home

Author Topic: Just when I thought I was out...  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
Just when I thought I was out...
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:48:41 AM »
It's been apparently 8/9 years since I last posted on here.

In a mad fit of rage 9 years ago I sprayed my bogenhafen army chaos black, wrote the death of my general at the end of the Nemesis Crown campaign and sold 3000 pts+ for $150 aussie dollars.  :blush:

Well it appears the man can quit the Empire, but the Empire wont quit him.

I've just gone back to fifth edition, secured the complete edition (templates, red wacky sticks, winds of magic and all), and the lure of frilly jackets and gleaming halberds has pulled me right back in.

Has any one else here retrod the old road back to 7pt greatswords and Imperial ogres?

Or have I gone mad?
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: Just when I thought I was out...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:01 AM »
Or have I gone mad?

This.  :happy:

Make sure not to bring humans in your army apart from the required general and possibly some flagellants. The Empire was smarter back then and let the demihumans do their dirty work.

Now, the wacky sticks bring back some fond memories.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:16:03 AM »
Haha

The red sticks of doom!  :-P

I've got a copy of battle magic as well, for the college cards.

Do you think the lore of light acolytes are easy enough to port across into 5th?

It seems that battle magic is really no different to warhammer magic, just the cards are a whole bunch nicer.

Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:05:25 AM »
Warhammer Magic was pretty much the same as Battle Magic, apart from pushing the Colleges to the back of the book instead of giving them their own cards, and a few items etc got tweaked along the way.

Why 5th edition? Empire Ogres being blatantly better than Knights always made me sad. And I never even played Empire until maybe 10 years later...

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:35:47 AM »
Why fifth?

Well, honestly it was my first, and I actually think it was the best of the editions as far as completion's sake is concerned. I love the cards with the Wayne England symbols and the vibrancy of the edition as a whole.

We also played a hell of a lot of whfrp back in the day, (Shadows over Bogenhafen) and even though I might have played my majority of games under sixth and most of seventh, I still feel that fifth was the truest representation of the universe for me. It wasn't the stripped back army books of sixth, or the bland attempts to fix up the content of seventh and eighth.

With all the Characters that were forgotten as we progressed coming back to life for me now, like Skaw the Falconer, Roland le chasseur, Armand d'aquitaine. But most importantly Gotrek and Felix.

The only thing that is really missing were ogre kingdoms as a stand alone army, but honestly I like that they werent a full blown race as the weren't in the "hub" for gaming civilistation and were basically the mercenary race their later background tried to reflect, but I think failed to replicate on the table in seventh and eighth.

And who can forget Shadow of the Horned Rat, my first RTS game...

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »
yes, nostalgia should always trump reason.  :engel:

As long as you play with responsible adults any edition of warhammer can be fun. some are just more fun than others. just don't paint your bows RED. that is the one step to far.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:27:49 AM »
There's too much of sixth in me to want to paint bows anything other than kopinski drab. :happy:

Bases will still be goblin green though!

I've got a few mates that are playing fifth now that I am, so its nice to have a decent group. All ex-40k tourney players so burnt out and over gaming that fifth is just the right tonic to keep us all social, we also play a lot of Bolt Action as well. So as a group we've all shifted focus, I think, in the right direction.