home

Author Topic: We're Back!  (Read 10680 times)

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
We're Back!
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
Hello all!

As many of you are no doubt aware Warhammer-Empire has been experiancing vairous degrees of downtime for the last couple of days. These problems are fixed and it should be smooth sailing ahead!

Basically what we've done is move to a new host that should be able to accommodate the site much better than the old one. It is unfortunate that the transfer took this long, in ideal conditions this sort of thing could be done over the course of an afternoon, but unfortunately there were several setbacks along the way that led the prolonged downtime.

Our new host is Devoted Hosting. And I have to say that so far they have been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Also please check out the new Warhammer-Empire IRC chat channel! It was of great help during the downtime and hopefully will continue to be a great addition to the site.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: We're Back!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
A few notes:

-The Wiki isn't working right now, I will be soon. FIXED

-There seems to be an issue where the forum will forget that you are logged in. This is probably a cookie issue. I will get it fixed ASAP but for the time being it should be manageable.
FIXED!

-The BETA theme is now the default theme. It still isn't 100% done but is good enough to use. If you find any bugs/errors in it please post them in the Town Square.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:53:59 AM by Calvin »
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »
I like the new theme, and I very much appreciate the work of you guys to provide us with this fine forum. Cheers! Have one on Mid... MY tab. No time to be stingy.
 :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
I heap thanks upon you for getting everything up and running again. My feeling of panic is subsiding now, though the shock seems to have given me a terrible cold.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »
Calvin, we need your address. Every, send a 6-pack.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
As tempting as that is I don't think I could take you up on that. However if I meet any of you guys in person you're welcome to buy me a drink (or five).  :biggriin:

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
Thanks for getting the site up and running again! I wouldn't know a better place on the internet to waste my precious lifetime on. Somehow the other race's forums just don't cut it for me.

So once more: Thanks!  :biggriin:

Castozor

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
As tempting as that is I don't think I could take you up on that. However if I meet any of you guys in person you're welcome to buy me a drink (or five).  :biggriin:

Indeed!

Thanks Calvin for all that tech stuff, and thanks Grutch for keeping us hosted! You guys are great. :::cheers:::

Edit: Nice artwork, too!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:44:28 PM by Gneisenau »

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
I knew you could do it! :eusa_clap:

The new banner is AWESOME. Did you make it Grutch? I presume you did, since one of them is your avatar.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Dunrik

• Members
  • Alexander von Wolfenberg
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
Huzzah! We are back on track. Thanks a bunch Calvin! :::cheers:::
RIP Rufas/Ironmonger

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks."
Napoleon Bonaparte

My blog, http://wolfenbergtimes.blogspot.com/

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
I knew you could do it! :eusa_clap:

The new banner is AWESOME. Did you make it Grutch? I presume you did, since one of them is your avatar.
I think the right half may be phil's work, but I'm not sure. (edit:, he didn't)

In any case: THANK YOU CALVIN! (yes, the shouting was necessary. If I meet you, I'll definitely buy you a drink.

I must admit, the last few days have been a weird experience, especially as I had a couple of fays off and a lot of time to kill :eusa_wall:.

Thanks again Calvin (and I suspect, maybe Bugman too?)!  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:58:19 PM by Obi »
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »
Good to be back. MY Internet habits have felt strange and out of sync the last couple of days.  :oops: Many thanks to the staff  :-)
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 12:56:48 AM »
As a guy who spends most of his days <sigh> making sure the network is up and running, I UNDERSTAND the delays, and am very happy to see the sight up and running again. Sigmar be praised! :biggriin:
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 12:59:33 AM »
Good to be back! I really like this new theme! Good job.  :eusa_clap:

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 04:11:21 AM »
HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh what the hell a couple more !!
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 05:06:07 AM »
Love the new banner and theme, the colour scheme is brilliant.

One thing, though... (as the exclamation laden post above this one so helpfully demonstrates  :icon_wink: ), the new forum isn't liking long strings of text or large images... lots of sidescrolling and frames breaking and other weirdness going on.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »
Welcome back folks!

It was good to have the chat room available during the down time because it kind of kept us connected even though the forum area wasn't available.

I like the new banner area at the top!

:::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
I also like the fact that my avatar is now presiding regally over the forum whenever I am logged in. It lends a certain class to the look of the page.  :-D

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
Yeah, the new avatar-thingie is pretty cool. Altough I couldn't connect to the chat-channel for some reason.  :|

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
Wahoo!

This is looking REAL good! Well done, Calvin!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
How sweet to come back from a weekend of SCA-style medieval banquet and college event and find the site up and running! Makes my heart warm!
 :::cheers:::
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »
You'll all be happy to hear my withdrawal symptoms are dying down now.

Well done getting it up and running!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Difficulties Posting
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »
Hello

I've been trying to add another installment to my 'All that Glistens' thread but am having difficulties I have never had before. First I tried breaking up the post because I thought maybe it was too long. This worked as the first half went up. But I cannot get the second part to post. Frustrating.

Does anyone know (a) why and (b) what I should do?

[Edit] It worked the fifth time I tried. Sorry. Ignore this. Stop reading now. There really is no point in reading this post any more.

Hmm. Now that no-one's reading, I suppose this is a bit like a personal diary? Which means I can write just what I like and it would be entirely private.

Hang on - you're still reading! How rude!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:18:11 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
It's all good. When I say all, I mean apart from some minor troubles with big posts (i.e. it can't handle them like it used to) and (I think I know the reason for this) some disappearing posts - of the kind that are a bit rubbish and pointless and admit to being so. Thanks whoever removed it, but my point re: some difficulties posting stands. Other forums have done that to me before, but this one, my spiritual home, has never before.

This is NOT a complaint. Just a logging of a problem encountered (like MS likes to do) so that if it happens to others you are aware of the numbers involved.