home

Author Topic: Battle at the Gates of Kislev: 40.000 points per side battle (june 16th-17th)  (Read 17624 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Battle at the Gates of Kislev: 40.000 points per side battle (WiP)
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 04:16:03 AM »
I'm really looking forward to watching this develop. Great idea, and epic scope. Those Tabletop World buildings are great.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu bràth!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 04:33:35 AM »
Following, this looks like it's going to be epic.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
What company sells those sweet sweet buildings?

As 023 said, they are from Tabletop World ( http://www.tabletop-world.com/ ). Take a look on them and fell in love forever.

I am glad you're enjoying with this project. That's the idea!

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »
Fantastic project, look forward to progress

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
A friend of mine and I tried a much scaled down version of the battle back in the 90s with 5th edition rules.  It wasn't very satisfying to run the Empire/Kislev alliance with those rules.

I am quite interested in your current project!
 :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 11:27:39 AM »
Thank you Red Shift and Von Kurst.

Yes, clearly warhammer rules have changed a lot since 5th edition. And also miniatures points! Now they cost half their ancient price.

Have you got any pics of that battle?

Soon I will upload some pics of our first imperial units recently painted. But I am not sure if it's better to fit it here or to create another post in the "Brush and Pallette" forum. May be the second choice would be more appropiate.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 04:46:56 AM »
Go for a thread in B&P. And, we don't mind seeing a few pictures of the chaos side either.

It'll also be a good way to remind some people whenever your blogspot thing got updated. You know, the ones that are technically challenged and can't figure out how to sign up for update notifications.  :engel:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
Your wishes, my orders, Naitsabes!  :::cheers:::

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51466.0.html

I'm not sure how to allow people to receive update notificatios from the blog, sorry.  :icon_neutral:

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 02:52:47 AM »
Have you got any pics of that battle?

No.  Never even thought of such things back then.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »
Haha... yeah, different times then...  :icon_wink:
Anyway, I am sure that was an awesome day. And that's what matters.

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
Hi all,

I'm Roger's brother-in-arms organising this battle. I have a few issues which I made a note a month ago, but couldn't publish before because of this forum registration process... finally! I got registered :-D

And many thanks mates, your contribution is so appreciated!

The Reiksguard in their current format were commissioned by Emperor Wilhelm III sometime after his ascension in 2429. The Reikland certainly had Knightly Orders representing its Elector, the Reikland Guard of the era of the Vampire Wars or the Reiksknecht during the late first millennium.

The Helstorm is considered newer by the way it is presented in the fluff. since it's appellation comes from the Elector of Middenland, 7th generic and in the 8th the current sitting Elector. It could have been nameless for hundreds of years or had another nickname but the presentation suggests it would probably be more recent.

Also repeating weapons from the College of Engineers would have only been available to the Elector of Reikland's personal troops during the Great War as well. A few may have slipped into the service of other Electors but certainly no other province would field Outriders.

Regarding the Reiksguard I seem to recall that there are contradictory sources on its origin. We had a discussion on this forum some time ago but I was unable to dig it up. In any case, even if you don't call them Reiksguard, I think some form of elite knights with Reiksguard rules are called for. Magnus deserves a stubborn bodyguard!

Interesting facts I haven’t read before! Do you remember the source where it appears? I want to expand the dialogue introducing a few questions, any help will be appreciated!

Reiksguard: Our plans are to deploy two regiments of this troops (mounted and on foot respectively). As you said, they were not a Reiksguard but a Reikland Elector’s Guard. They were a knightly order? It would be interesting to know the exactly name, and the Grand Master who commanded it then.

Engineers and repeating guns: Is there background that assures a concentration of the engineers on Reikland before the war? Really it’s not a problem as we only will play an outriders unit and they are from a Reikland contingent.

The College of Engineering and the Imperial Gunnery School were created after the war by Magnus. According Lexicanum, Leonardo da Miragliano was its founder and first Chieft Engineer. May also we include him in the battle?

Then I assume there are not historical contradictions on include other engineer stuff:

Steam Tank: Leonardo’s main creation. The heraldry of the tanks can correspond to a province or are only releated to the engineers?

War Wagon: Thinking about not being mounted by engineers but handgunners. Same question about the colours.

Hellblaster: Non found an historical reference further that was an engineer Von Meinkopt’s invention

Hochland Long Rifle: Reliable source on Mordheim background appearece, centuries before. I imagine that a veteran shooter who has contacts and money could get it on that era.

Helmstorm Rocket Battery: I guess we can manage to justify its appearance as a bizarre war machine, even not enrolled on the empire army but from a mercenary contingent. There will be an appreciable presence of Dogs of War on the Magnus side - approximately 150 infantry ones, regiments of light and heavy cavalry, and galloper guns. Also we will field a few Halflings and hot pots as part of the Averland troops, and ogres as Rogers Kul mentioned.

The inferno magazine article has a bunch more names for heroes and units. Consider using the ones that don't contradict the newer version, e.g. Haszteech, Chaos champion, charged in at the head of his dark knights or Aylmar Benjakson’s band of Dwarfish Longbeards, from Karaz-A-Karak, help defend the city.

Do you remember the Inferno’s issue where the Great War was mentioned? May it’s a long shot but it would be superb to get any reference to the contemporaries Elector Counts and the Magnus’s Battle Standard Bearer. We plan to organize the empire army on contigents from as many provinces and City States as we be able, If we know more details it would be exciting.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:40:35 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »
Reiksguard: Our plans are to deploy two regiments of this troops (mounted and on foot respectively). As you said, they were not a Reiksguard but a Reikland Elector’s Guard. They were a knightly order? It would be interesting to know the exactly name, and the Grand Master who commanded it then.

Being that the Reikland Electors personal cavalry were known as the Reikland Guard at the time of Hel Fenn (mid 2100's) it is probably the suitable name to use for such a unit at the time of the Great War.

Engineers and repeating guns: Is there background that assures a concentration of the engineers on Reikland before the war? Really it’s not a problem as we only will play an outriders unit and they are from a Reikland contingent.

The College of Engineering and the Imperial Gunnery School were created after the war by Magnus. According Lexicanum, Leonardo da Miragliano was its founder and first Chieft Engineer. May also we include him in the battle?

The Engineers College in Altdorf was founded during the early stages of the Vampire Wars with the Count of the Reikland as its patron and Leonardo as its first head engineer and the Imperial Gunnery School of Nuln founded in the early 2200's by the Count of Wissenland, then sitting presumably as the Sigmarite backed 'Emperor'. Dates for both of these can be contradicted quite often and it doesn't help that many GW fluff writers confuse the two separate chartered entities as a single one.  These as correct a dates as I believe are available.

Thus many of the fancy war engines and guns of the Engineers College would not have gone far from the Reikland by the time of the Great War. Cannons however would be found in the armies of all the Electors as though Nuln became the largest producer of artillery in the post war era most rival Emperor maintained their own arsenals producing pieces from them. Nuln was only the marked exception in that it was made with the blessing of the Dwarf Engineers Guild:

From my Guide to the Empire
   It was only in the twenty-second century in which the first combination of foundry and gunner school was opened in Nuln. The preexisting arms industry in Nuln along with its large Dwarf population made it the ideal site for such a venture. The arrangement was further solidified through a substantial donation to the Dwarven Engineers Guild, which up until this point had clamored for redress at the illegal Imperial ‘reproduction’ of Dwarven technology. The Count of Wissenland, at the time acting as the ‘Sigmarite’ Emperor, nearly bankrupted the state in order to pay for the enormous costs of expanding Nuln’s foundries, building the School’s facilities, and paying the hefty sum demanded by the Dwarfs but once paid for, the financiers of the venture reaped profits often in excess of three times they had invested in a little over a decade.

Steam Tank: Leonardo’s main creation. The heraldry of the tanks can correspond to a province or are only releated to the engineers?

I do believe if you can track down the old Steam Tank Journal deal, it was part of the GW website that might be recovered via Wayback machine, several Steam Tanks had the Great War listed as one of their battle honors. They are not tied to provinces though at the time of the Great War would be under the Engineers College in services to the Counts of Reikland.

War Wagon: Thinking about not being mounted by engineers but handgunners. Same question about the colours.
Same as the Steam Tanks above, College/Altdorf/Reikland liveries would be most likely. Though of course as Kislev uses War Wagons still any sort might work if you just are putting handgunners in there. They were really only put as such for old Empire books as the crew were Engineers with experimental weapons.
Hellblaster: Non found an historical reference further that was an engineer Von Meinkopt’s invention
Von Meinkopt was Leonardo's greatest pupil at the Engineers college thus would have lived and died in the 2000's IC. Helblasters would have been in use during the Great War though true ones mainly again in the Reikland/Altdorf forces, similar other mulitbarrel artillery was most likely part of other Electors arsenals.
Hochland Long Rifle: Reliable source on Mordheim background appearece, centuries before. I imagine that a veteran shooter who has contacts and money could get it on that era.
The issue here is that the 'Hochland Longrifle' of the Imperial Engineers is not the Hochland Longrifle of Hochland/Mordheim. The Engineers version is the ridiculously calibered pallisade gun type deal of the minis which by the fluff was inspired by the hunting weapons made in Hochland. As no game rules truly differentiate the two it probably fine to spread out to non-Reikland types.

Helmstorm Rocket Battery: I guess we can manage to justify its appearance as a bizarre war machine, even not enrolled on the empire army but from a mercenary contingent. There will be an appreciable presence of Dogs of War on the Magnus side - approximately 150 infantry ones, regiments of light and heavy cavalry, and galloper guns. Also we will field a few Halflings and hot pots as part of the Averland troops, and ogres as Rogers Kul mentioned.

I loathe the Empire mini for it but have a Nippon Rocket crew myself if I ever choose to field it so as mercenaries is a perfectly reasonable way to include it.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Roger's brother-in-arms organising this battle. I have a few issues which I made a note a month ago, but couldn't publish before because of this forum registration process... finally! I got registered :-D

And many thanks mates, your contribution is so appreciated!

Do you remember the Inferno’s issue where the Great War was mentioned? May it’s a long shot but it would be superb to get any reference to the contemporaries Elector Counts and the Magnus’s Battle Standard Bearer. We plan to organize the empire army on contigents from as many provinces and City States as we be able, If we know more details it would be exciting.

Welcome on the forum!

Inferno! Magazine #6, The History of Bernhardt the Brave. If you can't get a hold of it, pm me. I don't recall information on Magnus and his army though, it's all from the point of view of the cavalry army that loops up to Praag and back. And, as mentioned it is quite contradictory to more modern sources.

As S.O.F stated the College of Engineer's was founded way before Magnus. I guess it is up to you to decide how far that technology has diffused through the Empire by 2300. But, I think a 'regular' war wagon with handgunners could come from any province, nothing 'high-tech' about it (and not to be confused with the Experimental Weapon platform of the 4th edition book)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Being that the Reikland Electors personal cavalry were known as the Reikland Guard at the time of Hel Fenn (mid 2100's) it is probably the suitable name to use for such a unit at the time of the Great War.

Then Reikland Guad, sounds good! I will make an appropriate leader for the mounted ones (also the Grand Master's rules would be suitable).

Your Guide to the Empire is absolutely stunning! Then I was mistaken about Leonardo. Many thanks for all the explanations, all the quotes about the experimental weapons, artillery and dates are very appreciable, I consider myself a veteran Empire general but there are that kind of details that I've never known until now.

Inferno! Magazine #6, The History of Bernhardt the Brave. If you can't get a hold of it, pm me. I don't recall information on Magnus and his army though, it's all from the point of view of the cavalry army that loops up to Praag and back. And, as mentioned it is quite contradictory to more modern sources.

As S.O.F stated the College of Engineer's was founded way before Magnus. I guess it is up to you to decide how far that technology has diffused through the Empire by 2300. But, I think a 'regular' war wagon with handgunners could come from any province, nothing 'high-tech' about it (and not to be confused with the Experimental Weapon platform of the 4th edition book)

I’ve get the Inferno! #6, quite interesting story, graphics and the style. For now we own only one war wagon but we plan to deploy another, I suppose we'll be carrying handgunners there!

Thank you again!

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
Hi generals,

I'm proud to present you the trailer I've made just to maintain our hype up for the battle. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMckUQSRVH4&feature=youtu.be

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 09:52:49 PM »
cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
I so love this. Any chance you could go into you first post and put the link to your painting blog.
In the distant past and I can't find mine, there was a GW supplement called Warhammer Characters. That my have some of the older ones.

And just as some more encouragement. Another world record. :biggriin:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167052-Battle-of-Zama-Depicted-in-26-000-Figure-Playmobil-Diorama#&gid=gallery_6108&pid=1

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
Of course it would be Zama. Either that or Cannae I guess.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »
I so love this. Any chance you could go into you first post and put the link to your painting blog.
In the distant past and I can't find mine, there was a GW supplement called Warhammer Characters. That my have some of the older ones.

Done!

Really? I never heard about it! I know about the supplement Warhammer Armies: Champions of Chaos; may be you refer to it? In that case, we got it!

Of course it would be Zama. Either that or Cannae I guess.

I saw an article some moths (a year?) ago about that collection. But I never liked playmobil; I played Lego.
And, for my personal feelings and academic matters, I prefer Cannas than Zama  :icon_wink:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 03:48:33 AM »
And, for my personal feelings and academic matters, I prefer Cannas than Zama  :icon_wink:

Same. Zama was forced, with not ideal troops. He was set up to lose at Zama.
I get that Scipio was brilliant, but he was young and able to learn the lessons Hannibal put out in front of him. Without Hannibal, there would be no Scipio. And Scipio suffered in the same way Hannibal did by the city he servied.

Hannibal he was left to lose in Rome because the Carthaginean Republic did not want Hannibal to return as the conquering hero and rule for life due to his popularity. Interesting that Caesar later went on to attempt the same in Rome, with some success (dagger in back being the downside).

Interesting how right Thucydides was.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:52:48 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
I would be very disappointed if you didn't play this at least once during the event :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75zmIj_4LFQ

;)

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
This remind me of why I loved the old Warhammer world so much : it was full of badasses from our real history, in situations where they got to fight against real monsters.

Seriously, read the lyrics of the song, and tell me that it wouldn't fit perfectly Warhammer Old World with maybe one or two worlds changed :

When the Winged Hussars arrive

A cry for help in time of need await relief from Holy League
60 days of siege outnumbered and weak
Sent a message to the sky wounded soldiers left to die
Will they hold the wall or will the city fall

Dedication
Dedication
They're outnumbered 15 to one
And the battle's begun

And the Winged Hussars arrive
Coming down the mountainside
Let the Winged Hussars arrive
Coming down they turn the tide

As the days are passing by and as the dead are piling high
No escape and no salvation
Trenches to explosive halls are buried deep beneath the walls
Plant the charges there and watch the city fear

Desperation
Desperation
It's a desperate race against the mine
And a race against time

And the Winged Hussars arrive
Let the Winged Hussars arrive
Coming down they turn the tide

Cannonballs are coming down from the sky
Janissaries are you ready to die
We will seek our vengeance eye for an eye

You'll be stopped upon the steps of our gate
On this field you're only facing our hate
But back home the sultan's sealing your fate

We remember
In September
That's the night Vienna was freed
We made the enemies bleed

And the Winged Hussars arrived!
(Storm clouds fire and steel
Death from above made the enemy kneel)
(Fighting power and grace
Death from above it's an army of wings)
Then the Winged Hussars arrived
(Storm clouds fire and steel
Death from above made the enemy kneel)
Coming down they turned the tide
(Fighting power and grace
Death from above it's an army of wings) [X2]

We remember
In September
When the Winged Hussars arrived

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Gotta love sabaton! Our historical heavy metal crusade! Lots of great videos out there.
I really like Uprising (Warsaw uprising in 1944)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:49:32 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Of couuuuuuuurse!! we will!!  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Sabaton is one of the favourite groups for, at least, two of us!
In fact, we are working now on kislevites. Within two days I hope to upload some pics about them, so stay tuned to our post in "The brush and the palette"

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Hey comrades,

I know many of you follow the topic on "the Brush and Palette" ( http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=51466.725 ) but for those who don't, let me announce this. I think is more appropiate to say it also here:

Will be impossible to cover the entire event on streaming, but I will make some online connections via Instagram on the my own account rogers_miniatures