home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 132663 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
I wish exeter had an LGS like that.

I cant really do a september weekend, baby due 18th.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
The Mrs is away 8th to 18th so it would have to be 12th / 13th.
It was just an idea and short notice, but Matt may come home for a couple of days so I'll get some games in - we'll see.

Is that Stafford, rufus?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
I might be able to do that weekend. Maybe FR1DAY would be interested too?

Is that Stafford, rufus?

The gaming shop? It's in Sheffield!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
I might be able to do that weekend. Maybe FR1DAY would be interested too?

Is that Stafford, rufus?

The gaming shop? It's in Sheffield!
Yes I guessed Sheffield - I thought that's where Stafford Games were?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:21 PM »
I've never heard of them! It's Wargames Emporium in the town center.
If I wanted to.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
Is that the one up the iron stairs, inside the walls of that shopping center surrounding the little plaza near Virgin Megastore?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18:42 AM »
Nope.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
With respect, GP; how do you know? Your location is given as the US and nothing you have written I am aware of suggests you are a transplant.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
Sorry guys im at a wedding in london that weekend.

Thats a small table you are playing on. 3x2 foot?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
I've never heard of them! It's Wargames Emporium in the town center.

Yes I'm having another senior moment - Wargames Emporium are one of the main dealers Northstar use for selling stock at shows. For some reason I thought Stafford Games were also in Sheffield - however it turns out they are in ............ wait for it  ................ Stafford.
Which is over on the M6.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »
With respect, GP; how do you know? Your location is given as the US and nothing you have written I am aware of suggests you are a transplant.
I was moving quickly and must've put in the wrong address. Google is my friend when it gets the correct info. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
Tried to buy Frostgrave from North Star Figures. Bastards don't accept anything but credit or debit cards. And the debit card I have isn't supported.
Idea: If North Star doesn't have a solution, maybe I can have one of you fine UK folks can order with them, then I can wire you back the amount owed via Paypal. Is this an option?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:21:55 AM by Syphon »
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
Perhaps you have a weird debit card! Can't you use paypal?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:07:27 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
Paypal isn't an option.
Apparently Nick got fed up with their terms and conditions, and fees, I suspect.
I think he does do the odd one, but it is rare.

I pay quite a bit with Paypal, but I must admit I have only received money through it a couple of times in the last 4 years. I know that the last time I tried to 'gift' some money to a fellow member on a trade it didn't work and they took a commission.

I think there is a new payment system planned - it was mentioned a month or so back. Currently their paysite only checks your card out, and they add shipping afterwards.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
Paypal isn't an option.
Apparently Nick got fed up with their terms and conditions, and fees, I suspect.
I think he does do the odd one, but it is rare.

I pay quite a bit with Paypal, but I must admit I have only received money through it a couple of times in the last 4 years. I know that the last time I tried to 'gift' some money to a fellow member on a trade it didn't work and they took a commission.

I think there is a new payment system planned - it was mentioned a month or so back. Currently their paysite only checks your card out, and they add shipping afterwards.

You have to be smart about it. Never classify your transfer of money as business. Always as a gift from a friend to a friend, something like that.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
It's Frostgrave night tonight. I'm going to try out an Illusionist warband:

Illusionist (sword/dagger)
Apprentice (sword/dagger)
Tracker
2 Archers
Crossbowman
Thief
2 Thugs

Only nine models because I'm hoping to summon a contruct. Spellwise, I'm taking: glow, transpose, illusionary solider, shield, reveal secret, write scroll, animate construct, raise zombie.

With luck, that means I'll have a construct, illusionary knight, and a zombie. If I manage to write a scroll, I'll make it animate construct - I can then immediately use it to get a large construct. Giant robot!

Or I could fail all my rolls and start with nothing extra.

Here are my Illusionists:
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Sounds fun! I want this...
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
+1 for giant robots.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
I just got a message from Nick. We can work something out. Stoked! :)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
Huzzah all around! Do the various minions have different special rules?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Do the various minions have different special rules?

The game is fairly light on special rules, so mostly just the stats are different. But a few things do have special rules, like ice toads having powerful jaws that cause more damage.

Here's my warband getting ready for a game last night:

I had five spells that are cast before the game, which would allow me some of the following:

Small construct, large construct (giant robot!), illusionary knight, zombie. The large construct is much harder to construct than the small one, but as I said above you can dodge the casting roll requirement if you use a scroll. However, I failed to write a scroll, so built the small construct instead (there's also a medium construct, but since enchantment is a neutral school for an illusionist it would have been too difficult to make). Bigger constructs are tougher and fightier, but move more slowly.

An illusionary soldier can do anything a normal one can, apart from cause damage or pick up treasure. They vanish as soon as they take damage. So a knight, with his high fight and armour values, should last longest. He can tie people up in combat, add combat support bonuses, and do various other things all without actually existing. Unfortunately, I failed to cast the spell.

The zombie is slow and bad at fighting, but is fairly tough. I failed to raise one. You can also cast this spell in game, but I failed there too.

My last out-of-game spell was reveal secret, which lets you place a bonus treasure marker near your deployment zone. I successfully cast this!

So I had only three spells that could be cast during the game (oh, and raise zombie). Glow makes the target much more vulnerable to shooting attacks for the rest of the game. Shield gives a model a bonus to armour. Transpose allows me to swap the position of any two models within 10" of each other (even if they're in combat - and even if they're enemy models, though in that case they get to try to resist the spell).

I played my necromancer opponent from last week again. This time he had a summoned bear, which is quite a powerful fighter.

On the left side of the board, my illusionist, backed by a thug, tracker and the walking book construct, faced off against the bear, a treasure hunter, a thief, and the necromancer's apprentice. While the enemy thief ran off with some treasure, my wizard and tracker took on the bear and my book and thug faced the treasure hunter. Both combats went extremely well for me, and after two rounds bear and treasure hunter were out of action. The necropprentice decided to flee to a rooftop with a leap spell, putting him beyond my reach... so my wizard made him glow, and the tracker took him out with a bowshot.

In the center, my apprentice told the thief to run forward and pick up some treasure, before transposing him with herself (so putting him and the treasure near my board edge, ready to escape with it). The apprentice and a thug then took on an enemy thug. This combat went badly at first, but eventually the enemy thug was defeated. The apprentice picked up the treasure, then transposed with the thug after he'd run towards the board edge (carrying treasure makes you move at half rate).

On the right, my two archers and the crossbowman faced the necromancer, two archers, a crossbowman, and a thief (plus a zombie, once he'd raised one). I deployed my crossbowman on top of a high, ruined building, thinking this would give him a good vantage point. Which it did, but it also made him a really obvious target. He spent a couple of turns being shot at by every missile weapon on the other side before finally dying. With an archer, I got a lucky hit on the necromancer that took him out of action. His thief took some treasure and left, while the archery duel continued. My archers took out his crossbowman and wounded one of his archers.

By this time, my illusionist was moving across the board after triumphing on her side. She used glow on an archer that was trying to make off with some treasure, allowing the tracker to shoot him down. After another turn, the remaining models on the necromancer's side had been defeated.

Next week = campaign!

If I wanted to.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
Stoked! Got an invoice today, paid it so soon I will also be graving frost. I got a Necromancer and an Illusionist. The Necromancer will remain as is, though I think I will combine some of his goonies with parts of the GW skeletons I still have lying around.
The Illusionist will get a sword because, come on, that guy needs a sword:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »
Fluffwise, the idea is that illusionists look as though they are unarmed, but produce swords out of the air when they need them. But I gave mine a small staff, because having two empty hands waving around looks a bit odd.
If I wanted to.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Fluffwise, the idea is that illusionists look as though they are unarmed, but produce swords out of the air when they need them. But I gave mine a small staff, because having two empty hands waving around looks a bit odd.

I know, that's why I was thinking of painting it to look like glass. I also have another idea, but the attainability of that is questionable.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
Magical people always need staffs.

I think Van Halfling needs to make a campaign appearance somehow.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all