home

Author Topic: engineer drill masters  (Read 4425 times)

Offline sollandprince

• Members
  • ice climbers forever
engineer drill masters
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »
i think that engineers should be the leaders of the gunnery age. as such, i think that the army's handgunners, pistoliers and outriders should benefit from the number of engineers in an army. the engineers take time before battle to train these units extra hard with black powder weapons. the more engineers, the more benefits the army can get. something along these lines...

1 engineer- all handgunner units are armed with bayonets (+1 strength in combat), captains can be given weapons from the engineer's guild (hochland long rifel, ect.)

2 engineers- black powder units no longer suffer the -1 penalty from stand and shoot

3 engineers- handgunners can move and fire. war machine crews are given a pair of pistols each.

4 engineers- all units equipped with black powder weapons have +1 to their ballistic skill.

10 engineers- great cannons and mortars can fire twice in the same turn as long as the fire at the same target with each shot.  all units equipped with black powder weapons can shoot twice  :-o as long as the don't move and fire at the same target.

i like this idea because it make the thought of an all engineer army not so bad. who needs magic and awsome warriors when you've got an army that has a chance to blow everything out of the water!

any suggestions would be welcomed but id really like to see this in the next book
lets do the time warp again :-D

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
Re: engineer drill masters
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
Looks good go stick this into the "schola Bellator" section of  the engineers 8.0

thread. Probably have to have some kind of a points cost for this army buffing ability.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline T0m

• Members
  • Well hello...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »
all handgunner units are armed with bayonets (+1 strength in combat)
Holy Heldenhammer, I love that idea. *drooling on the idea of a bayonet charge* Don't think we need engineers to do that, though.  :mellow:

You could have a wacky chart for each Engineer on the field (re-rolling if you get the same result for multiple Engineers), rolling before the start of the battle. :icon_mrgreen: Along the lines of:

1. von Blovnapart's Punchy Battle Powder
The Engineer has provided the whole army with his own personal gunpowder mix, making the weapons louder and giving them longer range, but also making them a little more prone to misfire...
All gunpowder weapons gain +3" to their range. However, every time you roll for a Misfire for warmachines, giving -1 to the dice roll.
2-3. Thomas Todnichter's Entrenchments of Exquisite Evasion
The Engineer chose to set up fortifications for the army's missile troops just before the battle commences, giving them effective cover.
You may place D3 barricades (hard cover) anywhere in your deployment zone.
4-5. Dieter Mauser's Magnificent Shooting Ground of Expert Advice
The Engineer has taken one regiment of missile units under his tutelage and taught them to perfect the art of firing gunpowder weapons.
Nominate one unit of either Handgunners, Pistoliers or Outriders. The unit gains +1 to their Ballistic skill.
6. Plain genious
The Engineer is a true genious of his field. He has personally led the manufacture of the gunpowder weapons in the army, and the enemy shall feel his master craft in their hides!
All gunpowder weapons in the army are now Move and Fire and all Artillery Misfire rolls gain a modifier of +1.

:happy:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:00:59 AM by T0m »
Vivat Imperator in aeternum!

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
Sadly I'm not a fan of this idea. I feel it could move the Empire army to two extremes of either not having any Engineers to having exclusively Engineers t get the buffs.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
Simple, just price them up and say before the battle roll once on the chart no matter how many engineers there are on the field.
The number you roll cannot be modified by anything.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »
Sorry, i like the general concept of engineers affecting gun troops, but this idea is overpowered, especially as it mostly stimulates the use of handgunners and gunlines.

I'd take 2 engineers, 2 captains, lots of handgunners, two cannons and two units of pistoliers. That will give me about 8 HLR shots every turn. Combined with the regular shooting.... No.

Engineers are actually pretty good already. Take 2 with pidgeon bombs, two helstorms and 4 mortars. Enjoy the fireworks!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra