home

Author Topic: Maximilian Hartmann and the Hammers of Sigmar  (Read 1217 times)

Offline ekilday

• Members
  • Hi
Maximilian Hartmann and the Hammers of Sigmar
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
I have created a persona, Maximilian Hartmann, to lead my empire army I call, The Hammers of Sigmar.  So far this army has massacred a dwarf army, been massacred by goblins, achieved a marginal victory in the first mega battle at the headless badger, and achieved a draw in the mega battle on the 7th of July.  The one battle I’m troubled about is the one lost against the goblins.  My opponent used three shamans against me and destroyed me by casting the foot of Gork three times in each of his magic phases.  This combined with his fanatics prevented any actual combat from taking place.  Let me tell you what I had in my army and if you have the time give me some assistance.  My lord was a general of the empire.  Aiding him I had three heroes: a battle standard bearer, a priest, and a 2nd level wizard.  These mighty leaders led 19 spearmen, 10 hand gunners, 20 great swords, 20 flagellants, one unit of 10 knights with lances, one unit of inner circle knights with great weapons, and 5 mounted crossbowmen.  In support of these noble troops was a cannon and helblaster.  They fought a flank attack battle against the goblins.  The goblins came in on the table edge that was the farthest from them.  This combined with the spells and fanatics destroyed them before they could get within grips of the goblins.  What can I do to aid me when in a situation like this battle? 
Edward Kilday
General of Sigmar

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
Re: Maximilian Hartmann and the Hammers of Sigmar
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:39 AM »
First, split the 10-strong knights into two units of five.  Speed is your friend.

He should have a hard time getting Foot of Gork on every shaman.  That said, slap your wizard with two dispel scrolls and give the IC knights the Standard of Arcane Warding.  Third, trade the General for an Arch Lector: same Ld, 2 dispel dice.  Split the handgunners into two detachments (one for each block of foot troops).  Split the Flagellants into two units, too. 

Tactically - use the knights to charge his shamans.  If they're in a unit, just charge the unit head on.  Allocate every attack you can to the shaman; hopefully, he dies.  You lose combat, run, and (hopefully) outrun the gobbos.  Use the mounted x-bows as a sacrifice to draw out the flagellants from as many units as possible - as quickly as possible.  The sooner you draw them out, the more likely they crash through their own ranks instead of your infantry.  If the shamans are free-floating, snipe them with the cannon or use the x-bows (whom I'd assume are fast cav) to maneuver around and pick them off.  Concentrate on everything EXCEPT his blocks of troops - those you can finish off with combined infantry/cav charges at the end.

Best of luck. 
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Father Gabe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:12:05 AM »
I have to agree here.  At one point I used only Empire General, but after discussions on the forums, I tried the Arch Lector with great success!  I hate scroll caddies, but they are necessary so get that wizard some scrolls.  With what you got already you will have 6 dispel dice total and 2 dispel scrolls to stop those spells.

I would "attach" 10 flagellants to the 19 spearmen and 10 to the greatswords.  Splitting up this way will allow them to draw out the fanatics (if any) and give your opponent something to think about as know one wants unbreakable, frenzied units nearby.  I would keep the handgunners on a hill or such and combine their fire with the cannon and helblaster at one unit per turn, especially if they have a shaman or hero.  This could be seen as a waste, but when your units face units wittled down by artillery and rifles they will have an easier time, and hopefully with combined fire you can panic a unit per turn.

Have that unit of 10 knights break up into 2 groups of 5.  one will support the inner circle and the other will be supported by the mounted xbows.  These can easily guard your flanks and allow rapid strikes into the center where your foot troops are.

The rest of your units should stay close to support each other if need be.  Most important is to keep those flagellants in front of the spearmen and greatswords, they cant take a hit from fanatics, but at least they wont panic and run, and hopefully take the little jerks down.
Father Gabriel
Mordhiem Host, Helstrom's 4th
Bearer of the Crimson Ribbon,  The Eagle of Martin Stirland, Rainer's Mantle of Iron, Bleucher's Exalted Commendation, Keeper of the Scroll of Ludendorf

Offline ekilday

• Members
  • Hi
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:09:44 AM »
These are some great suggestions.  I will create a list that is good against magic led by an Arch Lector.  I did not think about it but splitting up the knights into two units will make me more maneuverable and splitting the flagellants will give me two unbreakable units.  Using the hand gunners, as detachments will help the infantry.  Thanks for the advice.
Edward Kilday
General of Sigmar