home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 141312 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »
Ha!

Dodgy behaviour.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »
I just got outbid on Ebay & it makes me sad. I knew $60.00 was too good to be true for a Lizardmen battalion!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2011, 04:08:06 AM »
Sometimes you just have to bid, even if you think you couldn't possibly win something for the price you are bidding. Sometimes you'll get lucky! It's happened to me more than once. Got some awesome deals that way. Bid $1 over the opening price, bid days before the auction ends, and wound up getting it at the opening bid. You gotta love it!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2011, 06:25:21 AM »
Yesterday I got the old Dark Elf army codex (4th ed) for just 0.99 GBP + shipping 4 GBP which I think is too much but hey together it's still a nice deal in my opinion!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2011, 06:35:59 AM »
Download some sniping software astorre. That should help.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #405 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
At the risk of sounding ignorant and/or uneducated what is sniping software? I pretty much just know how to turn a computer on & off, and type. And steal music. And facebook. Past that it all might as well be Egyptian hieroglyphics to me.

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »
Im not sure why but this actually makes me a bit angry. 'Pro Painted' apparently, it really isn't. After you've paid £40 for what is in my opinion a low tabletop standard miniature, you get to pay a fiver for the privilege of waiting between 30 to 42 days to receive your piece of shit. Piss takers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/painted-BARBARIAN-hero-EMPIRE-aow-AVATARS-WAR-mp-/320667043314?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item4aa93ec5f2

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Dark-Elves-Army-Book-OOP-/250784135149?pt=AU_Miniatures&hash=item3a63e637ed

I just got this for 0,99 + 4 GBP....

I know Australia is expensive for WH stuff, but it's pretty hopeless to get your "loss" back this way..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #408 on: March 31, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
At the risk of sounding ignorant and/or uneducated what is sniping software? I pretty much just know how to turn a computer on & off, and type. And steal music. And facebook. Past that it all might as well be Egyptian hieroglyphics to me.

"sniping" software is a program that will bid automatically for you to a preset amount in the last 2 seconds of the auction.  The premise is that the other bidders won't have time to counter bid.  The only problem is that you have to be willing to bid higher than the highest bidder.   In many cases, the price gets driven up too high anyway, but if you want to win something at any cost, it can be useful...
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Timbor

• Members
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #410 on: March 31, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Im not sure why but this actually makes me a bit angry. 'Pro Painted' apparently, it really isn't.

Hold your horses! The seller never claims it is pro-painted. It's actually "pro patinted" so there!!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #411 on: March 31, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
http://www.miniaturepainters.com/index.php?cat_id=16

Not that bad really, thier site (typo puprosely not corrected :icon_twisted:,) does look quite proffi.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:32:00 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
http://www.miniaturepainters.com/index.php?cat_id=16

Not that bad really, thier site (typo puprosely not corrected :icon_twisted:,) does look quite proffi.

The problem is that pro painted doesn't mean painted to very high standard or painted very well, it just means it's painted by a professional. Not all professionals are extremely good at something, even though one definition of a professional is someone who is an expert. One the other hand one definitely is someone who follows and occupation as a means of livelyhood. Take it how you will.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
They do have different levels of quality. The higher quality: the higher price. It's also an indication of proffesionalism, they know how to paint in different standards. Tbh, I don't care much, I won't be using their service anyhow.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #415 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
The pictures on their site aren't painted by them, unless they can do exact replicas of the GW studio figures. They're showing pictures of the models painted by 'Eavy Metal! The site looks a bit of a scam.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #416 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »

"sniping" software is a program that will bid automatically for you to a preset amount in the last 2 seconds of the auction.  The premise is that the other bidders won't have time to counter bid.  The only problem is that you have to be willing to bid higher than the highest bidder.   In many cases, the price gets driven up too high anyway, but if you want to win something at any cost, it can be useful...
Not entirely correct- it will bid your maximum bid in the last two seconds of the auction. So say the current price is $20. Your maximum is $60, and the max from the current highest bidder is $40. With sniping software, you'll end up paying $42 in the end. Without it, you'd first bid $42, and risk seeing the price driven up by someone else :)

And if someone else bid $80, well with sniping software you at least can't be tempted to up the ante.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #417 on: March 31, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
Sniping works on the premise that people don't bid their maximum they are willing to pay for something or are waiting for the last couple seconds of an auction to bid. Most people treat it more like a traditional auction and will rebid when they get outbid. To avoid someone rebidding and driving the price up higher if you've outbid them, you wait until they don't have a chance to rebid, by bidding in the last couple seconds. Either that or you're trying to get something with no bids for the lowest price possible.

With Sniping you maximize your chances of getting something at a lower price. Of course there are lots of people out there who do it so someone else will ususally be trying to snipe at the same time you are. Then it just comes down to who enters the highest bid, or who ever submits their bid first if you submit a bid of the same ammount. It think it has merit. Lots of people hate the practice and complain about getting sniped by someone in the last couple seconds. My reply is always, "Why didn't you bid higher if you wanted it?" Most people don't have anything to say to the question. It's all a part of the eBay system so you have to live with it.

It's because of this that I don't bother having more than 3 day auctions. I just try to advertise them as much as possible. Most people won't do any bidding during the first few days of a 5 day auction, unless it is an in demand item, then you'll get fairly steady bids. They tend to bid during the last few days. Why have it up longer if people aren't going to bid? I'm sure I've lowered my intake on some auctions but it doesn't bother me much and I've never really been too dissappointed at my final selling prices. Occasionally when I have something I know will go for a high price, I'll do a 5 day auction to give it more exposure.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #418 on: March 31, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
While I understand the benefits of sniping (I do it quite often, I just do it manually as I don't bid on tons of stuff), in the majority of cases stuff tends to be bid higher by other folk first, so any benefit sniping would have given me disappears due to the back and forth of a few people.  I have had some successes, but I can't quite say whether anyone would have bid higher on those auctions anyway.

Your best bet with sniping is to bid on stuff that is less popular, as there will only be one or two bidders.  On popular stuff, say mordheim auctions, oop empire stuff, etc, the bidding is most often higher than I want to bid before the end anyway (hence my disenchantment with sniping).

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #419 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
aha. thanks everybody. i got some mordheim guys to sell on there soon, do they go for a lot??

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #420 on: April 01, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
Depends what they are...

Offline astorre

• Members
« Reply #421 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
2 warrior priests, the guys with the puppets and the fish, some zealots.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »
you should get a decent return out of them.  The mercenary stuff tends to go for a lot (especially the middenheim ones).  Sisters of sigmar, for whatever reason, go for ridiculous prices these days.  About a year ago I got a whole warband or more for about $40.  Now you see the same lot going for twice that.  And those are still available!

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:03 AM »
Like all ranges, there are common and rarer Mordheim figures. First edition Amazons and Sisters of Sigmar go for high prices, as do the 'flash' releases Ostlanders, Averlanders and Kislevites.  Other figures that didnt sell in big numbers such as 'The Town Cryer' or alternative Warlock figure are scarce and thus valuable. 

The unreleased Jester went for £250 a couple of months ago.
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
My hood is my castle...