home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 139567 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »

Amazing!

Buy a zombie regiment. Assemble all the zombies. Sell them individually on eBay for $2.99 plus $11.27 postage per figure. Include wall of legal text in your ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-zombie-undead-holding-knife-in-air-JMS_W0QQitemZ170412822259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ad654ef3

They've got a whole page of them listed. I would have included a link to all their auctions to illustrate that, but they've got like 3500 items listed at the moment.

I don't think they have any idea what they are selling.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:35:18 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: ebay makes me laugh
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »
I don't think people have any idea what they're buying...
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »
This one is currently making me smile ...............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200417009075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Private Listings  - well that looks legit then .........

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »
Apparently ebay is dying because of retards like this and people just cant be arsed to bid anymore.

I know I prefer Amazon for everything.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:18 PM »
Like I said, there was an entire page of those zombies. Between stuff like that and people who spam eBay with "buy it now" non-auctions at normal retail price plus shipping, the bulk of the "auctions" are just garbage. Any savings you might make in terms of the rare deal you get on a cheap item is more or less wiped out by all the time wasted sorting through the spam.

I usually go there looking for older stuff, but the whether through high demand or people bidding on their own auctions, prices seem to have jumped since I used to to a lot of eBay buying.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
I actually haven't been on ebay for ages. It does seem rubbish now.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:01:54 AM »
I buy most of my Warhammer stuff on Ebay for less than I'd get it in the store. Not half price or anything, but still, I'm not going to complain too hard. But then I tend to buy fairly common, current stuff so *shrug*.

That zombie thing is rediculous!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12:25 AM »
siby's post.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 04:23:06 AM »
A couple years ago there were some really good deals to be had.  I remember one seller who would constantly be auctioning off the contents of battalion boxes from like each army, split up into the individual units.  I think I got 20 state troops for about $20 shipped to Canada - new on sprue.  The seller is still there, but he has way fewer auctions - mostly some 40k stuff.  Perhaps GW changed their wholesale prices or something.  But at the price some of those auctions were going, I can see why the seller does so little now.  I remember seeing some auctions for 20 clanrats go for like $5.

Nowadays, I've bought most of my stuff from local online classifieds.  I've got like 3000pts+ of orcs now... probably spent less than $400.

Of course with used stuff, you have to be patient to find what you want.  Luckily I paint and play slow enough that it doesn't matter.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Lord Quiran de Lancastre

• Members
  • My idiocy knows no bounds
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:10:23 AM »
I only really use ebay for specific bits ordering or for items that aren't sold thru retailers that give discounts like the warstore.

For NiB stuff I have a guy on bartertown who does 30% off retail with $6 shipping.

The only really good warhammer stuff to watch on ebay is macpac51's auctions as he does bulk lots(like 40 corsairs NoS) and always has free shipping. Even then there's always some idiot who pays damn near 10% off retail who makes it not worth buying.

Ebay is basically just a webstore for people who are too lazy to make a website themselves and advertise it.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
Ooo, I forgot. I do use it for getting various bits too. The chance to get a bunch of useful Bretonnian bits and bobs without having to spend $20+ on the whole box is very tasty. Not to mention all the other little projects...

And yes, Macpac is one of the ones I use the most. I find that there are 2 or 3 decent sellers on there, but hey, that's all I need if they have what I want.  8-)
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »
You know, you're right.  I only use ebay these days to get hard to find PC games.  They are the same price as Amazon, and accept paypal.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
............ and people who spam eBay with "buy it now" non-auctions at normal retail price plus shipping, the bulk of the "auctions" are just garbage. Any savings you might make in terms of the rare deal you get on a cheap item is more or less wiped out by all the time wasted sorting through the spam.

I save searches. It also saves on the spam.

If you make your search with "auctions only" and cut out the "Buy It Now" goons, and sort it 'time ending soonest' then you can click it from your bookmarks and see the sensible choices straightaway.

I have about 4 searches saved:
Empire/Mordheim/Dow is my main one, then I have separate ones for Dwarfs, Brets & IG

The search updates automatically, and the only annoying thing these days are the sellers who sell inidvidual platic pieces off sprues, or that twit on Brets who has pages of decals every week ..........

You do have to be patient, as we discussed in another thread recently, but there are still occasional bargains to be had .............

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
This one is currently making me smile ...............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200417009075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Private Listings  - well that looks legit then .........

I have two sealed boxes lying around... Mmmmmm
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »

Amazing!

Buy a zombie regiment. Assemble all the zombies. Sell them individually on eBay for $2.99 plus $11.27 postage per figure. Include wall of legal text in your ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-zombie-undead-holding-knife-in-air-JMS_W0QQitemZ170412822259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ad654ef3

They've got a whole page of them listed. I would have included a link to all their auctions to illustrate that, but they've got like 3500 items listed at the moment.

I don't think they have any idea what they are selling.

Looks to me that the seller is a whole seller who just sells random items for people.  There are several stores off the top of my head where I live that provide an eBay selling service to people who don't have the time or computer knowledge to do it themselves.  The seller more than likely has no idea what Warhammer is or the value of the figures.

Now if they didn't have so many random things in their eBay store (titled Mass Warehouse Liquidation by the way), and just game figures, yeah it would be stupid, but they don't.  The shipping charges are a joke though.  I just hope no one is stupid enough to buy those figures.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:08:59 PM by Volt2187 »
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 06:34:21 AM »
OK, seriously, wtf? Someone posts an auction for a set of Mordheim, says that it's mostly complete but some parts are missing and that they will list contents soon. (Auction is a day old, no bids.)

Why even bother posting before you can post what you're trying to sell?

I might have considered bidding on this for the figures & terrain bits if they had actually bothered to list what's included. As it is, I'll probably never look back at it.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
I don't like online auction sites now. I got ripped off so badly I even celled the police and they couldn't do anything *bawwwwwww*

Lost 60 bucks to some punk ... grrr

But yeah, I'm sick of trawling the auction sites for a decent deal.

I hate seeing: "pro-painted - but not really".
Or: "15% off - but will ship in 3 months time"
Or: "BFG rule book - Super Rare, OOP" - when it's available for free at the GW website in PDF format...
Or: "OOP Space Marines from previous edition" - turns out they're exactly the same as the most recent ones... HMMM

Damn the stupid people...

sj

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »
I keep organizing deals and then forgetting about them. I'm sure I'm pissing people off. Thanks for reminding me.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
Here we go again ..........  :icon_rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170427104900&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£5 per mini ....  :icon_eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170427171568&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£11.00 each      :icon_lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120512437956&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and an opportunity ........ or not.

I don't like this - it means I need to get my collection insured alongside the wife's diamonds and gold.
In fact stuff those trinkets, my models are more valuable ............  :engel:

Christmas on UK ebay was hilarious - about 25% of the normal number of auctions, but all the buying idiots still bidding - very ordinary stuff was going for way over its original retail price.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

If people are bidding, like on those first two, and the prices go crazy... that's just the way auctions work. More than I'd spend on most toy soldiers, but to each his own.

It's the auctions like that last one that make me laugh -- where someone starts off with an outrageous price.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Or: "BFG rule book - Super Rare, OOP" - when it's available for free at the GW website in PDF format...
Or: "OOP Space Marines from previous edition" - turns out they're exactly the same as the most recent ones... HMMM

Depending on where you live, that may be fraud.

But enforcing the law on the internet is really frustrating.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

How about some Amazon.com entertainment. Behold, Black Powder:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956358101/

First off, I'm still waiting on my Amazon order. The book was released a month or two ago, but Amazon still says it's not out until Feb.

Second, there are now third party sellers on that Amazon page offering new and used copies of the book.... at about 300% of retail price, or 600% Amazon's (bargain) price!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
It's still £30 on the UK amazon .       :icon_cry:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »
Haha. Yeah, they must have screwed up on it at the US site. Honestly, the only reason I bought it was because of the cheapo price. For a change it pays off to be in the US (in terms of wargaming/miniatures).