home

Author Topic: 6th or 7th Edition???  (Read 5963 times)

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
Re: 6th or 7th Edition???
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »
6th ed all the way. It has none of this herhammer nonsense and has the most balance, when it comes to army books. Not to mention all of its campaign books were pure gold.

The only problem with 6th is that some of the army books had some rules that were just plain bad, and not fun. Intrigue at court from the HE book comes to mind immediately, but there are a few others as well. Most of those could simply be dropped without it having a significant impact on the game.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:37 AM »
6th ed all the way. It has none of this herhammer nonsense and has the most balance, when it comes to army books. Not to mention all of its campaign books were pure gold.

The only problem with 6th is that some of the army books had some rules that were just plain bad, and not fun. Intrigue at court from the HE book comes to mind immediately, but there are a few others as well. Most of those could simply be dropped without it having a significant impact on the game.

True, altough that wasn't a really bad or game breaking rule. It added a really nice flavor to HE, and during the time of 6th I was still playing them. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »

True, altough that wasn't a really bad or game breaking rule. It added a really nice flavor to HE, and during the time of 6th I was still playing them. ;)

Honestly I didn't care for that flavor at all. It's kind of an interesting fluff piece, but it's not a good gaming rule. The effectiveness of your army shouldn't be decided on  a pregame die roll.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »

Honestly I didn't care for that flavor at all. It's kind of an interesting fluff piece, but it's not a good gaming rule. The effectiveness of your army shouldn't be decided on  a pregame die roll.

That's true, altough I still preffered my army nerfed in this manner, then being OP with universal ASF and magic bull.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
7th's books were what hampered it more than anything. 8th's classifications were nice, and it did a lot of tidying up, but a lot was lost as well.

Do be wary of the Fear and Terror in particular, though. Those swung games way too easily.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
You might want to give Kings of War a try, it was made by Allessio Calvatore (who was in charge of Warhammer during 6th and I think early 7th edition), and it feels somewhat like it took the good parts of Warhammer 6th/7th edition (movement and flanking) without its flaws, I consider Kings of War to be like the cousin of 8th edition, having been created to fix some of the same problems from late 7th edition but using different solutions for some of them.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
7th's books were what hampered it more than anything. 8th's classifications were nice, and it did a lot of tidying up, but a lot was lost as well.

Do be wary of the Fear and Terror in particular, though. Those swung games way too easily.

Terror and Fear are very poorly implemented in 8th edition. So if my 3 meters tall Griffon dosen't charge, then it's not scary? WTF?

Gneisenau

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
The pendulum swung the other way from 6th and 7th where Terror and Fear were too overpowered.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Perhaps it could have been fixed, if a unit that passes a Terror/Fear against an enemy does not have to take another Terror/Fear test against that particular enemy for the rest of the game.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 10:09:16 PM »
Terror did only apply to a unit once, at least in 6th.  You didn't have to flee the Griffon repeatedly.
I did love that a charge could turn into a rout, though. 
     "I charge..." *rolls Terror test* "Never mind, I flee."
     "Flee?  But it's your turn!  And he's not even within 6 inches!"
     "I guess the sergeant pointed out the Dragon to his men...?"
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »
Terror did only apply to a unit once, at least in 6th.  You didn't have to flee the Griffon repeatedly.

That was true in 7th as well. But note that I wrote "Terror/Fear." Fear could not be lost.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »
Fear was a pain in the ass. My friend ran the unbeatable zombie/ghoul army. 40-man zombie blocks, dirt cheap, lock you in combat and ghouls got in on your flanks. Lots of autobreaking.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
Fear was a pain in the ass. My friend ran the unbeatable zombie/ghoul army. 40-man zombie blocks, dirt cheap, lock you in combat and ghouls got in on your flanks. Lots of autobreaking.

Priests would help with that, and some magic banners. I agree that Fear and Terror were kinda hard back there, but in 8th they've turned that around and made it useless.

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Well, not quite useless, but, certainly with the BSB re-roll of the test, less useable.

Offline Anubis

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
I started in 6th edition, but I always found 7th edition rules to be the overall best. With 8th edition ending my group of friends and I are going to revert to 7.5 edition using most of 7th, but incorporating some of 8th (not auto dying if fleeing through 5 enemies models for example).

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
The one change I really liked about 8th was to add the Wizard level to casting and dispelling. That would have worked perfectly for 6th/7th edition spells, which were not overpowered. Lore attributes are a nice idea too.