home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 141296 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #1026 on: June 18, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
so?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1027 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
They look like very bad castings.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1028 on: June 18, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
I must need glasses.

I do think it's misleading, BUT if they go well below the market rate for 40 marauder dwarfs (which would be what, at least £80?), then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Pass the machete.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1029 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »
I would say it is also hard to get a good idea of the casting quality from that zoom level as well.  Poor lighting and no closeup can make the best casts look like crap.

Not defending the guy, just sayin'
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1030 on: June 18, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
I don;t think they look obviously recast, but then I am a modelling scrub.

The fact there's a plastic hero quest in metal is pretty dodge.

Pass the machete.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1031 on: June 18, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
How do I block him from my eBay feeds, do you know? I agree t hose are likely fakes.....

Good question. I've been wondering that lately, too. There's one seller who constantly relists the same single figures for a ton of money. They never seem to sell (can't imaging why...) so they keep popping up in my followed searches. I'd love to filter that person out. I haven't looked into that, though -- is there a way?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1034 on: June 23, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

There's one seller who constantly relists the same single figures for a ton of money. They never seem to sell (can't imaging why...) so they keep popping up in my followed searches. I'd love to filter that person out. I haven't looked into that, though -- is there a way?

There are plenty of these sellers out there. I too like to get the best possible price when selling something on ebay (who wouldn't) but there are so many people out there listing things for absolutely absurd prices. The minis will NEVER sell for that amount - it seems impossible. I don't understand what they hope to achive by doing that - it's a waste of time and money.

Then again, I've seen shops by sellers with thousands of positively rated transactions, that are only offering minis at (much) too high prices. Do they really sell some of them eventually? I don't get it. I'm already having problems selling my miniatures for average prices.

Example: I think I've seen someone yesterday listing a couple of NIB Empire minis - one of them the WW Grandmaster for the price of around £65. The mini normally sells for about 1/10th of that.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #1035 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »
well, it's a free market, people do what they think will profit them. But I suspect that prices will drop radically once Warhammer the game as we know it is obsolete. Suddenly the market will be flodded, and noone will be buying.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
It depends on the minis I think. Most of the old OOP metal miniatures will probably keep their high prices. All the plastic kits of 7th and 8th edition however ...

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1037 on: June 24, 2015, 12:08:20 AM »
That depends on the popularity of Warhammer in the future, methinks.

Currently, there are collectors who fondly remember the nostalgia of gaming in the 80s and 90s, and they have the disposable income to purchase the figures they could not afford at the time.  Will all those metal miniatures still be in demand in 5 or 10 years as the collectors get older and newer ones are less interested in them?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1038 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »

This is one of those sellers I'd like to block...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/veganmaster

Half the crap from them that pops up in my searches is stuff that's still available and/or nearly worthless, but marked up massively. Like figures you can still buy direct from a manufacturer for $5, marked up to as high as $50. And the same garbage keeps getting relisted over and over and over so it comes up month after month. I could go through my searches way faster if I could just filter this seller (and a few others like them) out completely.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #1039 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:11 AM »

This is one of those sellers I'd like to block...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/veganmaster

Half the crap from them that pops up in my searches is stuff that's still available and/or nearly worthless, but marked up massively. Like figures you can still buy direct from a manufacturer for $5, marked up to as high as $50. And the same garbage keeps getting relisted over and over and over so it comes up month after month. I could go through my searches way faster if I could just filter this seller (and a few others like them) out completely.
You should use your own link, and just block the guy. :-)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1040 on: September 10, 2015, 02:44:19 AM »
"pro built/base coat"  :icon_lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271981038768

I think the next step is to sell something that is still sealed in shrink wrap as "pro stored."

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1041 on: September 10, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
"pro built/base coat"  :icon_lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271981038768

I think the next step is to sell something that is still sealed in shrink wrap as "pro stored."

he lacks pro-photography for sure..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #1042 on: September 11, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
I think even GW's prices for the assembled bits of this amazing (haha) conversion are lower:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Fantasy-Empire-Chaplain-styled-General-conversion-/371252289788
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #1043 on: September 11, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »
There are plenty of these sellers out there. I too like to get the best possible price when selling something on ebay (who wouldn't) but there are so many people out there listing things for absolutely absurd prices. The minis will NEVER sell for that amount - it seems impossible. I don't understand what they hope to achive by doing that - it's a waste of time and money.

Or an exercise in money laundering.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1044 on: September 25, 2015, 05:47:35 AM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262064396403&alt=web

Based on what I've bought off eBay recently, I'd say my "best offer" would be about 10% of that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:50:14 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #1045 on: September 27, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262064396403&alt=web

Based on what I've bought off eBay recently, I'd say my "best offer" would be about 10% of that.

With shipping being over $12 on top of that I'd probably be a little under that even.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1046 on: September 29, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »

::heretic:: General eBay Warhammer rants  ::heretic::

- Eldar aspect warriors and wraithguard are not "Rogue Trader era."

- Nor is anything WFB, as there was no Fantasy Rogue Trader, and half of the stuff described as such was around before Rogue Trader even existed.

- Stop using "Pre-Slotta" to describe non-GW figures without a slot, especially when they're new figures currently in production.

- Do people really think that using "LQQK" in the title gets more people to look at their auction. "Well, it's not something I'm interested in... but the title is so compelling!" Besides, it's like the equivalent of wearing acid washed jeans or big shoulder pads -- or painting every detail on your miniatures red! -- a goofy looking trend better left in the past.

:mrgreen:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1047 on: September 29, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
What I hate is the ebay-global-shipping-program. I see more and more listings with this crap, almost exclusively by sellers from the UK (on ebay.co.uk). What is the big benefit that the seller has from offering this over a normal tracked/signed-for shipping option? There is none - at least not when you ship to the EU. Is it really that hard to look up the actual cost for shipping a package to Europe once? All the global-shipping-program does, is to rule out half of the potential buyers, because no one will pay up to £10 shipping for a single miniature. In most cases, the shipping costs between 50% to 100% more than it would cost, if the seller would directly send it to the buyer.

I did recently make a purchase and had to pay a hefty £13 for shipping from the UK to Austria, just because of the global-shipping-program. If it had not been for the moderate auction price, I would have never bought it under these circumstances.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1048 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »

Oooh, new lower price. I wasn't going to buy it until I noticed the big $0.04 price drop (0.1% discount?)!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361402186048&alt=web

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1049 on: October 06, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARHAMMER-Empire-Greatswords-8612-GAMES-WORKSHOP-/371306056153?hash=item567390c9d9

What a great offer!
RRP £25.99 - but now (only!) £32.97 ... that's what it really says.