home

Author Topic: Konrad's State Troops  (Read 21287 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: Konrad's State Troops
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »
The second rank models have been converted:

The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
And the third rank:

I'm currently waiting for a large order of magnetic bases. When they arrive, I'll rank these guys up and start painting them.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
Good job

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
Excellent! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
Lovely converted crossbowmen, Konrad! Specially quite original the ones who are reloading :icon_biggrin:

Regarding the miniatures order, I try to do the same on marksmen units, with first rank aming and second rank reloading (usually 20 models).

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
Excellent poses! How long did it took for you to achieve that impressive effect. :icon_eek:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »
Well, it varied very significantly model to model. Some of them are what I'd call smart use of existing poses, like the guys using the 6th edition unipose handgunner bodies (middle of the front and back rows). The guy in the middle row farthest to the right took some precision (and greenstuff) to do, to get the left arm (6th edition halberdier arm) to match with the crossbow.

The guy on his left, the guy in the furry hat who's winding up the crossbow, he's the kind of conversion you're happy you did but don't intend to do again. Since none of the bitz I had available either crouch or kneel, it was a challenge to get him to actually reach the handle on the loading gear (don't ask how he can turn it all the way around...). To get the crossbow close enough to his body, I had to realign his left foot a bit, add some greenstuff to the back of the interface between the torso and the legs so he'd lean forward a bit, as well as use greenstuff to slightly elongate his right arm where it connects with his hand, which is a 6th edition militia archer hand that originally held an arrow, now it's holding the handle on the loading gear. If you're interested, I could take some close-up photos of the conversion.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »
The two rear rank guys with the crossbows shouldered and who are walking with long strides, those I thought would represent guys who have just arrived after having shot from the first rank and then rotated back. Stragglers just arriving while the others have already started reloading. Or, at least, that's my pretext for using those long-striding legs I didn't have much else use for.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 05:55:13 AM »
I love them. I also don’t know why they haven’t been kitbashed more.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
I suspect it's because the crossbow arms are from the militia box, and don't have the proper puff-and-slash sleeves.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
Yeah, I never kitbashed any state troop crossbows because of that.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »
People did it with greatswords, and added knight arms into the mix too. But yeah, i guess.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2017, 02:42:27 AM »
Two years today since I was quoted  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
And may the quote stand the test of time!  :happy:

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
Looks like my magnetic base order has cleared customs. Pictures of ranked crossbowmen units will be posted within the next few days.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
Magnetic bases finally arrived, and crossbowmen were ranked up.

First unit:

Second unit:

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
By the way, I realized something. Is the greatsword plastic box 8th edition? The newest archers/huntsmen box? If so, my crossbowmen straddle four whole editions.

Offline SDPalmer12

• Members
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:03 AM »
Those crossbowmen look excellent!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
These units are stunning! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
I like 'em!

By the way, where'd the magnetic bases come from?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Shogun Miniatures. The steel movement tray is from them too. The bases have worked well so far, the miniatures didn't fall off even when I turned the tray upside down.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Interesting.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
Base magnetization is something that had been on my mind for some time. I ended up concluding that rebasing using Shogun's bases would be no more expensive nor time-consuming than proper magnetization of existing bases. That, combined with the upcoming staggered re-basing of my old 6th edition spearmen that I mentioned two pages ago, finally provided me the impetus to go for it and do it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
I have magnetized some ACW Unions, individually based, yet onto a metal base when the rules require more per base.  Not sure I like it, although contemplating such for other eras as well.  My WotRs figures are all individually based (works good for Lion Rampant), but I use movement trays to get them collected onto a bigger base as well (for Day of Battle 4th edition).

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
In other news, the next state troops by me will probably be my first halberdiers ever (yes... that is embarrassing...) In accordance with a plan for an army list for T9A 2.0, I would make four detachments of 20 halberdiers each, with full command. For the purpose I have metal pikemen models from Foundry, Warlord and Artizan, in advancing/attacking poses. I would use them as they are, only with the pike shortened by about half, and with a halberd head attached.

That will be for the future though. Immediate objective is to get both the spearmen and the crossbowmen displayed here painted. Then I won't have much left to go to get a playable fully painted army on the field.