home

Author Topic: Pimping a STank - "Finished" piece  (Read 16735 times)

Offline havre

• Members
Pimping a STank - "Finished" piece
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »
I've started my Empire army by getting my hands on GW's plastic Steam Tank and feel the need to convert a bit. My plan is to
- add an extra set of weels,
- remove the turret,
- extend the front chield and
- open it up.
- And Steampunk it a bit...

From a GW picture I've tried to get my bearings on how this will look after pimping:
[There was a picture here. It was a nice Stank. Use your imagination.-Perambulator]

1th challenge: Casting an extra set of weels.
I made some casts from Fimo with the original weels.

After baking the Fimo I added greenstuff for the weels, using cooking oil to prevent it from sticking.

The first bach turned out usable, but it seems to be needing quite a bit work on it.

I'm pushing into new terrain here, so some guidance and comments would be most Welcome.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:24:43 PM by havre »
Give us pictures!

Offline Chambo

• Members
Re: Pimping a STank
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »
I like your idea. Why don't you look on e-bay for the parts you need instead of moulding them yourself.
Be professional, be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
looking forward to see what you come up with!!  :smile2:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Lord Quiran de Lancastre

• Members
  • My idiocy knows no bounds
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:54:51 AM »
Lest Perambulator slap you on the hand, I would remove your pics of you making duplicates of copyright protected items.

I'm all for "recasting" but I would never show molds themselves.

If anything only show a primed final product so that people might not tell the difference.

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Conserning e-bay, I live in a country far far away ... :icon_wink:

Conserning copyright, the duplicates are for personal use only and are not intended to be in violation of Norwegian or British copyright law. Furthermore, while posting pictures of them I concur that this website conforms to Games Workshop's (GW) Intellectual Property (IP) pollicies, and will off course remove them if the admin so wishes or it is otherwize found that by posting them I infridge on the integrity of this website by making it violate canadian law.
Give us pictures!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »
You seem to be forgetting international law, there ;) (I know nothing about the laws, just saying)

I like the idea of the extra wheels and opening it up, but to be honest the whole onger front thing seems a bit ridiculous. Good luck with the project!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Chambo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Conserning e-bay, I live in a country far far away ... :icon_wink:

Have you seen how far far away Australia is?
Be professional, be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:41:35 AM »
If you want a two wheel set up at the rear why not just cut the wheels in half and use plastic card or equivalent to make mudguard type arrangement over the missing top parts.

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
Quote from: Chambo
Have you seen how far far away Australia is?
Australia? Never heard of it... You are not kidding me? Next thing you'll be sayin that it is on the underside of the earth. But you won't fool me. no sir.
Give us pictures!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
Oh, come on.
Hm. jokes aside.  :icon_redface:
As with Jak's suggestion to cut in twos and cover up, e-bay might come in handy as a plan B.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:05:46 PM by havre »
Give us pictures!

Offline Moriar

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/martindahl2
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
Since your referring to Norwegian law i take it your Norwegian too like me. Besides the name gives you away. I regularly shop bits and GW stuff from various sites on the web and never once have i had any problems. Right now the Norwegian Kroner really strong, especially vs the british pound. Remember that any package worth under 200NOK (~£20 or ~$40 at the moment) you dont have to pay toll. This is including any shipping tho so keep that in mind.

All though its not bits my last order was from http://totalwargamer.co.uk/

I only paid for one shipping and handling even tho they sent my order in two boxes. Only one was stopped in the toll, adding 200NOK to the total cost. Still saved me 300NOK from buying the stuff at GW, which i cant considering i dont live in Oslo.

Ive had a couple of orders from bitsandkits.co.uk but theyre horrible at resupplying it seems and atm the didnt have Stank wheels.
My Nuln army painting log
And the generals gave thanks. As the other ranks, held back the enemy tanks! For a while. -Pink Floyd

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »
We're not a Norwegian site. GW is actually quite aggressive in enforcing it's IP rights on American and Canadian sites (this site is hosted on Canadian servers).

Regardless of what the law may be where you are, it is a violation of the Terms of Use of THIS SITE to post pics from GW. Thank you for your cooperation. 
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Just a slight clarification on why I didn't comment on havre's part's molding. For one thing, he isn't selling them. If he were to start selling them, he wouldn't be able to do so on this site. He's welcome to try elsewhere and that's between him and GW. Taking pictures of items that he presumably legally purchased and owns is just fine. Using pictures that he got directly from GW is another matter entirely as he has not purchased the right to repost them here.

We have had a number of threads relating to sculpting, molding, etc. and how to do so. As there are many more legitimate uses for such techniques then merely copying and infrigement of third party rights, we have no basis for blocking such descriptions. We can block what are blatant violations and we do the best we can.

Your continued assistance and cooperation on this is much appreciated. Feel free to contact me with specific questions if you have any.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
And so the work continues...

Using Milliput, I tried getting a smoth surface where the front chield was extended. The picture below is from before sanding and polish, and I'm still a bit worried it will look to uneven.

The first extra weel turned out relatively okay, so hopefully there will be no use for e-bay as of yet. I'll have to move the pistons to fit in with the weels, but am still a bit unsure where to put them.

Give us pictures!

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »
Very nice work so far! I'm impressed, I wouldn't be able to extend the front so smoothly.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
I am loving it so far! I might have to try this just for fun, good luck and keep posting wip pictures.  steveb

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
Thanks guys!
Been doing some work on the base. Inspired by misterjustins work I'm going for some watery ground. Only my wehicle will keep its weels dry - hopefully. :wink: It depicts an old broken stone bridge hastily repaired with a chrackled wooden structure.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:15:15 AM by havre »
Give us pictures!

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »
I like it. A lot. In fact, I love it, well done  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

However, do you think a Stank could really make it over a bridge? Really??
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 06:51:39 AM »
Why do you think it was repaired  ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
Duuuuh. I dunno  :icon_confused:

(pssst, don't look now, but I think it might have had something to do with that ogre over there)
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline Crube

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
Looking good there, Sir...

I would personally used plsticard to make the bulk of the front extension, and just used GS to fill the gaps...

Be sure to check, and double check that the GS is flat and smooth before you paint. a fine mist  coat of primer will help you identify any uneven areas...

Well done so far though  :eusa_clap:

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
Hope you get the angles on the front to add up, they show up as a bit skewed in your original build, before the putty.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Nice looking bridge, even if the tank is going to break it.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline havre

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
A bit put off by the work of Pepe now  :icon_eek: but trying to kickstart my stank project again. First on: Turret mounted Steamcannon has been a bit modified. Should I drill a hole on the front of the pipe for the sights or leave them where they are?

Next I'm trying to make the four weels pull together like a locomotive - You know the drift. The end of a (ed: Lavett is the wor I use - not sure about the english one though)is added in case the stank runs out of fuel and needs to be pulled

Following the tip from crube I've basecoated the front shield - and it does turn out quite uneven.  :eusa_sick: (There's nothing like pictures when it comes to spotting bad spots.) However, I hope some more sanding will help and the rest fit in with the weathered look. Same goes for the skewed angels, Herostratos.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:53:53 AM by havre »
Give us pictures!