home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 89879 times)

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »
Binged watched GLOW on Netflix over the weekend. I remember watching GLOW back in the late 80s when I was in high school, and the Netflix series did a good job of it. Was surprised how much I enjoyed it; the only other series I've watched in one sitting was Stranger Things.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:09 AM »
@Texasyanky
I loved GLOW. Speaking as a writer; what amused me the most about the show was the absurd characters/personas of the wrestlers then the contrived reasons for them fighting. Oh yes and hearing Stan Bush's Dare sold me on the show

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #378 on: August 16, 2017, 01:43:09 AM »
Not really tv but documentary. A collection of Noam  Chomsky. This guy is incredible. A prof at MIT for 50 years, I think he says about everything I would like to say if I was a quarter articulate as he is. I would recommend looking him up and just listen. You might want to jump off a bridge when he's done but he's so down to earth and wise in the way of humanity. One of the few elite I really respect.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Started watching American Gods. It's been many years since I read the book (I remember enjoying it a lot), so I can't compare the two really - but the show is really fucking good. Very, VERY weird, and it requires a bit of "just accept this for now, you'll get it at some point" if you have no idea of the background, but great! It's a very unique show. Highly recommended.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
Stranger things II next month  :biggriin: started watching Black list ( Netflix) wow  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
The Defenders are really good. Nice team up of MCU's TV stars. Definetly liked it.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #382 on: September 19, 2017, 03:04:29 AM »
On PBS ... "The Vietnam War" by Burns and Novick.

It just started last night, excellent first show, but missed most of this evenings.  I'm enjoying the history, learning more than I knew before, and liking the inclusion of the various viewpoints.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #383 on: September 19, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Supergirl season 2.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #384 on: September 19, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

It just started last night, excellent first show, but missed most of this evenings.  I'm enjoying the history, learning more than I knew before, and liking the inclusion of the various viewpoints.

I'm watching it too. I really like it.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #385 on: September 19, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Im watching Westworld and I hate to say I'm a little let down.  Hopefully it gets better after episode 3. 

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #386 on: September 19, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »

My folks and I have been having a very interesting time watching it. They both remember it happening of course, and I knew the outline and most of the details, but some of the depth just blew me away. Especially in the first episode when their following the early French attempts. I knew it went badly, but never knew it went THAT badly.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #387 on: September 20, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
Black list ...started watching this, finished season one on Netflix , awesome show  :::cheers::: ill have to check out the Vietnam war Doc on PBS
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »

I'm watching it too. I really like it.
I ended up catching the remaining portion of the second episode on Tuesday morning, glad I did.  One take away from that was the incompetence of the officials in the Kennedy administration regarding the Vietnam issue.  Blew me away at the mistakes made, and through items like one taking charge without permission, and Kennedy himself trusting yet not getting it an item correctly either.  A mess of not understanding and underestimating the powers at work in Vietnam.

My folks and I have been having a very interesting time watching it. They both remember it happening of course, and I knew the outline and most of the details, but some of the depth just blew me away. Especially in the first episode when their following the early French attempts. I knew it went badly, but never knew it went THAT badly.
Yep, I was aware of the French failing, and saw it has another colonization attempt gone bad.  But yes, they were not competent in handling the situation anyway, and the Americans seemed to repeat the mistakes.  A total mess of might not always being right, and the recognition by the Vietnamese that if they kept the pressure up, and continually resisted, they could succeed.  In a way, of not completely similar to the Amer. Rev.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #389 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
Also ... found the idea that just the Americans calling themselves "advisors", probably more for political purposes back home, and the South saw them as working together, because they'd been fighting the north for years but didn't have the artillery and planes to cover themselves, to be very interesting.  They didn't even want to stand next to the taller U.S. soldiers, because they felt it made the more of a target during the fighting.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
After 3rd episode of Luke Cage, I must say that I really like it. Very cool atmosphere and the main lead is great as well. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
After 3rd episode of Luke Cage, I must say that I really like it. Very cool atmosphere and the main lead is great as well. :smile2:

Nope.

Black list ...started watching this, finished season one on Netflix , awesome show  :::cheers:::

Yep! Its great! One of my favourites.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #392 on: September 22, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »
3rd thru 5th episodes of "The Vietnam War" have been excellent.  Takes it into 1967.  The first all American attack, the mess of it all developing, Hill 875 ... hmmm.  Tet Offensive is next.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #393 on: September 22, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »
Supergirl season 2.
Is it any good? I've been watching Arrow seasons 1-4 and Flash seasons 1-2, as well as Legends of Tomorrow (first season), and I really liked them (well, most of them, anyway). If Supergirl is on the same level as those, I might need to check those series out as well.

Also the third season of Gotham arrived in the mail! Here's to hoping they haven't completely ruined it! Because let's face it, the last episodes of season two were getting weird.
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Supergirl season 1 is pretty good. Its a good series to watch with a wife or daughter, because it has good empowering feminism messages which isn't common in a superhero tv show.
Almost finished season 2 and still enjoyable. Supergirl I think is a good choice, and there are some interesting support characters - primarily Jon Jones, but her sister is cool too.

To be honest, I find legends of tomorrow endlessly frustrating because of how they use and explain time travel.

Only seen Gotham season 1 and liked it.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #395 on: September 23, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
A Netflix Disney movie called Ghosts in the Mountains. About snow leopards and following a mother and her cubs. To me there is no creature more beautiful, majestic blah blah than this cat. Thank god it's in such a hard place to get to as it provides some safety. Just one look at them and the tears start lol. It all started with this wildlife mag cover when I was 12 and it's been my favorite animal ever since.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #396 on: September 23, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
Not sure if the show on the snow leopards is the same one I've seen on PBS, but it was very good!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2017, 10:32:12 PM »
Snow leopards are beautiful animals. I get what you mean.
I think I saw that doco too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #398 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »
Wow, the Vietnam series is definitely showing how messed up things were during that war.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
The Black list continues to rock especially third season we are on episode 8.

OH AND THIS Especially: https://youtu.be/R1ZXOOLMJ8s  Trailer for season II stranger things ( Netflix)
 :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what