home

Author Topic: Help me choose shields- wood elves  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
Help me choose shields- wood elves
« on: May 06, 2020, 04:47:39 AM »
Hey there Forum dwellers!  I've got a an issue here with shields for some old Wood Elf Glade Guard. I bought these used and they didn't have shields with them. While I have some elongated kite shields (like High elves use) they look weird on the Wood elves. I bought some Gripping Beast round metal shields and Celtic transfers from Little Big Man Studios, but then I saw the tree emblem shields from Fire Forge.

What say ye? Which do you prefer?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Help me choose shields- wood elves
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
I have those tree emblem shields from Fireforge. They're based on 3d designs, with sharply cornered details, and somehow I feel they lack the organic feeling I tend to connect to older Citadel minis, especially the Wood Elves. But I guess that's just an opinion, a personal aestethic preference.

So I'd pick the Gripping Beast shields with those Celtic transfers. :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:48:51 PM »
I'm with Zygmund, and would go with the Gripping Beast decals.

I have 12 each of the 4 sets of the Fire Forge shields that they did for the Fire Forge fantasy figures.  They will likely go on the Fire Forge figures as I develop that project.  They might work with wood elfs, although I like the Celtic look more.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »
Personally I've never liked Celtic designs on Citadel wood elves, but that's just personal taste I guess. The tree shields look nice.

Are they of the vintage that have molded-on shield bosses? You can still find the original shields if you hunt ebay a bit.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I already have the GB shields and 3 packs of decals so it does save money.

Shadespyre- do you mean the round thing on the hand or arm to fit a hole in the shield? If so, yes, they are that vintage. My issue is I don't feel the elongated kite shield works for Wood Elves.  Not sure why exactly!

Offline grwydraurd

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:21:16 AM »
Personally I've never liked Celtic designs on Citadel wood elves, but that's just personal taste I guess. The tree shields look nice.

Are they of the vintage that have molded-on shield bosses? You can still find the original shields if you hunt ebay a bit.

Impressive!Thanks for the post