home

Author Topic: How do you kill bret pegasi?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline ale_box

• Members
How do you kill bret pegasi?
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
Hi guys,
I often fight battles with a friend of mine, who is playing brets.
And I always struggle against its pegasi...my first turn they are hidden somewhere. My second turn sometimes I have a chance to shoot them, but as they are skirmishers (meaning hitting them at 6+ (long range+skirmishing)), with their AS and WS I hardly kill something. Then they are in combat...and my units, especially artillery and weak units start falling... :icon_cry:

Any suggestions? everything is appreciated

Thanks guys!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: How do you kill bret pegasi?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »
They arenīt skirmishers any more as they are not US 1 (as far as I know)

Also you always have to think about where he wants to move them next turn...positions from where he can attack with them. Guard those spots and you will do fine.

Offline Elieress

• Members
  • Slaanesh.. Just a painting project... I promise...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:58:29 AM »
They ARE skirmishers.  But as they have US 2 pr model, they do not benefit from -1 to hit skirmishers.

Try setting up "no fly" zones with 'nilla knights

Make sure that they cannot land in their prefered place by setting up a few knight to charge them there if they do.

They dont negate ranks, so dont bother protecting your big blocks, but protect your warmachines and handgunners.

When the pegasi then move arround your nilla knights to set up a charge against your cannons, then move your knights to block the charge and allign them so if the pegasi charges your knights and breaks them you will subsequently draw the pegasi out in the middle of your firering arch of all the rest of your guns.
Elieress... Just an old RPG name that got stuck to most of my online profiles...

CPH denmark

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
 :eusa_clap:

better post than mine! And great it is indeed.

But as you see no -1 to shoot so perhaps you should start to think about a unit of Outriders.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
Rod of command, greatswords, flaggies - and shooting.
My hood is my castle...

Offline VanClash

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »
Haven't versed one but wouldn't 2 cannons to great against it/them. Are you talking about the unit or characters because if it's a unit cannons wouldn't do that good.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:21:16 AM by VanClash »
That a look at my painted Empire, Skaven and Gnoblars(click here)

Being a Gnoblars since -100.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
Why not? You usally can hit two peggies per shot (as most bret players never field them in a line but in a flock) and giving each one d6 wounds usually killing two.

Offline ale_box

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »
Thanks guys!
very helpful to know they do not benefit from -1 while shooting at them!!!

@Vanclash: my opponent plays a unit of 3-4

@Fandir: my opponent always pay attention that I can kill max 1 pegasus with my cannon.

What about using the Helblaster on one side of the deployment zone and Outriders on the other? without the -1 it is a different story...

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »
He will try once and if you donīt misfire he will be cautious from that moment on  :biggriin:

try to make some bret kaiser chicken salad and even better grant us a good battle report of it.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »
you hit all models you can get under your template.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »
Advice:

-Use forests to your advantage. Flyers can't charge into woods.
-Stagger your battleline; a lot of players I see go for one solid battleline; I imagine that as the equivalent of putting all your pawns in a row. Rather, I would put half your units in front of the rest, in a diagonal of sorts, slowly advancing in formation. Should a unit break, the enemy cannot pursue without being flanked and killed next turn.
-Bring magic: Bretonnian magic has a tendency to get neglected beyond defensive purposes. Lucky for us, one cannot give Magic Resistance to Pegasus Knights. Got a 2d6 magic missile? Watch the fireworks fly. Don't forget to bring the Rod of Power of course to convert your many unused dispel dice into extra power dice (Note, exception to this rule applies if you're dealing with a Fay Enchantress build).

Offline HoreTore

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »
They ARE skirmishers.  But as they have US 2 pr model, they do not benefit from -1 to hit skirmishers.

This one is another case of bad wording...

In the rulebook under "flying cavalry", it states that "flying cavalry" are units of flyers with a cavalry profile, and they name the bretpegs as an example.... But bretonnian pegasus knights don't have a cavalry profile, they have the same type of profile as fell bats or any other flying beasts, as they have a combined rider/mount profile, not a seperate one for the rider and one for the beast...

So it could just as well be argued that they are US1 and thus you'll suffer the -1 penalty. Remember, fluff ain't rules.

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
.... bretonnian pegasus knights don't have a cavalry profile...

Says who? There is different profile for pegasus knight and pegasus. Just check out the bretonnian AB page 70.
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline Zarkdon

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 01:54:31 AM »
just look at the lizardmen terradons they are flying cav in the lizard AB. What the rule is referring to is any mounted flyer. IE terradons and pegasi Knights. What it is NOT refering to are things like DE harpies and TK carrion
"Yours in not to question how or why, yours is but to do or die."

Preceptor of the Knights of the Yellow Streak before their failed feartest outside of Holdensburg

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
IF any bret would argue that they are US 1 I wouldnīt grant him the armour save bonus of +1 for being cav.

Offline HoreTore

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »
.... bretonnian pegasus knights don't have a cavalry profile...

Says who? There is different profile for pegasus knight and pegasus. Just check out the bretonnian AB page 70.

Yes, check it out.... They have a combined profile, it's not like normal cavalry(wounds/toughness missing)... So more like a chariot profile when I think about it. So I think you could find a couple arguing for it, even though it's silly...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Like a chariot profile eh? Looks strength 7 auto kills em.

:icon_lol:

And just to make sure for Feanor Fire Heart:

:icon_lol:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
No one mentioned the orb?  If I know I'm playing Bretts, its in the list. 
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Count Stephano

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Advice:
-Use forests to your advantage. Flyers can't charge into woods.

Yes they can, but they only use their ground speed, which is for pagasi 8"
many counts say die for our cause, i say; let them die for their cause

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Yes, check it out.... They have a combined profile, it's not like normal cavalry(wounds/toughness missing)... So more like a chariot profile when I think about it. So I think you could find a couple arguing for it, even though it's silly...

Duh, if someone tries to play that trick on me, I'll kick him to nuts and steal his armycase.  :-D

But when you think of it, pegasus knights become even more paper against magic thanks to their armor save decreasing into 4+ if they aren't cavalry.
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 09:46:19 PM »
Magic missiles?

Offline Rodrigo_Diaz_de_Vivar

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 01:42:12 AM »
To solve this problem you guys should just read the special rules of the Pegasi!
One is called Flying Cavalry:
They have unit strength of 2 and benefit from the +1 AS for being cavalry. :closed-eyes:

...   :smile2:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 05:26:16 AM »

They follow the age-old rule: why look it up if you can post it on the net ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 06:19:22 AM »
To solve this problem you guys should just read the special rules of the Pegasi!
One is called Flying Cavalry:
They have unit strength of 2 and benefit from the +1 AS for being cavalry. :closed-eyes:

...   :smile2:

And therefore no -1 to hit penalty!