home

Author Topic: Discworld Minis  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
  • Call me: 22079460347
Re: Discworld Minis
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
Hmmm are those 30mm too big for Warhammer? I'd love to have Rincewind in my army  :-D
"Nothing happens contradictory to nature, only contradictory to what we know of it."

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
I'm guessing they would work just fine, after all even the current GW miniatures are getting closer to 30~32mm these days.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
Sorry Redfang but they are

Over Scale

Over Priced

And

The quality of sculpting is poor for the actual size of the figure.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
JAK, you must have seen these in real life, because as far as I can tell in those pictures the sculpting looks to be very good to me. Of course it could be that their artist who painted them did a really good job of hiding any problems. I can't comment on scale as I've not actually seen them in real life nor seen comparison pics. Price wise they probably are a little higher price than what would be good for army building. I'd say they aren't ridiculously over priced though. Their prices on that eBay site seems to be close to lots of "premium" figs I see. Definitely not for everybody. But then I've spent about $8~9 a fig to get a unit of 43 Vesperro's Vendetta, so my perceptions may be a little off!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
JAK is the guy for Discworld minis - thus, I believe him and am disappointed these aren't nicer figures :(
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
 I was quite excited when I first heard these figures were coming out, particularly as they are advertised by the manufacturer as being 30mm scale.

Fortunately the first chance I got to see them I took some of my own figures to compare the style etc. to see how they would go together. Very disappointed to find they were around 40mm high and so total useless to me.

The figures are copied from Paul Kidby’s art work and from that point of view they are a good representation of the drawings, however I would say the level of fine detail provided by the sculptor is on a par with 20/25mm scale figures and I expect better at 30mm scale never mind such a large scale figure, particularly at the prices they charge.

I did buy Count Giamo Casanunda

He is drawn with lace cuffs and collar, none of which was sculpted on the figure - I created in green stuff; the wig had a few faint lines on so I used a point to deepen and add more, and there was no wood grain on the step ladder (but this could be classed as nit-picking because I’m so used to GW sculpting the grain even on smooth wood). The figure has also been extensively converted as its size means it  has to be a display piece not a gaming one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:43:28 PM by JAK »

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
bugger, it is sad to see a great idea gone to waste...   :eusa_wall:
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles