home

Author Topic: Using the Steam Tank  (Read 2646 times)

Offline redjoey

• Members
Using the Steam Tank
« on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
Tomorrow I am using a Steam Tank against the Orcs. I have used it a few times under the new rules and have come to the opinion that it is crap.

This has not put me off though. I plan on making it work. Does anybody who uses the Tank regularly have and hints and tips for using it?

The units I should be hitting, those I should avoid, using weapons, moving it around, etc.

Any advice appreciated.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
Re: Using the Steam Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »
I think the biggest mistake people who use the steam tank make is that they use it unsupported. Empire as a whole must make use of each other in order to remain effective, and the stank is no exception

A combined charge from some knights or a block with the stank and you will break nearly any orc unit

Dont forget that it has 10 wounds and a 1+ armor save and Toughness 6. Thats enough to keep it alive once it  starts hurting

I think the key is to put it near the center, and move forward. There are two things that can happen by doing this. Its unlikely that the enemy will KILL it, but wounding it is a possibility. Therefore, its either going to steamroll the enemy and really kick ass, or its going to take some wounds and you can park it in the center and cause terror checks and hold ground (well)

Good luck, and sorry the stank hasn't faired well for you (maybe try taking two....  :icon_rolleyes:)
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
Shooting the STank is the one time Goblin Bolt Throwers don't suck.  Nuff said.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 08:41:48 PM »
1) SUPPORT IT, don't move it forward alone.

2) Take out Bolt throwers first with your cannons, hide the stank behind scenery then move out when artillery has been neutralized.

3) Use nilla knights with the stank to wipe off anything that gets stuck on the stank. Or to lure opponents into stank charge range.

4) Dont fire the stanks cannon unless you absolutly, need to.

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »
Yeah, it's a great Bolt thrower magnet, but at least they aren't shooting at something you can't afford to lose! Since the STank is a war machine, it has to be totally destroyed before the opponent gets points for it. Use it as a lure for that Giant or tooled up Black orc unit, and let them chew on it for a while. Meanwhile, your boyz are wiping the rest of them off the map!
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline liuzheng

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:08:49 AM »
If the orc army emphasize particularly on close-combat. Use your Stank go ahead at the middle of battlefield. It will be a block to slow down the orcs' charge. Behind the Stank, you missle army can beat these savages seriously and your knight orders can attack the orc's flank.

If the orc army is range one (like one of my friends, he has 4 bolt throwers in 1500 pts army). Let your Stank approach the orc's line as quickly as you can  from frank with one unit of knights. Then sweep these evil war machines away.

Forget it's cannon and steam gun for their less power and misfire. Spend all SP to impact your enemy into bakemeat.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:17:14 AM »
The steam gun is not so bad against a unit of goblins...if he has any boar riders ...use their frenzy and lure them all to the stank than flank charge with an infantry unit or some knights and you will break him...Either sacrifice him like this or use him on the defensive leave him behind and wait for his moment than charge whatever you want with 4 steampoints and do 5w3 strength 6 auto hits....no other unit can do this he is ...hmm well softer against range attacks but in close combat the new stank is pretty much better. you could also field a War Altar and hide the steam tank behind him.

Offline redjoey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
I normally hide my altar behind the tank.

Thanks for the replies.

I figure I will either tag team it with the War Altar or a unit of Ironguts.

I will post results when they happen.

Thanks.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »
A pegas captain, fast cav, and cannons will deliver your Stank to the battleline...  :icon_cool:
My hood is my castle...

Offline redjoey

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »
I finished my battle with a massacre. The only things my opponent had on the table was 2 fleeing boar boyz and 1wound left on a giant.

The Steam tank did really well. There was no war machines in the Orc army so the only shooting came from 10 arrer boyz and 40 nightgoblins, nothing that has much chance of wounding the tank.

I placed it in the centre between my war altar and 30 flagellants. The orcs managed to cast Waagh and move his units forward so the tank got charged by black orcs. Because I was ready for a counter charge with my flaggies the black orcs fought with 2 hand weapons. He did nothing in his turn. On my turn I rolled 4SP and charged my flaggies. The PoD issued a challenge and cut down the black orc unit champion, the flaggies did another 6 wounds (due to hatred by martyring). The tank then killed 10 more and the combat was a wipe out. Only his General was stood there and duly failed his break test. I didn't catch him but he carried on fleeing before being cut down by some nillas.
So, I was rather impressed with the tank and charged it into a unit of boyz. 11 Impact hits later, 10 wounding and the unit was fleeing with less than 25% left.

Conclusion.
Yes it did well but nothing really had the power to do a few wounds. Before I have fought against the dwarves with it on a few occasions and the war machines knock a few wounds off and it is as good as done. This time it had a free roam and devastated. Not as hard as it was before but my faith is restored.

Thanks.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »
Try against armies with no machines and it is very hard to take out, even with GW and Big guys.

I too scored a massacre against O&G this weekend with a wounded Steam Tank (by a chukka). It got a flank charge against a unit of 30 Big Uns, Al Bundy anyone?, and scored 7 wounds getting none in return (and had a nilla Knight block in the front). The orc unit with a BSB fled through the Orc general's block, which had Doom & Darkness cast on it so that too fled. Both were run down by the knights.

Game Over!

For the record, when facing HE, DE, Stunties or Empire, the Stank stays home...  :closed-eyes:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »
Just had a thought, and this seems to be the right topic for it. If your fighting Skaven, who take the Stormbanner, does it effect the Steam Tank? Or does it effect just the cannon and steam gun, or the whole thing?
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »
Just had a thought, and this seems to be the right topic for it. If your fighting Skaven, who take the Stormbanner, does it effect the Steam Tank? Or does it effect just the cannon and steam gun, or the whole thing?

I guess... You would still be able to move the steam tank but if unlucky not fire the guns, since they dont require BS and arent magical.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:57:49 AM »
Yeah nowadays he is very sensitive to shooting but he rocks in close combat (If no one has the sword of fate with him or karl franz with ghal maraz) But if he is badly wounded just make one or two steam points and place him in the way he will bind most of the regiments in close combat really well.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 05:15:21 AM »
Yeah nowadays he is very sensitive to shooting but he rocks in close combat (If no one has the sword of fate with him or karl franz with ghal maraz) But if he is badly wounded just make one or two steam points and place him in the way he will bind most of the regiments in close combat really well.
A Savage Orc Warboss with Runefang is quite nasty also - he charges, auto lose 5 wounds. Your turn, you auto-lose the other 5 and he is free to run around in his next movement phase...

Here is a 'guide' I typed up a while ago on how to use the tank...

Quote from: Warlord
I have done a lot of playtesting my strategy / list in 7th, and I will share with you some of my learnings.

From the outset:
1/ Deploy behind / move behind as much cover and terrain as possible to avoid damage - much like Giants or Hammer Cavalry units.
2/ Don't roll for 5 Steam Points. Murphy will laugh at you.
3/ Charge when you get the chance.
4/ Depending on your strategy for its use, if it is not amongst the action by turn 3, then it will have a hard time 'making its points back'*.
5/ The Richtmark / Dual Richtmark Battalion does not work against heavy missile armies (see 1).
6/ Do NOT fire the cannon.

Once it takes a few wounds:
1/ Be conservative with your steam point usage.
2/ Try and achieve goals as above.

Once it gets down to about 6 wounds:
1/ Use about 1 or 2 Steam Points a turn.
2/ Use it as a SLOW moving Terror causer.
3/ If there is something you can charge closeby, do it.
4/ Try and move it so it can be overrun / pursued into by enemy units. That way it can tarpit the enemy with no way to break it - unless they are hard hitters. That unit is effectively taken out of the battle for a few turns (if not entirely).
5/ Shoot the Steam Gun and Repeater Pistol.
6/ Shoot the cannon ONLY at decent targets. Do not risk using this taking pot shots at rank and file (unless it will significantly contribute to the outcome of the battle).

Once it gets down to about 3 wounds:
1/ Try and use 1 Steam Point. Can't hurt much more than it doing nothing (unless it is already doing something such as about to cause terror tests / engaged in combat). Alternatively if the enemy has no further way to kill it (such as artillery destoyed) and it is not in a position to affect the battle, let it be and deny VPs.
2/ With that one Steam Point, try and achieve 2, 3, 4, 5 from above.
3/ If the enemy has the last turn of the battle, do NOT use a steam point in turn 6 unless it will significantly effect the outcome of the battle (supported General 3 inches away in charge arc for example).

'making its points back'* - A Steam Tank can make its points back in multiple ways.
1/ Killing the enemy
2/ Terrorising the enemy
3/ Being an immobile obstacle
4/ Absoribing enemy artillery, magic and missile fire.
It really depends on how your army is built. Generally a Steam Tank will attract, and absorb a lot of fire from the enemy, so if you build your list around it able to beat the enemy normally, the Steam Tank can act as a 'dispel' to enemy magic and missile fire, as it will take a beating, and your troopers can advance with less casualties. It demands the opponents attention.

I had more stuff written than this, but ATM I am at a hotel and was only logged on for an hour, so as I clicked 'Post' it told me I had logged out of W-E and I pressed back, and was unable to retrieve any of my writings... As I said, I am quite familiar with the Steam Tanks in 7th, so any specific questions, don't hesitate...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 06:47:03 AM »
Thanks for those inputs Warlord...I would agree to any single point. I have also learned that you should stay a little back with him and use him to free stuck units of flagies or the alter....he only needs contact to do an awesome amount of autohits that occur before anyone strikes with strength of six also very armour penetrating. The only reason I would drive him up front is if I want him to be attacked or to be shot at...if they fire on him they won't fire on my other stuff and he still is toughness 6 and 1+ Save with 10 hitpoints. He even will withstand the attack of a chosen Unit of Khorne Knights with ease.

Offline redjoey

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the input gents.

Just a thought, could I use the warrior priest prayer 'armour of contempt' on it to increase survivability?

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
nope he is no character!

And even if the Stank clearly states that he can't be affected by magic whatsoever....sadly this means our magic also...(except missles with strength of course)