home

Author Topic: The Honourable Free City of Marienburg  (Read 12585 times)

Offline Jape

• Members
The Honourable Free City of Marienburg
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
Ah the filth ridden canals of Marienburg - the corruption, the crime, the endless booty!  :happy:

As part of my tentative steps towards returning to WHFB, I'm tempted by a Marienburg themed army. I was wondering if any had done so and their experiences.

Also any links to fluff would be much appreciated ladies and gentlemen. I need fluff for my armies like crackers need cheese.

When I was last around in 6th edition, the army book had rules for a Marienburger/mercenary Empire army. Have these remained in 7th. Actually whens the 8th book coming out for that matter. Hmm.
Of the Margraves of Graumark - The Rise & Fall of Karl von Steinburg

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: The Honourable Free City of Marienburg
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
ZeroTwentyThree has a large Marienburg army. (click that) There will most likely also be a lot of information on the website of our previous online campaign, Crisis in Marienburg.

I think rufus sparkfire, S.O.F. and zerotwentythree should be able to help you out further!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Jape

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
Thank you very much Mr. Kenobi, looks all very swell.
Of the Margraves of Graumark - The Rise & Fall of Karl von Steinburg

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:07 PM »
You're welcome.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
Well if your looking for background on Marienburg your best bet is to track down a copy of Marienburg: Sold Down the River the WHFRP 1 guide to the city. A bit anachronistic these days, a good portion of it is still perfectly viable background.

Or if you have any questions in particular I'm certain a background nerd won't mind answering :icon_wink:
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Davey

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
I'm also getting to grips with a Marienburg list - it's great fun and you can easily justify proxy elves, ogres, halflings...

'Sold Down the River' is without doubt the best resource.

pinkyjee

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:36:52 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

shockme

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:32 AM »
When I was last around in 6th edition, the army book had rules for a Marienburger/mercenary Empire army. Have these remained in 7th. Actually whens the 8th book coming out for that matter. Hmm.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
No Marienburg list in 7th. They got rid of all the "back of the book lists" in 7th and 8th. Rumor has it the Empire 8th ed. book is coming up in 2012.

In the meantime, you can proxy other figures into a vanilla Empire list to make it look more "Marienburg." Examples: use pikemen figures for spearmen, use mercenary heavy cav for knights, use ogres as unit fillers in human infantry units, etc.

Sold Down The River is, unfortunately, hard to get.

Offline Manann

• Members
  • Agent of the Fog Walkers
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »
Hey all, I am also in the process of started my Marienburg themed Empire army. Does anyone know if you can get a pdf. or something of the alternate list from the 6th ed book?

In any case I plan on using the empire rules and just proxying rather than using an out of date list, I just wanted to get the flavour of the old list.

I saw in another post that the Knightly order for Marienburg is the Knights Mariners. Does anyone know where this comes from?

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:19:59 AM by Manann »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
Off the top of my head there is a bit about them in WHFRP 2nd Tome of Salvation but mainly in the sense that they are the order that replaced the better described Sons of Manaan.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Manann

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
Thanks SOF. I'll have to keep an eye open for the Tomb (although looking online, its pretty pricey). I managed to borrow a copy of Sold Down the River and what a fantastic resource that is. I might have to try and convert some Black Caps onto a unit as the city watch.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
For a Marienberg themed army, think what Marienberg is, a giant trading city with a huge maritime presence - given that I'd think along the lines of:

No Knights
No Arch Lector/Warrior Priests (maybe ones of Manaan)

Handgunners (Sailors)
Swordsmen (Marines)
Militia (City Miltia)

Spearmen & Halberdiers (City Guards)
Pistoleers (Roadwardens)

Lots of artillery. Lots.
Plenty of Wizards.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Manann

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines, however since Marienburg has a named order of Knights I will probably be taking some. 

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
What knightly order would that be?

Anyways, I´m in beginning of creating a Marienburger army as well. The original plan might be altered by the new book and its suckiness, but there is a great fanmade DOW-list to be found on http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/index.php. It might need some tinkering, but I think it will work well.

My vision is a optimistic and progressive citystate army, as contrast to the doom and grime of the Sigmarite Empire. More Leonardo da vinci- style technology than Steampunk and strange monsters.
I´m thinking Gamezone Halberdiers, Pistoliers and artillery, Artizan Pikemen and Greatswords, Pirazzos lost legion as Halberds/pike. These units will include some dwarfs, ogres and goblins for increased xenophilia. Perry infantry will serve as detachments and missile troops, and their knights as....well, knights.
Aventine Elephants (bought from Araby) might fill in for Demigriffons. Flying heroes will be given air balloons and stuff; scratchbuilt probably.

Do not expect pics in a while though, I´m a slow painter.

Offline Manann

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:17 AM »
Sounds like a really fun army. I also  thought about adding a few Dwarfs and Halfling into some state troop units to add a little more multiculturalness to the army. I like your alternative to the demigriff riders and again I think I might add an Araby rider or two into a unit of knights just to represent the Araby trading families living in the city. 

The order in Marienburg are the Knights Mariner.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I am a slow painter (and not a very one) and don't have the cash right now to buy vast amounts of models. So its going to be a slow build. I'm focusing right now on getting some conversions going for the warrior priests of Manann.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
Sounds like a really fun army. I also  thought about adding a few Dwarfs and Halfling into some state troop units to add a little more multiculturalness to the army. I like your alternative to the demigriff riders and again I think I might add an Araby rider or two into a unit of knights just to represent the Araby trading families living in the city. 

The order in Marienburg are the Knights Mariner.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I am a slow painter (and not a very one) and don't have the cash right now to buy vast amounts of models. So its going to be a slow build. I'm focusing right now on getting some conversions going for the warrior priests of Manann.

Yeah, there are some great renaissance dwarf/goblin/orc minis out there, WK:s and Foundrys for example. Araby knights would be cool. Maybe one or two Perry knights could be sculpted with a kufiya....

There is a odd Sea Priest of Dagon at Reaper Miniatures that would be good Manann prist btw. Go check it out.

Offline Manann

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
I really love the helmet, I am very tempted to get one. Thanks for the tip.

I wish I had sculpting skills so I could model my own stuff. Do you of any model kits that have trident parts? I dread trying to make one out of green stuff.

Cheers

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »
If memory serves me right, The Assault Group has some tridents. Check it out. Listed under Asian weapons.  http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=357&cat=31&page=2

Offline Manann

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
Nice, going to have to order some.  That makes that part of the conversions much easier.

Thanks