home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 141312 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
I bought something on ebay that didn't arrive. So I sent the seller a message asking if he was sure he'd sent it, and he refunded me.

Now I feel bad - it's not his fault if the post ate it! And I didn't ask for a refund.  :icon_confused:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
I once sent something which didn’t arrive, but I didn’t put a return address on it. I gave the dude a refund because it was my fault no return address- if it had had a return address I could have claimed against the post office.
Don’t feel bad!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
I suppose that's a good point. And it wasn't that much money.

Oh well!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #829 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:02 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-72-Red-Baron-Flying-Circus-6-WW1-Fighters-in-one-box-by-ESCI-NIB-/190815556470?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c6d7e5376

I'm looking for some WWI plane bits, but won't bid on this because:

"If you have less than 99.7% approval or less than 10 completed transactions, please refrain from placing any bids."

I qualify in both cases, but it sounds dick-ish. Especially for someone who says...

"Please note: I don't have a computer right now.  I can only get to a computer once a week or so--so I can't answer questions quickly."

So the seller only wants to deal with prime customers, but he's got prepared excuses & special conditions. Others include...

"I will ship within two weeks of getting your payment. (This is not a business)"

Two fucking weeks? Serious? How long does it take to put single box of models into a shipping box and drop it off at the post office? Better yet... the US post office will pick your shit up at home, you don't even have to leave.

And speaking of postal stuff...

"Also, I don't ship outside the USA---too many problems in the past with slow postal service in other countries caused buyers complaints to eBay, so I'm sorry, I'd like to sell to everyone but I don't have time to deal with the hassles and problems that international shipping causes."

I have been buying and selling internationally for decades. Minimal problems. In fact, no worse than domestic shipping. Possibly even better. Combined with the rest of this seller's commentary, it's like red flags signaling "ebay drama queen."

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #830 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »
He only has 99.5 approval haha
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #831 on: March 25, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
I'm looking for some WWI plane bits, but won't bid on this because...

You should see some of the conditions people put on their bartertown ads.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #832 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
He only has 99.5 approval haha

Too funny!

On ebay, what does it matter if someone has less than 99.7% approval?  Once their money clears, it is all set.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #833 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
I'm looking for some WWI plane bits, but won't bid on this because...

You should see some of the conditions people put on their bartertown ads.

Oh jeezuz.... Bartertown. The only "bad" incident I've had was on Bartertown, and he's the reason why guys ads like the one I just posted set off red flags.

I was selling some unpainted figures. It was under $100 worth of stuff. As we were haggling twice I had to send multiple messages because I'd go over a week without hearing from the guy. So we trade info, I give him my paypal, he sends his address and then I'm waiting again for a while for payment. I finally hear back from him and he asks me to ship first because my rating is lower. (Bartertown is based on number of trades, not percentage BTW.) I explain to him that I've got a 100% positive feedback both there and on eBay with a significant number of trades/sales, that I've been painting entire armies on commission for decades, and that I've been the one who has to keep prodding him for communication to commit to the deal. Aside from that, since we're using PayPal, he could always dispute it.

So I tell him that it's been about a month now and I'm just not comfortable with the deal. Sorry but I'm going to sell to someone else. I had several other people wanting to buy, so I PM-ed the second person to contact me, got paid and shipped everything out within a day and a half.

A few days later I start getting a series of messages from the original buyer telling me that I am a bad trader because we had a deal, and since we agreed on a price and postage it was set in stone. Therefore he's going to leave me bad feedback and report me on the BT forums, etc. I explain that we did *not* have a deal because we did not agree to all of the terms of the sale. And if I'm not comfortable selling to someone who's been uncommunicative and suspicious, that's my right and he can't threaten me into selling to him without being paid. I told him that if he posted stuff about me on the forums, to be sure to include the full transcript of our communications, because if he didn't, I would. He never did post anything.

The moral of the story being... the more conditions and complications someone throws into a deal, the more that's a sign (in my opinion) that there's going to be trouble. Buying, selling & trading should usually be a simple affair.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #834 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
The rep number on Bartertown does reflect both good and bad ratings, not just total trades.  A good trade will give you a +2 rep, a bad rating will give you a -10. 

It wasn't fair of him to require a ship first and hold hard to it if he didn't stipulate that earlier in the trade.  You were perfectly within your rights to shut the trade down at that point and he would have had his negative rating removed.  Magicalmemories runs a tight ship over there and all of the admins do a great job dealing with issues.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #835 on: March 25, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
The moral of the story being... the more conditions and complications someone throws into a deal, the more that's a sign (in my opinion) that there's going to be trouble. Buying, selling & trading should usually be a simple affair.
Yup.  I average about one trade a year on bartertown and never deal with guys who include a number of conditions on their posts.  Usually it's for a few spare bits or something small.  Unloaded some Chaos Knight lances a few months back for a few bucks.

I've got a 40k army that I'll probably just toss on eBay rather than deal with the Bartertown headache.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #836 on: March 25, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »
I have done about $4000 in trades since 2008 on Bartertown and much prefer it to ebay.  If you really need a specific item though or don't have trade fodder, Ebay is the easier method.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #837 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
It wasn't fair of him to require a ship first and hold hard to it if he didn't stipulate that earlier in the trade.  You were perfectly within your rights to shut the trade down at that point and he would have had his negative rating removed.  Magicalmemories runs a tight ship over there and all of the admins do a great job dealing with issues.

No, he popped that "ship first" thing at the last minute, and only after I had been waiting for a week after he said he would send me the money and didn't. FWIW, he was one of the "bartertown watch" people, though he apparently hasn't even signed in since his last "threat." In fact, after a year of my final reply sitting undelivered in my outbox, I deleted it because I just really don't want to have anything to do with the issue anymore.

I have done about $4000 in trades since 2008 on Bartertown and much prefer it to ebay.  If you really need a specific item though or don't have trade fodder, Ebay is the easier method.

I hate to sound elitist or anything, but I've been a big trader on BT since it was a newsgroup, before it was an actual web page. If you don't count my painting commissions (I was one of the first advertisers -- for my painting services) I've probably done at least $25k of sales there. If you add in the trades and painting commissions, I'm sure it's more like three times that much. I've even personally met & delivered to some of the people I've dealt with. Even arranged to play some 40k with a few of them, back when I was still into the game! :) My bigger individual sales/references have been close to your $4k total. I sold an army for almost that much about a year and a half ago. So for this guy to start tossing threats and demands over something like $70 worth of plastic after I had offered to provide references was insulting and just not worth my time.

Heh... I sound like such a snob.   :closed-eyes:

Odd question.. but I haven't really "followed" the forums or chatted with anyone in a long time. Does Adam/Trademaster have anything to do with the site anymore?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #838 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
I don't recall someone with that name.  Porkuslime and Magicalmemories are the most common admins, but he could certainly still be active!

I have about 200 trades on there and have only been unsatisfied 3 times and posted a negative comment only once.  I just find it is the best way to bulk out an army.  You only end up needing to buy the tougher to find items which can save a lot.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #839 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »
I must say, if I were selling something I would NEVER ship before recieving payment, regardless of the relative feedback ratings. A trade is a different matter, but for sales I would expect someone to pay first.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
I have done about $4000 in trades since 2008 on Bartertown and much prefer it to ebay.

Bartertown's becoming the Craigslist of the gaming world.

You could say something like : "I have a Vampire Counts army and am looking to trade for cash or unpainted Chaos Warriors."

And get responses like: "Want to trade the Vampire Counts for my Tyranid army? I'll throw in some broken Fimir models to sweeten the deal. What do ya think?"
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
I have done something very similar to that actually!

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
Want River Trolls Have Cash

PM: Want to buy my pro-painted Dark Eldar army?  It's $600 retail, only asking $1500!

:?

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »

You could say something like : "I have a Vampire Counts army and am looking to trade for cash or unpainted Chaos Warriors."

And get responses like: "Want to trade the Vampire Counts for my Tyranid army? I'll throw in some broken Fimir models to sweeten the deal. What do ya think?"

What does it hurt to ask though? Does it take so much of a person's time to either ignore the request or send a quick response saying "No, my trade desires are firm." I traded stuff like that before. Both as the person making the offer and receiving the offer of stuff I wasn't originally asking for.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #844 on: March 27, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
Want River Trolls Have Cash

PM: Want to buy my pro-painted Dark Eldar army?  It's $600 retail, only asking $1500!

:?

Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #845 on: April 01, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
It's pro painted. What a bargain.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #846 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
This is great ....... first look at the price .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citadel-Warhammer-C22-Chaos-Hound-Pre-slotta-OOP-/140947732283#ht_215wt_1432

........ then look at the bidding history and see how well it was sniped.

:engel:

... and I nearly tried chopping off one of the heads on mine to turn it into a Cult of Ulric Hunting Hound ........  :closed-eyes:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #847 on: April 10, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Sniped with a golden bullet....$125 for that is insane
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #848 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »
Wow this conversion is perhaps quite old but that Zoats and Marauder Ogres died to to create it still hurts.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members