home

Author Topic: Kit-Basher’s Anonymous  (Read 1133 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Kit-Basher’s Anonymous
« on: August 17, 2021, 07:04:29 PM »
I need Help     ..     My name is JAK and I’m a Kit-Basher!!!!

I’d planned to start painting again in July but the annual problem of my work space in the attic being so hot my paints dry up in the pots I had to put every thing on hold. I’ve 20 or so figures waiting to be painted so there was little point in building any more. I’ve tried to occupy myself doing more ‘normal’ things but to no avail. The last few days have been a bit cooler so I ventured into the attic with a duster and hoover intending to give my space a good clean and clear out and frighten the spiders.

All went well until I found my Bits Box.

I don’t know how you all organise your Bits Boxes but mine consists of a number of small plastic boxes holding different items, heads, bodies, legs, swords, spears etc. right down to ones for books and lamps. When I start a project I go through the various boxes taking out items that might be useful and keep them all in a new box until the project’s built. The problem is I never return the unused parts to their respective boxes and so I spent a few hours sorting out this backlog. This was all Fantasy but during my build of the Apatoa Pahure Pioneers I’ve also acquired (swapped or been given) some 40K stuff which being in one large box I also decided to sort out. When the Pioneers are finished (I’ve nearly built all the required models) I intend to pass on any 40K bits and return solely to Fantasy again so this will make that task easier. I’d also got hold of some larger sized Video cases so set them out for Imperial Guard, Space Marine, Necron and a few for vehicle parts.

When I’d finished I had the parts for 5 Death Guard figures left over.

I have no interest in Chaos, and none of my fellow gamers do so, besides not knowing where they came from,  the most logical thing to do would be to bung them on Ebay (or equivalent) and move on.

No Chance      ---       Because I’m a Kit-Basher!

One figure was one of GW’s monthly give aways, another from the Japanese Heroes surprise box issue and the remaining three the easy push-fit builds. These push-fit builds are very clever in their design with body, arms and shoulder pads etc. moulded split in half and with many location pins so that you cannot make a mistake building them.

This however also means that the newcomer to the hobby doesn’t have the opportunity to even think about altering or making conversions with them…...

So why did I ??    ---       Because I’m a Kit-Basher!

It quickly became obvious that the shoulder pads and at least one arm moulded to the bodies and the heads attached to the front plates could all be separated with a simple knife cut, and by removing the location pins any backpack could fit any figure – so obvious in fact that these three and the Japanese figure were cut up and laid out in front of me before I was aware of what I was doing.

After some glueing together, arms and heads were now fully interchangeable and with a bit of cutting and GS work so were the front plates. The only other alteration I made was to remove the Blight Launcher and replace it with the Plasma Gun moulded on one of the backpacks. The Launcher has no obvious chaos markings so might come in handy for an unusual weapon for one of the good guys.

I now have 5 unique Death Guard I have no use for, and know of no-one who currently plays them so they will go to the back of the 2B painted pile.

Someone then told me the figures I thought were ghouls are poxwalkers and that I have the start of a Kill Team   –      just need to find some one with the new rules  ………  and ………… I’ll probably have to change some weapons …..  and ….

I need Help     ..     My name is JAK and I’m a Kit-Basher!!!!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Kit-Basher’s Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
I picked up a sizeable Nurgle force with the Conquest part works.
I turned most of the cultist guys [unsure of the current name] into plague gors for my Nurgly beast men army.
As most of the plague marines with the magazine were of similar styles, i modified them slightly just to differentiate them enough

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »
Isn’t Social-Media great.

I have been saved from having to let this squad sit unloved for years in a box until their turn for a spot of paint comes round (if it ever would have). One of the 50 or so of you who have made the effort to read through the above has taken pity on me by offering them a home.

They’ll soon be on their way.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 03:25:31 AM »
I don’t know how you all organise your Bits Boxes but mine consists of a number of small plastic boxes holding different items, heads, bodies, legs, swords, spears etc. right down to ones for books and lamps. When I start a project I go through the various boxes taking out items that might be useful and keep them all in a new box until the project’s built. The problem is I never return the unused parts to their respective boxes and so I spent a few hours sorting out this backlog.

I do that too. Except I’m not as active as you, so my ready to be assembled kitbash bits sit in the boxes ready to be assembled.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 01:38:06 PM »
I love kit bashing IG stuff
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 06:55:30 AM »
I love kit bashing IG stuff
I have several unique I.G armies.
Back in 2007-08, every payday I would pick up two Empire regiment boxes and see what I could make with my bits boxes