home

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!  (Read 241191 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2825 on: June 07, 2019, 02:19:02 AM »
Drogon then burninates the throne instead, since dragons are very good with symbolism,

I love that whole angle.... Pointy thing in mom? Burn all the pointy things!!!

I don't know it just was just done so poorly.

I can agree with that.

I don't even object with the greater plot of the ending, or season 8. Just a lot of the inconsistencies & details. A very clumsy conclusion.

On the other hand, I figured I would never read the last two books (if they're ever published). But now I want a more satisfying conclusion...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2826 on: June 07, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
We don't see a Dany order to kill Lannisters- before the attack it looks like she agrees to call off the attack if the bells ring. I took it that GreyWorm was just taking a page out of Dany's burnination phase and tkaing the chance for vengeance for Missandei

Drogon then burninates the throne instead, since dragons are very good with symbolism,

I love that whole angle.... Pointy thing in mom? Burn all the pointy things!!!

I don't know it just was just done so poorly.

I can agree with that.

I don't even object with the greater plot of the ending, or season 8. Just a lot of the inconsistencies & details. A very clumsy conclusion.

On the other hand, I figured I would never read the last two books (if they're ever published). But now I want a more satisfying conclusion...

This is my problem. I do have an issue with Bran being king, but even that is rectifiable if it is played more that he manipulated a bunch of situations to get to that point. Dany going burnination I have no problem with, just the execution. And even that, there was enough in the show to lead up to it it just felt slightly rushed.

I would also say, season 1-4 I watched it and enjoyed it. From season 5 those show ruining inconsistencies and little details started to creep in, and just grew and grew.

and yes, I had accepted not getting any more books but now I really want them. I figure we may get a book 6, but book 7 and on probably not.
Could the ending be a motivator for GRRM, to try and finish it off better? or a demotivator, seeing the fans visceral reaction against the general strokes of the ending he has apparently already laid out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:21:00 PM by Finlay »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2827 on: June 07, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
To me, I have an issue with episode 4 and 6, mainly in relation to pacing. They could have put a lot more into before the destruction of kings landing, such as some on the road scenes with Arya and the hound, and a bunch of other travel and dialog scenes. Also the scorpians being effective, then not effective next episode felt awkward. Episode 6 started strong, but after Dany was dead I agree Grey Worm could have become a bit more rogue, rather than deferring to the others and doing nothing. Also i hated how magically big her army was again after sll the loses at Winterfell.

The could have had more content and conflict if they kept the Griff and Jon Conington storyline in and I wonder how that would have resolved.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2828 on: June 07, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
I agree with you fine folks. I have no problem with the plots points in general. it's just the execution and how they showed the plot points that bugs me. Even Arya killing the Night King I like, but how they showed it could have been better. Same with most of the other issues.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2829 on: June 07, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
They could have put a lot more into before the destruction of kings landing, such as some on the road scenes with Arya and the hound, and a bunch of other travel and dialog scenes.

This so very much since I think one of the best 'arc' arguments out there is the one about Jamie. While I never thought he should turn great guy or even stab Cersei, the key was to make it more a tragedy of falling back into an old toxic relationship. he can still have that ending and the things he says to Brienne and Tyrion but if you had scenes where he randomly did something honorable or helpful to say little folk on the way you would understand that that bit of Jamie is still there but overwhelmed by his problematic relationship. His statements then would be delusional bluster not as filmed potential truth robbing the audience of what we learned about the character along the way. A character arc can return to a bad path at the end and be interesting it just can't run into a wall a plummet back to that point as the show decided to do.

and yes, I had accepted not getting any more books but now I really want them. I figure we may get a book 6, but book 7 and on probably not.
Could the ending be a motivator for GRRM, to try and finish it off better? or a demotivator, seeing the fans visceral reaction against the general strokes of the ending he has apparently already laid out.

Ideally the former rather than the latter. None of this visceral hate should go on Martin in the least since, once you ignore the idiots, it has been largely along the lines of our discussion here. None of the plot choices are bad it is the execution that failed in the show for what seems only like the show-runners wanted to be done and were too proud to hand it off. HBO was willing to pay for more and they completely failed when it came to saying the longer episode length would get more bang for you buck, it merely drew out scenes that were already gratuitous to again painful lightsaber fight on Mustafar levels.

Anyway I thought of this analogy early today, so Game of Thrones started as Crusader Kings 2 and ended as one of those shitty single battle at a time no strategy map Medieval Battle RTS games. Furthering this analogy the middle seasons became progressively worse iterations of Total War franchise offerings.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2830 on: July 05, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2831 on: July 23, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »
Finished Season 4 and Season 5.

Season 4 seemed to drag, and I actually got concerned if I was going to continue to like the series.

Season 5 struck me as being much better than Season 4 both with plot and character development.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2832 on: August 15, 2019, 12:54:16 AM »
Finished Season 6, and it seemed fairly as good as Season 5.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2833 on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:40 AM »
GamesPoet knocking those seasons out!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2834 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
Finished Season 4 and Season 5.

Season 4 seemed to drag, and I actually got concerned if I was going to continue to like the series.

Season 5 struck me as being much better than Season 4 both with plot and character development.

season 4 was the last great season.

Pass the machete.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2835 on: August 15, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
Is there any truth in the rumour that the latest season is getting remade? I heard it was so poorly received by the fans they petitioned a remake

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2836 on: August 15, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2837 on: August 15, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »
I didn't enjoy 4 at all.  5 & 6 were way better.  That picture doesn't bode well for 7 & 8.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2838 on: August 15, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Is there any truth in the rumour that the latest season is getting remade? I heard it was so poorly received by the fans they petitioned a remake

There is no truth to that what so ever. Some fans started a petition, then because a decent amount of people signed it the rumours blew out of proportion saying the producers would have to listen. Multiple people involved in the filming have flat out said its just not going to happen. They don't have the time, money or interest and all the actors have moved on to do with other things.

Sadly we've got what we've got.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #2839 on: August 15, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
Also, considering how wildly different people's expectations were about how the whole thing was going to end, I bet that even if it were remade, at least half the people who signed that petition would be disappointed anyway.

I think the ending itself was entirely decent. The path to it through seasons 7 and 8, not so much.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2840 on: August 16, 2019, 03:20:12 AM »

This picture would be far more fitting if the well drawn part started at the horses head, at least thematically. Though I hear "Themes are for eight grade book reports"
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2841 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:31 AM »
Hmmm ... so I finished viewing all of season 7.

It seemed to start out on par with season 6, and I liked 5 & 6 more than 4.  However, the last two episodes of season 7, episode 6 & 7 had flaws.

In episode 6 ... the idea that the dragon's could get all the way up to where the guys were stranded on the island in the middle of the ice covered lake after having captured an undead creature, that kind of stood out like a sore thumb.  And then the opening scene of episode 7 where the Lannister army was facing off against the Sons ... well, it freaking went no where, like what the heck happened, and with no explanation.  Plus the meeting of all those main characters in episode 7 ... bah, poorly written and could have used some more creativity accordingly.

I also didn't like that season 7 was only 7 episodes.  Total crud to think they couldn't have done a better job, and stretched it out over 10 like the other seasons, the writing could have been better then as a result, and if they had taken their time to get where they were going a smoother season could have happened.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:42:45 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2842 on: August 23, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
Yep. Introduced more characters like those in the books would have worked.
Griff in particular would have been enough added complexity to make the end a bit more interesting I think.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2843 on: August 25, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »
More characters, hmmm, I haven't read the books, not sure I will, who's Griff?

- - -

Episode 1 of 8th season was kind of blah, although episode 2 was a bit better. Only 4 episodes remaining to view.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2844 on: August 25, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
You want the spoilers GP? Griff is another pretender to the throne who crops up in the most recent books. If he's who he really say's he is, then he's got a good claim. But there's lots of rumours and whispers that he's not actually who he says, or even thinks he is.

It's a neat plot, but personally I never liked it. There's enough to wrap up without introducing a whole nother pretender and arc right at the end.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2845 on: August 25, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
No big deal regarding spoiling this.  The first volume initially drew my attention when I was younger, but never finished it, not sure I will give it another go or not, especially since I have so many other priorities.  Thanks for the info though! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2846 on: August 28, 2019, 03:47:35 AM »
You want the spoilers GP? Griff is another pretender to the throne who crops up in the most recent books. If he's who he really say's he is, then he's got a good claim. But there's lots of rumours and whispers that he's not actually who he says, or even thinks he is.

It's a neat plot, but personally I never liked it. There's enough to wrap up without introducing a whole nother pretender and arc right at the end.

See, I really liked it.
I also really liked Victarion Greyjoy.

Neither in the TV show.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2847 on: August 28, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »
I liked Griff, but hated victarion (but i hate everything about the greyjoys and iron islands, worst chapters in the entire series)

the problem is the show spent 7 seasons killing people and didnt re-introduce enough characters

Power vacuums in the constituent kingdoms of westeros would be filled by the minor houses, not just "oh well we fucked up the major house there, that area is sorted now"

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2848 on: August 28, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »
I hated Theon’s chapters, but the worst chapters I read were Brienne’s. I never understood why she was a favourite character in the show.

Victarion to me was the only interesting Greyjoy. Well I also liked Asha (Yara), but mainly because my imagination of her was quite different from the show casting.

If they had of introduced Griff and Victarion, there would have been more people to kill in the later seasons.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2849 on: August 29, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
she was definitely a character who was served well by the show in comparison to the books. Her and Jaime's arc was brilliant (until the end of s8)

Pass the machete.