home

Author Topic: Kharadron Overlords  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Kharadron Overlords
« on: April 02, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
Karadron Overlords is a new faction of Dwarfs fro AoS, what do you think? I actually kind of like them.  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Kharadron Overlords
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
I'm not to keen on them, but I've always struggled to like most "Steam Punk" figures which these remind me of. Still think to Chaos range is the best from AOS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
I think if anyone playing AoS thought they were still playing a Warhammer Fantasy game, they don't anymore... some WH40k fans are calling these the new Squats...
I also think on current evidence that it will be 10 to 15 years before GW produce any fantasy product that I'll buy.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
I think if anyone playing AoS thought they were still playing a Warhammer Fantasy game, they don't anymore... some WH40k fans are calling these the new Squats...
I also think on current evidence that it will be 10 to 15 years before GW produce any fantasy product that I'll buy.

Honestly I thought that as well, the new  squats. But I like steam punk, not saying I'm going to collect these guys but I do like them. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:13:05 AM »
I think if anyone playing AoS thought they were still playing a Warhammer Fantasy game, they don't anymore..

Oh sure, the old mmo gives them advanced repeater rifles, helipacks and robot-turrets and it's cool. Give em' alchemy repeater guns, armored diving suits and balloons and it's not fantasy all of a sudden.  :-P

Anyway, love the models and pirate fluff of their guidelines and aelf noble ransoms. Having trouble deciding between a French balloonist color or their loreful colors that look like Victorian troops..

Also, gonna wait a month to see if any starter sets are rumored before I buy. These guys are gonna sell like hotcakes and a starter set would certainly include them.

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
I think if anyone playing AoS thought they were still playing a Warhammer Fantasy game, they don't anymore..

Oh sure, the old mmo gives them advanced repeater rifles, helipacks and robot-turrets and it's cool. Give em' alchemy repeater guns, armored diving suits and balloons and it's not fantasy all of a sudden.  :-P

Anyway, love the models and pirate fluff of their guidelines and aelf noble ransoms. Having trouble deciding between a French balloonist color or their loreful colors that look like Victorian troops..

Also, gonna wait a month to see if any starter sets are rumored before I buy. These guys are gonna sell like hotcakes and a starter set would certainly include them.

I think so as well. Again I am not a fan of AoS but I like these guys. I'm hoping GW will  flesh out the free guild soon maybe then ill get in. These guys might be a small collection mostly to paint and model ...we will see
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
I'm really liking them. I keep thinking a mix of these, fyreslayers and the legacy guys would be a riot but not sure how the synergies would work out. That would be an army of my dreams but in reality that's probably were it will remain for the immediate future.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
I'm generally a fan. There's a few bits I don't care for, like the balloon rider dudes, but generally they're good. They are far more steam punk then a lot of the other fantasy so I can see why some may not be fond.

With a good paintjob a lot of them would look like ironbreakers.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
I agree, the balloon guys are not my favorite
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
While I like the models themselves, I don't like what they represent for the setting and game.

It's one thing to have exceptionnal units made by rare artisans, like the steam tanks, and another to have even your basic soldier come in steampunk power armor (you even have handheld heavy weapons, some of the normal steamheads carries things like an organ gun or other big weapons)

Another way to look at it : imagine the empire if instead of having rare wizards formed in the colleges of magic you had compulsory magic education for everybody, and every soldier was at least at the level of casting a fireball or similar offensive spells, with even normal units often able to have at least one solider able to cast something big like a purple sun.

This might make an interesting setting, but it would certainly no longer be the Warhammer Fantasy setting that we loved.

It feel more like if they started a new game set in the future of the Old world after technology had advanced enough that we get in a World War 1 situation. This might have been a nice idea for a new core game, but not at the cost of Fantasy.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »

I would not expect a Start Collecting set for these guys.  Those are almost always for old models.   Only Ironjawz has had one with new models.  The Stormcast one was 18 months after those models were released. 

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Good point but I still don't think it would be a bad idea to wait a bit to see what the rumors hint at. (Though if anyone needs a SC box it'd be the Fyreslayers. )
This might make an interesting setting, but it would certainly no longer be the Warhammer Fantasy setting that we loved.

Meh, since they're only crew-sized forces you could chalk it up to a expedition by Malakai to the chaos wastes. That would explain the need for fully sealed suits.
I'm hoping GW will  flesh out the free guild soon 

Same. Though the longer it takes the more bells and whistles our battletome will get to it. :-D

I'm hoping we get the remnants from the big fallen empires from the age of myths to build our armies around.

I knew the three big ones were Hydonia of the beast realm, the Steppe Khanate of the fire realm and the Lantic Empire which my friend Lord Kragon gave me more insight on since their fluff is in alot of the non-Order books.

The Lantic Empire was the mightiest nation back during the age of myth. A stronghold of science and enlightment, a very technologically advanced nation that spanned multiple realms, at least Ghur, Ghyran (were they were THE biggest nation) and Shysh, possibly Aqshy too. Beyond this basic overview, little is known yet about it except that a) they were the last great nation to fall down, having fought the legions of the everchosen for more than a hundred years, b) they were the place where the Flesh Eater Courts were founded and C) It's been refounded at least once, as Battletome BCR mentions the fall of the 12th Lantic Empire, a mere shadow of its former self. IIRC it's been mentioned 6 times in almost as many books, the most alluded element just ahead of the Grotbag Scutlings (AKA: Grot Sky Pirates).
Quote from: Lord Kragan
Forgot that the Lantic Empire was too in Aqshy and Ghyran. In Ghyran they were the biggest nation and in Aqshy they had massive forticiations (The "Gilded Steamgird", a more primitive version of Hammerhal's defenses) that required a massive warthrong of chaos-alligned Fyrleslayers' Magmadroths to take down.
I'd be up to building a army of empire builders who can't catch a break. :biggriin:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
What books does this come from?  It does sound promising and I like your idea of old empire stuff surviving.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
I agree where did the fluff come from? sounds promising  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »
I agree where did the fluff come from? sounds promising  :::cheers:::

I saw this shared on FB the other day

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
Indeed, the free people fluff is scattered through the battletomes and novels. Much of which is non-Order and I don't own so I end finding out about it in lore conversations with my friends Lord Kragon and Shinros.

A free people battletome would be a excellent way to combine all that info into one place.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
Indeed, the free people fluff is scattered through the battletomes and novels. Much of which is non-Order and I don't own so I end finding out about it in lore conversations with my friends Lord Kragon and Shinros.

A free people battletome would be a excellent way to combine all that info into one place.

This could ( maybe) get me into AoS
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »

Meh, since they're only crew-sized forces you could chalk it up to a expedition by Malakai to the chaos wastes. That would explain the need for fully sealed suits.

Just to throw in again, I really like this as an idea.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »

Do it Zak! Make the plunge. In the end it's still Rolling dice and taking casualties 😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 07:16:12 AM »
I fear more and more that the free peoples will be like Cathay or Arabia : mentionned in the background, but not really present on the table outside of the "compatibility rules".

Unless they made some kind of new free realm of humans with a special over the top theme of course ...

Best we can hope is probably sigmar themed units like warrior priests and similar.

But if I am wrong, well I am always ready to use some nice models even if it is for other games.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:11 AM »
Well for now our best bet is a battletome like the bonesplittaz or Flesh-Eater court had gotten. We're getting three Order armies this year so we likely won't see new models for a couple years while Destruction and Death get supported and the Slaanesh plot-line unfurls for chaos. Though we might get lucky with ShadeSpire or next year's Warhammer quest for some more AoS humans.

Personally hoping for humans to look like the Hammerhal artwork, just the right amount of grimness and the warhammer over-the-top charm.  :-D

Also, with how the Overlord book is hinting at armies getting special abilities to in-lore army colors I'd snatch up a free people battletome in a heartbeat, great fluff aside. The Old world equivalent would be a Stirland painted army getting shooting bonuses while a Middenheim army has extra toughness. I'd love to get that kind of fluff mechanic applied to our Freeguild.

Just to throw in again, I really like this as an idea.

Indeed, a fellow on dakka needed a justification for them in his old world army and that's what I came up with for him. He enjoyed the idea as well. :smile2:

Do it Zak! Make the plunge. In the end it's still Rolling dice and taking casualties 😸
Haha, agreed! Would love to have you on the AoS train, Zak! :::cheers::: (though I completely understand if you still decline. It's your hobby, afterall. :-) )

Have you glanced at the Hammerhal stuff I put up on the AoS rumors? You might enjoy it, the artists kept the Mordheim-style in mind when they made the art for the adventure book.

My friend Shinros also written out his review on the lore for Warhammer quest. Might be worth a read if you got the time.  :wink:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/710601.page

My favorite part is the human and aelf nobles playing at being protagonists and going down to the dangerous parts of the city to look for trouble. That's got my vote for a future ShadeSpire warband. :-D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:22:51 AM by Baron von Klatz »

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »
They look pretty silly, overall the ones floating thanks the balls filled  with gold-air.But it's normal for aos.
And about Warhammer Age of Sigmar quest , those artworks are ideas already seen on Blood on the Reik (afterall aos needs to stral ideas from Warhammer or it'd be nothing).

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
Probably the same artists but the art was specifically made for Hammerhal.

Also, "it'd be nothing without stealing" but has already used a new art direction and setting for the past year-and-a-half?  :icon_lol:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
They are OK models, filling a niche in the market which competitors haven't already filled. Especially not in multipart plastic.

Good to have all kind of models to choose from.

But with every new model set, GW/AoS is moving further away from my fantasy hobbies and preferred fantasy aesthetics. Wasn't interested in Warmachine/Hordes, and am not interested in AoS. Still, never say never. There might come individual models which I fancy enough to buy them.

:smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
I'm still hoping for the new coke, classic coke marketing thing to happen hahahaha  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what