home

Author Topic: What is better?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
What is better?
« on: June 16, 2003, 07:50:56 PM »
What is the best choice of list to take against all coming foes? would it be a swarm army? what about a all knight army or a shooting an magic army? Or theres the other choice of taking an all round army?  I want to create a list that can take all comers. Ive succesfully done so using a fairly shooty army yet when anyone gets close they get counterchared by the knights but its weakness is fast armies. but this was only 1000pts.

I guess this is like asking for the ultimate list but does anyone have any suggestions?
Citizen Erased

Offline George

• Members
What is better?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 10:04:22 PM »
Don't we all want that perfect generic army...

I just played a small tournament with some friends on the weekend. We played three randomly determined games of 2000pts. The only rule was you had to field the same army for each.

Against Dark Elves, Dwarves and Tomb Kings I found this army quite successful. (Sadly I did lose each battle, but only just - 11pts from draw with TK- but each was determined by a single battle in which I rolled poorly. Note the dwarves chased 10 inches (a roll of 11) to win.)

Warrior Priest (General)
Armour Metoric Iron, Sigil of Sigmar, Great Weapon

Wizard Lord Lvl 4 (Fire)
White Cloak, 2 x Dispel scrolls

BSB
Full Plate Armour, Banner of Sigismund

Battle Captain on Pegasus
Full Plate, Longbow, Lance

15 Greatswords Full Command Griffon Banner (with WP)

34 Swordsmen Champion, Muscian (with BSB)

16 Handgunners Marksmen with Repeater Hgun

20 Archers

10 Huntsmen

5 Knights Panther 1st Knight

Great Cannon

Hellblaster

This army had solid magic defence against DE (who had 2 lvl2 magic plus Morathi on Pegasus), but was able to project its magic superioity against the dwarves. The BC on Pegasus worked a treat. 1st time I used a Hellblaster (had to borrow it)...must buy one now!

Losses could have easily been wins with more experience.

Any thoughts?
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Unsung Zero

• Members
What is better?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 04:47:07 PM »
i try my best to field an all comers generic empire army that is fair yet tough.  So far, ive lost twice out of 20 + games, yet ill admit that some of my opponents have made less than wise decisions.

I use in 1500 pts
Warrior priest leading 5 knights IC warbanner
Capt Peg
Wiz lvl 2 RoP
2x25swordsmen w/ 10 fc each
10 handgunners
1 cannon
1 mortar
6 pistoliers w/ marks repeater
and 5 huntsmen

works pretty well...Ive massacred everything other than the new lizardmen, beastmen and highelves as I havent played them yet.  My only 2 losses were because of inopportune failed panic checks and the like.  Empire really suffers at 1500 pts with a max ldrship of 8.  Example, on turn 1 a irresistable force magic charge on boar riders the guy rolled 11 inches distance on 2d6, made the charge by half an inch on my swordsmen, my detachment could not counter charge b/c it was not the enemies movement phase, the swordsmen whiffed, lost combat by 1, rolled an 8 ldrship, failed, were run down by the boar riders...my knights then rolled an 11 ldrship, fled to the right of the combat, this took them to be within 8 inches of the night goblins, this caused the fanatics to come out, the first fanatic rolled a 6 and wiped out the whole unit of knights...this was very unfortunate because this left me with only 1 durable combat unit to phase his large savage orc unit, a large black orc unit and anotherlarge regular orc unit...oh boy.  I spent the rest of the game retreating, leading the savage orcs around and panicing the orcs and gobbos...I didnt lose much for the rest of the game but I didnt kill all that much other than a pair of chariots, ogres, and 2 wizards.

The other loss was an awful roll to dispell a tk incantation causing a screaming skull catapult to panic both units of swordsmen off the board before I even got a chance to move (man those are nasty)...However I had already massacred the guy a few times so i cant complain.
Its like my grandmother always used to say, why buy the whole cow, when you can get the sex for free!

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
What is better?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 05:19:45 PM »
I have many ideas for armys that can generally take all comers. Ive found that going for the shooty and magic route is been the most succesful for me. basically the concept is simple- shoot em till they dont move no more. but i find this type of army boring to play with.

others ideas have been swarm ideas consisting of mainly swordsman units with free company detachments. because of the detachment rule this makes for a really fun battle as individually the units are not important. but the army takes too long to paint in a large pointed battle scale. im taking part in another small scale campain soon at only 1000 points taking on a different range of armies.

wizard scroll caddy- 110
warrior priest- g'weapon, hv armour- 103
captain-g'captain, full plate- 62

20 spearmen+command- 145
20 swordsmen+command- 165

5 white wolves+command, warbanner-190

1cannon-100

1000 exactly i think. any sugestions? i thought about bigger units of infantry.
Citizen Erased