...

John’s vampire found the signpost on his 1st move.

18 undead vs 13 New Bay Watchers

My 2nd turn I rolled event of Minor Mutiny.  [We had joked before the game that because the Bay Watch were the lower rated warband, they would roll a horrible event.  Actually it was a sure bet.]

Only failed 2 times on 1st turn.  I was pretty clumped up around my boss thankfully.

The crossbow firing line failed miserably. 

The vampire was only the closest model on my 3rd shooting turn. He took no wounds.

The thin pyrate line

His ogre has 4 wounds, I took 3 off but that’s all.

Mrs. Wolfgang almost had a dreg but the sucker was toughness 5 in HTH and Mrs. Wolfgang is only strength 3.

Floppy III stood up to the vampire’s charge but could not wound toughness 6.

Wolfgang II the Warlock made a flying charge at the dark elf but failed to hurt him. Then a dreg came to kill Wolfgang II while he was knocked down.

John's Imperial Assassin and my Warlock (Mr Wolfgang II) are the only 2 who died in the fight.

I routed with 7 OOA.

I found a blunderbuss at the Colonial port and Greatcoat in a crate of clothing.

John found a crate of clothing (1 Toughened leathers).

Mrs. Wolfgang has 2 hand injuries now.
I am going to hire one more Warlock.

Interestingly, the only debilitating wounds the Undead have taken have been inflicted by the Bay Watch or the Mary Anns.

The Undead became lost in the jungle for the 3rd time in the campaign.  (I think the Undead have become lost in at least half of their games set in the wilds of the Karribean.)  This sets up the conundrum that the Undead have 'found' the Lost City of Tlax by winning 5 Exploration scenarios, but the warband is also 'lost' themselves...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »
I'm enjoying these reports more and more. It'd be awesome if You'd upload them to Strike-to-Stun forums, just like Padre does with his Tilea campaign.

Gneisenau

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Thank you very much.

It'd be awesome if You'd upload them to Strike-to-Stun forums, just like Padre does with his Tilea campaign
Thanks for the suggestion, though these are not in the same class.  I had no idea that site even existed.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
And Now for Something (almost) Completely Different--Tlax, the City of Ghosts

John couldn't make game night, so the Undead are left lost in the jungle while the living advance to the fabled City of Ghosts.

A Treasure Hunt in Tlax
A multi-player Wyrdstone Hunt

The Old Guard lead the way (despite not having a Friendly Flag and setting up last).

Only the Old Guard are feeling the weight of the Pirate Curse--Hadj must miss a game with a mysterious illness.

The Western Front--New Estalians

All is clumped on the Eastern Front--The New Bay Watch stick together (and ignore the high ground...)

The deadly tower--Guido II and his 'protectors' anchor the Old Guard's right.

End of turn 1--the Old Guard threaten the center of the table.

The hired Ogre anchors the New Estalian left.  I don't wound it in turn 1, but I certainly annoyed it.

The Bay Watch prepare for the worst (out of range and out of sight of their enemies).

Second turn--a lone blunderbuss steps forward to shoot 4 New Estalains (3 heroes and the ogre.  A hero is wounded, but she got better)

The Ogre charges Emilio II (who somehow lives).

The event Twisting of the Air is rolled.  Usually this event doesn't really affect our games.  This time it determined the Battle of the Ogre would go on and on...

Then I rolled the event Ghost Wind.  All living creatures must pass a Leadership test or flee 2D6 toward the nearest table edge.  The Ld 9 Leviathan Hunter and Ld 5 goblin flee from the Old Guard's line.

Big Belly II the pressed goblin flees from the event Ghostly Wind. (He will be shot in the back before he can rally)

Mrs Wolfgang flees the Ghost Wind and plunges into a spawning pool, making her pistols useless for the rest of the game.

5 Bay Watchers fled the Ghost Wind.  These are the henchmen...

Third turn--Captain de Guzman, Francisco and a handgunner draw their rubber swords and charge the ogre...

Turn 4--Everyone is within charge range at the beginning of the turn when I roll a 6 for how much I must add to the distance moved...  So everyone shuffles forward 2"

Turn 5--Al Bobo ends the Battle of the Ogre (only Al Bobo's sword is real apparently).

Everyone steals treasure but Old Guard--in this case New Estalians

Late game--Flying Wolfgang III grabs the last treasure

Skirmishes to the south

End game.  The New Estalians flee with 2 treasures when the ogre falls.  The Bay Watch has been waiting

Waiting too long.  The ambush fails

The New Estalians fled first with one hero, the ogre and lots of henchmen out of action.  (The New Estalian's Tilean fled from the Ghost Wind earlier...) Kapitain Krunch and his blunderbuss are captured by the Old Guard.  Another random crewman is killed outright by the Bay Watch.  The pesky New Estalians gain 2 extra treasures.

The New Bay Watch broke when Bruno II and Mrs Wolfgang fell.  Despite expectations, both heroes fully recovered and gained like +3 Underdog bonus (with the rest of the warband).  The Bay Watch claim 3 treasures and would have won if Juan and Francisco did not have the skill Resilient.  (Strength 3 heroes struggle to when reduced to strength 2...)

The Old Guard win the Battle of Rubber Swords (mostly by not fighting for the treasure in the scenario.)  Instead the Old Guard became obsessed with stopping the ogre (which is apparently Al Bobo's job). Captain de Guzman fully recovered, as did all the henchmen and hired swords injured in the fight.  With 22 bodies on the table, there were too many Old Guard, even if they seemed unarmed and unarmored for most of the fight.

A Witch, who had somehow become trapped by Lizardmen, joins the Old Guard as a result of exploration.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
Dead Man's Hand--The Cursed

Three of us failed our 'curse' roll this week.  Naturally Chris rolled a result that did not apply to his warband...  And John's Undead were not cursed.

The Bay Watch and the Old Guard faced off in:

A Cursed Chance Encounter in the City of Ghosts
The Bay Watch suffered the temporary loss of 1 attack for Bruno II (which likely spared him further injury as warriors with multiple attacks lead from the front in Jim L's warbands, warriors with multiple wounds lead from the rear).

The Old Guard, appropriately enough, rolled the result Curse, which allows the opponent to cast the Witch's spell Curse once per turn if any of the opponent's warriors are within the spell's range of any of the cursed warbands' warriors...  In our campaigns this result is only rolled if you are playing against Jim L, as he will forget all about it.  But, since I wrote the silly rule, I reminded him...

When the two warbands blundered into each other the Old Guard were carrying 2 treasures.  The Bay Watch had only one.

The Bay Watch chose the south west corner of the battlefield.

The Old Guard kept some buildings between them and the Bay Watch crossbows (at least for a turn or two).

Cautious moves to the south

The Bay Watch threaten the detachment near the small temple (I should really name these buildings, too.)  (You may also notice a familiar gold trimmed black tricorn in the Bay Watch mob.  Mrs Wolfgang got an updated model with a zwei-hander.  Mr L was not proud of the conversion though, so no close-up.) 

Dijin Katal the notorious Dark Elf assassin appears behind the Old Guard.  He secretly allies with the Bay Watch.

Bold moves in the center. (Desperation)  The Old Guard heroes rush the Bay Watch attack on the small temple.  Mrs. Wolfgang charges Al Bobo.  Francisco is ganged up on and Cursed.

Mrs Wolfgang is taken ooa.  Francisco is still Cursed.

End game.  Dijin Katal eliminates a goblin then attacks Diego de Avila (who has no chance).

You may note that the Assassin is exposed to a couple of bows at least.  The Old Guard form a firing line and blast the Druchi with a blunderbuss and some arrows.  Threat eliminated.

The Bay Watch flee with Dijin Katal, Mrs Wolfgang, Mr Wolfgang III, and five henchmen out of action. (Also a pair of ravening cold ones appeared behind the survivors right before their turn...)  The Bay Watch had risen to a warband rating of 404 and fifteen members at the beginning of the evening...

One henchmen and Mr Wolfgang III die, two henchmen are captured by the Old Guard and Mrs Wolfgang suffered Multiple Injuries (6!).  The Bay Watch gain 8 gc by selling an artifact they found in exploration.

Bratz 3 captured (6 exp)

Traitore' died (14 exp.)(captured from Chris a long time ago) (I looted his sword & handgun)

Randy captured on her 1st game

Wolfgang 3 died (4 exp extra)

Mrs. Wolfgang is really pissed at her 3rd hand injury !!!  She REALLY hates Al Bobo !

Can I hire someone to do recovery rolls for me?

Found and bought some Healing Herbs 20 gc + 2D6 gc and with Haggle the boss cut the price down by 2 gc.

What a leader !

The Old Guard lose no one, despite having five out of action. The Old Guard gain +3 treasures (by taking Mrs Wolfgang out of action.)  Highlights not pictured include the new witch Esmeralda casting Dust of the Blind each time she tried!

The Old Guard's hired sword bill is now 85 gc per battle.

Coming soon: Dems My Gubbinz!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:09:19 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
Demz My Gubbinz!
A night-time search for Da Sacred Gubbin

The Vampire and his henchmen were lost in the jungle.  By chance they stumble on a forest goblin village to loot, at the same time that the New Estalians arrive with the same purpose.  Except that the foolish humans have arrived after sunset...

The Undead may have found the Sacred Gubbin on the first turn (with the sprinting Vampire).
Reports were that they spent the rest of the game fading into the night haunted jungle...

With New Estalians in pursuit. (Hidden counters represent gubbinz wot iz not sacred.  Deyz wort 2D6 gc.)

Quote from: John D

I lost a dire wolf and a ghoul but came out with the sacred gubbin after 6 turns.  The Undead traded at Port Sigmar. Both henchmen were re-hired and I picked up another imperial assassin, because I love them :)

The defeated Estalians traded at the Cheating Merchant. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:50:24 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Dead Man's Hand--The End May be Near...

John is enjoying a vacation trip, so Chis, Jim L and I ground each others' warbands to dust...

Ambush
In which the Old Guard must transport a hoard of treasure from the Temple of Transcendent Hummingbirds

Naturally the Old Guard failed their 'curse' test.  Greed: Bashful the Pathfinder demanded double his upkeep for this battle (he should have demanded it up front...) The Old Guard were completely out maneuvered.  Not only were they surrounded, but they blew the initiative roll and moved last as well.  As a result four warriors were out of action before the Guard could even move.

Bay Watch snipers to the south.

An assault in the center reaches the temple base.

New Estalian hordes to the north.

Beginning of the first Old Guard turn. In addition to the models shown a goblin, 2 handgunners and a swordsman are already out of action.

The Old Guard break to the north (because there are only 12 Bay Watchers).

Bay Watch targets and a charge

Al Bobo is shot down in one round. Jaun cuts down his opponent.

The bald crossbowman is possessed by a minor daemon.  Take that Floppy III!

The poor crossbowman regains his soul, but collapses out of action due to the strain... (Then there were 10.)

The New Estalians surge up the north stair

Esmeralda the Witch (far right under my elbow) is shot in the back by the guy in the blurry black hat... (6 Old Guard down)

Juan and Bruno II clash

Almah defeats a crewman (already removed) as Captain de Guzman is attacked by the oft widowed Mrs Wolfgang and Beardy III.

A great deal happens.  Captain de Guzman falls to the combined attacks of the Bay Watch heroes.  The event Storm of Chaos happens.  Francisco, Bruno II and one of those New Estalians all become champions of the gods. 

Bruno II defeats an already wounded Francisco (already removed) as Almah fights off the victorious Mrs Wolfgang and Beardy III (8 Old Guard down)

The slaughter on the north stair continues.  Mrs Wolfgang is taken out of action by Hadj, who is then shot down by the firing squad.  Ali bin Ali also falls to missiles. (not pictured but that's 10 down)

Beardy III falls to the Man With No Name and Almah.  Almah is now carrying 9 treasures. (6 Bay Watchers out of action)

The Clash of Champions.  Bruno II defeats the New Estalian champion (whose name I do not know).

Two Swords defeats Bashful the Pathfinder

Holding the stair.  The New Estalian champion has just been removed.  Two Swords attacks Heinrich the former Nordland Marine.

A thin line of gunners hold back the surviving New Estalians to the north

Running for their lives.  Almah survives 6 crossbow shots

Juan flees to the east.

Mopping up.  Bo'sun Critter kills the Man With No Name.

Almah flees

Last chance.  3 throwing knives and one crossbow shot.  Almah takes her first wound of the fight, then escapes!

Bruno II fell to the New Estalians Captain, who also did for Heinrich.  The thin line of Old Guard gunners eventually cut down most the New Estalian crew.  The last Old Guard survivor lay bleeding from a crossbow wound when the New Estalian Captain was shot down in one volley from the Firing Squad that was not shooting at Almah.

The New Estalians flee after rolling an 10 for their subsequent rout test.  At the time they had 4 surviving warriors. (Out of 18)

Almah, Juan and the last gunner escape.  (Out of 23)

The Bay Watch hold the field, but the Old Guard manages to get 12 treasures off the table to win!

Highlights not pictured.  Gomez y Gomez fired his blunderbuss into the mass climbing the stairs and shot 3 of the New Estalians out of action!  You might remember him as the poor fool squashed by the New Estalian ogre two weeks ago. In the Battle for the North Stair, Gomez threw his body between the charging ogre and Guido the Marksman.  Gomez was dashed to the ground, but survived to rise and slay the foul beast! Huzzah!

The New Estalians flee with one hero and three henchmen still standing. 
They lose one crewman captured by the Old Guard and the ogre killed.  A hero will suffer an Animal Attack at our next meeting.

The Bay Watch hold the field with Captain Flashy, Bo'sun Critter, Floppy III and the lone handgunner still standing.  Bruno II the Champion of the Gods is killed.  The Bay Watch recover the two treasures stolen from Francisco...
Mobley 2 killed or captured* (14 exp.)
 New Lad (never got his name) killed or captured*(7 exp.)
[*The store was closing so our end of game rolls were postponed.]

And poor Mrs. Wolfgang with 3 hand injuries now has smashed a leg an may not run anymore. 

Hired a new Cabin Boy to replace Bruno 2.
 Bruno 2 will be sorely missed !

I’m up to 6 wins & 21 losses.

The Old Guard lose Al Bobo captured (and pressganged) by the Bay Watch, in addition Bashful the Pathfinder, The Man With No Name, Gnob the goblin swab, Diego de Avila and Yusef the Merchant's Bodyguard are killed or captured.  Francisco de Gama is robbed.  Hadj becomes hardened. 

The Old Guard are rich, but have high expenses.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:24:44 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm getting some fantastic adventure/shwashbuckling/Assassin's Creed IV vibes from this thread. It is really something special. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
@Xathrodox86--Thanks very much amigo.  I am glad you enjoy them.
Dead Man's Hand--The Haunted Treasure
The Undead race the Old Guard to steal The Ghoul King's treasure

Chis and Jim L were unavailable this week.  So John and I got together for Sundayheim.  The plot is that a renegade Ghoul King haunts the City of Ghosts.  The Undead have tracked the Ghoul King to his lair, but foolish mortals interfere...

It was a clear night in Lustria.  The Old Guard drained a keg of Bugman's Ale and ventured into the City of Ghosts...

Hadji suffered -1 Toughness from the Pirate Curse.  He got better later. (And I forgot the possibility of using the Witch's potion for another game...)

End of Turn 1: the foolish scout Anibal has been dispatched by the Ghoul King and his minions. (Anibal has already been removed)  The Old Guard look on in shock.

Turn 2: the fleet (but slightly crippled) vampire and his sprinting necromancer slip past the distracted guards and grab the treasure!  (On your left the Ogre and his friends have slaughtered the ghouls guarding that side...)

The sprinting necromancer reaches the treasure (a black bead) and stuns a ghoul with a sneaky spell.  The vampire will take care of the other guard later... (Also a work in progress shot of my newest terrain feature)

I roll the event Vampire Bats!  The Bats swoop in and send one of the invading ghouls out of action.  Go Bats!  (Then the ogre and friends kill the bats...)

Captain de Guzman and Hadj shoot the Ghoul King down (I roll a lot of sixes in a row. Yeah me!) Almah charges and eventually destroys a ghoul minion.  Jaun kills another. (The other crawls away into the jungle...)

Turn 3: Suddenly the night is invaded by pesky swamp flies from the nearby river.  All living combatants suffer -1 WS and BS.

It is too late.  Denn die Todten reiten Schnell (At the end of the third turn the vampire and necromancer are nearly off the table. They will be gone at the beginning of the 4th turn.)

The Estalians advance past the fallen guardians. Their dim torches illuminate Fat Edric standing over the impaled body of a huge abomination in the center of a corridor of massive stone blocks.  Cruelly hacked bodies of smaller abominations littered stones around him, but the fabled treasure was gone.  The night rang with mocking laughter, then there was silence.

The Old Guard only suffered the swordsman Anibal of action.  He got better.  In the ruins the Old Guard discover a forgotten dungeon cell occupied by several unfortunate captives.  The swordsman Caspar joins the crew once he is freed from the prison.  The Old Guard find 2 lucky charms on sale and one dose of Healing Herbs.  Fat Edric creates a Rabbit's Foot to replace the one stolen from Francisco.

The Undead liberate the Ghoul King's treasure for the victory.  For once they gain no Underdog Bonus from the Old Guard! (The Old Guard lost over 100 points of warband rating last week) However the ghoul taken out of action by the Vampire Bats contracts the Curse of the Blood Drinker!  It is now a were-vampire bat (Thing in the Woods).  The other hench-ghoul recovers and so does the pesky ghoul hero (even with a spear sticking out him!).

The fabulous treasure turns out to be some dust and 10gc. (Like all the other fabulous treasures in this cursed campaign...)

Hopefully we will be able to have a regular game night this coming week...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:23:32 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Man, following this thread makes me want to start a WFRP campaign, set in Lustria or Southlands. :blush:

Maybe even on these forums...

Gneisenau