home

Author Topic: Up and up and up....  (Read 14341 times)

Offline Dosiere

• Members
Re: Up and up and up....
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 04:44:21 AM »
Is there a reason why the prices are so high in Australia?  Does it have something to do with taxing imports?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 05:00:47 AM »
It has to do with GW being Jerks.
They have priced it when the exchange rate was poor. When the exchange rate was better, they instead decided to ban cross-country shipping and kept prices unchanged. Now exchange rates are about middle of the road, but the prices are still ridiculous.

There is a GST applied of 10%. I don't think there is any kind of significant import tax.

Our current government are idiots though. There is currently a tax free import allowed on items under $1000.
They are about to remove that to protect the local retail sector, but really all its doing is mean we pay more for the same thing because the local retail sector won't innovate to compete.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:43 AM »
I was having lunch at a resort in Hawaii once, my wife was suffering terrible morning sickness so was asleep, so at the bar it was just me and a drunk American businessman. He was a nice guy, we had a good chat - and he was trying to give me some advice. He said if he wanted to invest in Australia, which he didn't, but if he did, he'd invest in our Retail sector because it's absolute garbage and basically any successful foreign strategy would make a huge impact. He obviously knew what he was talking about, since he was referencing specific shops in Sydney where I live. Can't help but agree with him, and with Warlord above.

They do it because they can, basically, and because there is no serious competition here. There are other issues as to why Aussies don't patronise local shops apart from price, like the terrible service and lack of range, but yeah.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 05:10:08 AM »
Ah, exchange rates.  I assume even with new releases they use the older poorer ratein the name of consistency?

Now that you say that, wasn't there some drama about buying stuff on eBay and shipping to Australia some time ago?  I assume that's related to what you're talking about.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:57:05 AM »
EBay if over $1000.

It was also about GW removing the ability to ship internationally.

Which was how I used to older things in bulk.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
And again ... folks wonder why other folks aren't thrilled with GW.  It's total garbage why they're charging higher prices to Australia.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
I just turned 29 today so my heart's probably okay, but I feel sorry for you old geezers who know what old miniatures of good quality cost and now see how much GW wants for their new crap stuff.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 02:48:34 AM »
I just turned 29 today so my heart's probably okay, but I feel sorry for you old geezers who know what old miniatures of good quality cost and now see how much GW wants for their new crap stuff.

It's rough. I remember being able to get 4 or 5 halflings or goblins for 5 USD. However with patience I've found I can still get pre/early slotta stuff for $3-$4 each on ebay. I've started picking up sculpts I missed/never saw back then.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:08 AM »
Oh it's worse than I realized.  I've shifted away from buying much GW stuff, and was a bit stunned at seeing some of the prices for the most recent items they've been releasing when I walked into another store today.  Individual figures and sets of figures were being priced at ridiculous prices, particularly compared to older items, as well as other manufacturers currently.  From just a cost perspective, at first it was truely disappointing.

Someone had mentioned the idea that GW's site that only one single figure was below $10.  When I actually picked up items off the shelves and looked at the price, and continued to pick up more that I was interested in buying, and continually finding costs above $10, it really began to hit home how atrocious the current pricing situation is for the GW products.  It actually became easy to not buy, and my disappointment went mroe towards the backround of my conciousness, and I went back to why I came to the store in the first place, look for older figures that I want more of before they become unavailable.

Even the greatswords I bought the other day are 10 for just a tad over $8 each, which isn't inexpensive, yet at least they are still quality and mix and matchable, where as this newer stuff makes it harder to work with one's creativity.  Oh well, life goes on, and I won't let their cruddy prices keep me from having fun with the hobby. :icon_cool:

And yes, I'm hunting for some of those older figures, at costs that are still less than the cruddy one's GW is currently charging. :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
Take a look at the newest figure releases and their prices on GW's site.  It's more "Woah" is me, and it's not even shocking or unbelievable, because hey, this is GW's ongoing trend.  Charging large dollar amounts for quantities of figures, and the thinking must be that once a person buys that starter set, they'll want to buy more.

And then there's a part of me that still wants to pick up a few more of the older Empire sets before those suddenly see a price increase, before they all move off to the land of an exploding world.

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
And yet people still say GW was always expensive - but it really wasn't!

I started only in 2007. Stuff was cheap then. A Carnifex was £25. Hell, the Tyranid Battleforce was £50, and came with a Genestealer Brood, Hormagaunt Brood, Termagaunt Brood, a Warrior Brood, and a Carnifex. Oh, and the Gaunts and Warriors came with a free Ripper base each.

Since the Gaunt Brood used to be a combined box, it worked out at saving you £25 - the Fex was essentially free.

And Fantasy... man, I started with Dogs of War (yes, in 7th) and it was so much cheaper starting that than it was starting regular stuff now.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
I think instead of doing the annual price rise across teh range, for the last few years they've been bringin up the price above inflation by puttin on the new stuff.   When you look at Greatswords and think they're ok priced, it's easy to forget the fuss cause by the price of the new Goldswords as they were called for a while.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
Yep, the older we get, the more inflation adjusts the perspective.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
Yep, the older we get, the more inflation adjusts the perspective.

But it's not "inflation" as much as inflated prices. The price increases have far exceeded the rate of inflation.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »
GW's rate of inflation seems to be greater than the actual overall rate of inflation, no doubt.  Yet it's still inflation, and it does seem to change the perspective.  The concept of scarcity is also factoring into my current desire to obtain some items, before the price potentially goes up, and eventually the product explodes into the oblivion of the path GW seems to be taking as well.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
And yet people still say GW was always expensive - but it really wasn't!

I started only in 2007. Stuff was cheap then. A Carnifex was £25. Hell, the Tyranid Battleforce was £50, and came with a Genestealer Brood, Hormagaunt Brood, Termagaunt Brood, a Warrior Brood, and a Carnifex. Oh, and the Gaunts and Warriors came with a free Ripper base each.

Since the Gaunt Brood used to be a combined box, it worked out at saving you £25 - the Fex was essentially free.

Firstly, I am not defending their prices, but there is a reason that example is quite unjustified. The current Tyranid Swarm box set (priced at £105) http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Tyranid-Swarm , would cost around £195 if bought seperately. So that's quite a bit extra, although it's probably the only example I can think of though, where I have seen a decent 'deal'
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
That 40K box set is the best deal that I can recall currently.  Not to turn this into a 40K thread, yet as an aside, I am wondering if Tyranids are being currently played in the 40K realm?

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
The new AoS at $125 is a pretty good deal in comparison to $50 for 5 Sigmarines or $40 for one(!!!) Castellan hero and his little pet griffon hound.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
I agree.  If I recall correctly, over the years the starter sets have always been relatively excellent deals.  My first purchase of one of these was the Empire and Orc set for 6th Edition, then Goblins and Dwarfs for 7th, and Skaven and HEs for 8th.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 06:29:16 PM »
The first box I got had cardboard special characters (Eltharion and a cardboard bolt thrower) so I must say the quality has at least got more three-dimensional.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »
Remember the press-together plastic Space Marines? Man, those guys were bad.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »
Sometimes leafing through these digital copies of White Dwarf hurts. I haven't been in the hobby for that long, started in about 2004 but had first contact in the late 1990s. I would gape at the things there. At that point, even the Orks and Goblins tickled my fancy, even though it was the Empire that had my interest by virtue of being humans. It's the same thing that drew me to the Imperial Guard...But I digest.... I bought the Empire vs Orks starter set for 120 guilders. Roughly, in euro, that would be 55 euro. But of course, on top of getting the shaft by the euro (foolish idea, we even voted no but we still got it..) GW added to it. I can't look up what the Island of Blood costs but trust me, it will be much more than 55. You see, what a lot of companies did was simply change our beloved guilder, which still had the abbreviation fl, for florin, to the euro. So a product that once cost 5 guilders would be 5 euro. In short, doubled in price. Most of the time they didn't even bother to do the currency exchange of 1 euro equals 2,2(etc) guilders. So you can see how GW's products are even more expensive.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
If can't recall what I paid for each of those 3 edition's starter sets,, but I know 6th was much less than 7th, and 7th much less than 8th.  I staretd my Empire army wiht the 6th edition starter set, bought the 7th edition starter set more for the small rules handbook, and the same with the 8th edition starter, except I did start my Skaven army with that.  The Orcs went to a then lady friends son (although they sit in my cabinet now because he went off to the military back then and he hasn't claimed them back yet), the Dwarfs and Goblins are still sitting in their box, and the HE's are as well.  I actually like the HE figures and hope to some day paint those up.  Maybe the Dwarfs and Goblins at some poitn as well.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
Remember the press-together plastic Space Marines? Man, those guys were bad.

Yes, but back then plastics were intended to be a cheap way to fill out an army while you saved up for the nicer models. A lot of time mine would get passed from unit to unit as the army grew. I bought the command for all the units and would fill the rest with empty stands or plastic proxies. As the army grew the empty stands went away first, and the plastic guys would often end up as fill ins for units with completely different weapons, until eventually they disappeared except for the odd few that went back to their proper unit type to bulk up the numbers a bit.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Just went on Amazon to see prices there - truly crazy. 10 plastic black orcs = £74.58 plus postage. Huh??? More than £7 per plastic figure. £149 for a decent sized unit. Has the world gone truly mad? What I don't get is they're £25.50 at GW (Still too much for 10 plastic infantry figures). £21.68 at Independent web based.

I take it then that the Amazon listing is just preying on the overly rich and naive?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/