home

Author Topic: Armor for monster mounts  (Read 23881 times)

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
Re: Armor for monster mounts
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
We invented the computer and the internet so therefore everything should be spelled with real English on the web. We also invented the light bulb, not that Thomas Edison fellow.

I fixed your mistakes for you.

Wrong on all counts. Don't forget electricity, discovered by a very famous American...

Pfft I makes no mistakes young lad arr.
I blame my upbringing.

And.. right on all accounts?

I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
We invented the computer and the internet so therefore everything should be spelled with real English on the web. We also invented the light bulb, not that Thomas Edison fellow.

Wrong on all counts. Don't forget electricity, discovered by a very famous American...

1. Edison didnt invent the light bulb - that goes to Thomas Swan, Edison developed the incandescant bulb that is now used.

2. Jefferson didnt discover Electricity. That would be the ancient greek inventor Thales, or the English courtier to Elizabeth I, William Gilbert.

As an aside, Edison was a crook, thief, corrupt and a liar and there is some indications, a murderer.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »
Tim Lee invented the internet too. He's definately English and very rich. Technically the lightbulb was invented way earlier it was just completely unusable.

Is the murderer from irradiating the guy? Cause radiation wasn't as well known about then so it's hardly murder. Even Tesla didn't know about radiation.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »
Sorry for thread-jacking lol

I am talking about Augustin le Prince

Anyway, flying monsters shouldnt get armour, unless its in their nature i.e. a dragon, but they should be much cheaper to reflect their easy killability.

Or dont make them large creatures so they can hide behind otehr units.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 06:04:21 AM »
Sorry for thread-jacking lol

I am talking about Augustin le Prince

Anyway, flying monsters shouldnt get armour, unless its in their nature i.e. a dragon, but they should be much cheaper to reflect their easy killability.

Or dont make them large creatures so they can hide behind otehr units.

Holy Shit!  Freaky stuff in that link.

Hmm, make them less than a large target...that's interesting, but won't it drastically affect certain rules against it?  The Bretonnian "killing blow against big things" trinket comes to mind as a painfully easy-to-exploit example...
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Make em US3 or something

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
Give them the ability to "Play dead"  :smile2:

Seriously, I can't imagine a griffon flying (at all) with the amount of barding it would have to wear to represent full plate armour (not the new GS standard FPA...).

Maybe if it lost the ability to fly? It would still be a pretty powerful monster in close combat, although it loses it's prime ability after terror.

Had we had a ground beast, like the wood elf great bull, it might as well have been an armoured behemoth :-) Oooh, Imperial Juggernaught anyone? :-) Wouldn't you say we need more engineer mounts?  :engel:

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
General on a Stank?

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
If the griffon loses its ability to fly due to armor, I can't see it being worth it.  Mobility is a huge asset in any army, and without flight I'd feel a griffon is not worth it without some other changes.  I mean, that would make it a large target that would have to plod along towards the enemy, facing monster destroyers all the way.  Would armor give it the durability to make it worth the trade?  I don't know, but I don't think so.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »

1. Edison didnt invent the light bulb - that goes to Thomas Swan, Edison developed the incandescant bulb that is now used.

2. Jefferson didnt discover Electricity. That would be the ancient greek inventor Thales, or the English courtier to Elizabeth I, William Gilbert.

As an aside, Edison was a crook, thief, corrupt and a liar and there is some indications, a murderer.

I'm not referring to Jefferson. I meant Franklin.

Armor is good, as long as it doesn't get overboard, in either direction.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

I'm not referring to Jefferson. I meant Franklin.

Armor is good, as long as it doesn't get overboard, in either direction.

Either way, they didnt invent or discover electricity ;)

In either direction? well since there is none at the moment it can only go one way :D

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »
I meant as long as it didn't give a 3+ save with no penalties, or a 6+ with no flying and 1/2 movement.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:11 AM »
Ok, a few things.

1 - comparing the War Altar and the Griffon in points cost is like comparing a Dark Elf spearman with Lothern Sea Guard.
On is clearly underpriced for its effectiveness, while the other is overpriced.
The War Altar needs a price increase. Common consensus is either 125 to 150pts.
The Griffon needs a price drop. I say 160pts

2 - armour on a mount. When I say full plate, I really only mean the weight and amount of armour that full plate would be on a man, covering vital bits. A griffon is big - the amount of armour it takes to cover a man head to toe would cover a griffons back. Thats what I call full plate (even though its not actually...)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »
Ok, a few things.

1 - comparing the War Altar and the Griffon in points cost is like comparing a Dark Elf spearman with Lothern Sea Guard.
On is clearly underpriced for its effectiveness, while the other is overpriced.
The War Altar needs a price increase. Common consensus is either 125 to 150pts.
The Griffon needs a price drop. I say 160pts

Even under the current pricing, I think dropping it to 160 makes it a much better option simply from a tactical standpoint.  I'm not as concerned about upping the cost of the altar, certainly not unless other armies are going to be brought into line as well.  After all, if every other army becomes overpowered (not saying they all are, but if it happened), then we cease to be most balanced and become the weakest.  GW either needs to balance the unbalanced armies, or improve the balanced ones to match them (tough with us, since I already feel we're about the most balanced one out there).

2 - armour on a mount. When I say full plate, I really only mean the weight and amount of armour that full plate would be on a man, covering vital bits. A griffon is big - the amount of armour it takes to cover a man head to toe would cover a griffons back. Thats what I call full plate (even though its not actually...)

Well, that's not really "full plate", but now I get where you're going with this.  :wink:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
To answer the thread title.

Yes
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
I think Wiss is onto something here. I still think it would be viable to take as often straying too close to a unit of handgunners or crossbowmen, heck even some lucky archers can cause your monster to end up a pincushion and it's so frustrating to know that all they need is a couple of lucky 6s and the VPs start leaking out. They are not that hard to bring down with small missile fire.

Warmachines should kill them, so that is ok. Arrows should too in large quantities, I don't deny that, but I think a little protection could make sense if one wanted to take it. I almost always take extra armour over extra guys as it's amazing how often those 5s or 6s get rolled in a pinch.

I like the idea of a few more monsters daring to fly onto the table, they are just too delicate right now though, those with saves already ignored.

Perhaps as extra incentive, the rider could get +1 from it too, like they do with barding on a normal steed...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline redflag

• Members
  • An Orc Elector Count!
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 04:43:54 AM »
1.  Reduce the point cost of a Griffon and give it a heavy armor/full plate  upgrade. Rather than reduce the movement of the Griffon you can reduce its initiative.   
2.  Allow the Griffon to be ridden by a Captain at the cost of an extra hero slot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:57:49 AM by redflag »

Offline Zalminen

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
Light armor? Sure.
Heavy armor? Umm, maybe.
But full plate? It just feels wrong.

I just can't picture a griffon flying wearing enough metal to qualify for 'full plate'.  :-o

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
I think an armour option would be great.  Do you know how many times my big chicken has gone down to some Skinks?  Too many.

Also, imagine how awesome that model would look!
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
Make the Griffon 150pts and it already comes with armour (4+)

Offline Helborg

• Members
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
Give it a speach bubble saying "NONE SHALL PASS!!" (The knight, not the griffon)

Sanj
i should really pull my trousers up now.  :icon_eek:

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 04:20:33 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Victor. While an armor save is an excellent idea for griffins, there is absolutely no reason to add a complicated and unneeded armor option. Simply give a griffin a 4+ armor save and call it a day. It'll be a great excuse for GW to produce an awesome armored plastic griffin model with both human and elven riders.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »
I want one of those griffons. :smile2:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »
I still say a +100 pt option for a Griffon is reasonable.  How many times do you see the Griffon in a tournament?  I've never seen in it a tourney army - regardless of race (or even a hippogriff or manticore).  I think that obviously says that those options are horrendously overpriced.  I mean, a Knight is almost as durable as a Griffon!  The armor option would be cool for something like 20 pts.

Offline WolfyGriess

• Members
  • Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31:32 AM »
I like the armour thingy Wiss. It would be great though, if you could combine that with the 4+ ward from the holy relic, or the warrior priests' prayer. something to help fight off the cannons and bolt throwers of the world.
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.