home

Author Topic: Simple Green  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Simple Green
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
I have managed to acquire some Simple Green  :icon_lol:

The UK distributor used to be down in the depths of the West Country, but now it has now changed hands and moved to here in Sussex - well the office is, not sure where the warehouse is?
Purchasing is tricky as they only seem to sell in huge containers, but I talked nicely to the boss man and he got me a 1 litre sample bottle, a small 100ml sample of Simple Green 'Extreme', and a tube of hand cleaner gel!

However he did say that my 1 Litre bottle was 2016 stock, and that the Americans had changed the formula last year - weakened it in some way.
Anyone pondside noticed any difference??

So opinions and advice needed?

I have some plastics and some metals I wish to strip - can I safely soak both in the same tub?

How long does it usually take for the SG to work?

Do models need a lot of scrubbing with a toothbrush - and is it easier the longer I let figures soak?

Is there a finite number of times you can use the SG - does it's strength fade with time, usage or per number of models?

My normal practise has been to use heavy duty paint stripper on metal figures, which works well but is pricey, and not to buy painted plastics.
However I have a fair number of figures I would like to strip if it is not too long winded.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Simple Green
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
Interested to see how this goes. I've successfully stripped plastic minis using Dettol, but it's a very messy process, so I hope this is easier! ;)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »
Which chemical is doing the job in Simple Green?

I'm right now in the finishing stages of a plastic paint stripping job using a locally sold brush cleaner liquid, a mix of hydrocarbons (something like C8 to C11 IIRC). If Simple Green uses the same, my experience might be of some use to you.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
I've used it in the past. generally works like a charm on acrylics, not so much on enamel. I think it also has a harder time if miniatures are varnished pretty thickly but not sure there. I've just had some miniatures that were much harder to strip and I assume that was the reason.

I have some plastics and some metals I wish to strip - can I safely soak both in the same tub?
yes

How long does it usually take for the SG to work?
depends quite a bit on the paint job. I would say days to weeks. longer is always better.

Do models need a lot of scrubbing with a toothbrush - and is it easier the longer I let figures soak?
metals are easy, a light scrub will do. plastic needs much more scrubbing. but, yes, the longer you soak the less elbow grease you will need. note that it will also take apart superglued things

Is there a finite number of times you can use the SG - does it's strength fade with time, usage or per number of models?
I've used the same tub for months and didn't notice a difference, it will get gunky and disgusting though.

My normal practise has been to use heavy duty paint stripper on metal figures, which works well but is pricey, and not to buy painted plastics.
However I have a fair number of figures I would like to strip if it is not too long winded.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »
The new formula is terrible, barely works anymore. I think they actually started changing the formula further back then 2016. They had to change the formula to keep their "environmentally friendly" tag.

If you have the old formula then just soak the miniatures (plastic or metal) over night and the paint should start sluffing off and a little tooth brush scrubbing will clean it up. If it's the new formula you'll need some dish soap and a lot of elbow grease.

I've switched to the weirdly named "LA's Totally Awesome" available at my local .99 cent store. A dollar a gallon and it works better then the old Simple Green formula.
http://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2017/10/las-totally-awesome-follow-up.html?m=1
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:52:53 AM by orcyboy »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
Thanks orcyboy

I suspect the environmental pressures are worse over here with the EU regulations.
Do you have the 'Extreme' version available in the USA - is it better?

It looks like the same problem then - I doubt the LA stuff is available over here - I'll look.

In the meantime I'll try a soak of some plastics in a small tub and see what happens.

@Konrad

I have no idea of the chemicals involved - and guess a 'recipe' would be kept obscured.
It is termed a "Concentrated cleaner and degreaser" and I have tried UK available 'degreasers' - usually pink for some reason - in the past with no success.

Edit:  Bang - quick google and it seems to be available from several sites and under £10.00
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:26:39 AM by Midaski »
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Legally, there has to be a safety data sheet (SDS) which declares the presence and approximate amount of any hazardous ingredients, so you should be able to Google it. They mostly contain an alcohol base (which helps with grease and bacteria, I guess) and then something complicated sounding and organic which does the real work. I did look up the content of Dettol once to see if I could make my own formula but the active ingredient was so expensive it didn't seem worthwhile...

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 07:54:52 PM »
Thanks orcyboy

I suspect the environmental pressures are worse over here with the EU regulations.
Do you have the 'Extreme' version available in the USA - is it better?

It looks like the same problem then - I doubt the LA stuff is available over here - I'll look.

In the meantime I'll try a soak of some plastics in a small tub and see what happens.

Sounds like the chemical removed in 2013/14 was "2-butoxyethanol (EGBE)" if that means anything to anybody but I still think the formula was first dumbed down closer to 2010.
As far as the "Extreme" version I haven't noticed it on the shelves around here.  I'll keep an eye out for it but I'd be suspicious about its effectiveness. Simple Green is a Commiefornia based company (in my home town no less) that markets its products as "environmentally friendly" so I'd be suspicious of the effectiveness of anything it produces these days.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
Thats disappointing. I'm still using a batch that I've had for at least a few years. It's statting to get pretty dirty, so eventually I'll need a replacement.

I've heard some people here in the US swear by a specific commercial version of one of the houshold brands, but I can't remember what it is. (Dawn? I'll have to ask.)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »
The new formula is terrible, barely works anymore. I think they actually started changing the formula further back then 2016. They had to change the formula to keep their "environmentally friendly" tag.

If you have the old formula then just soak the miniatures (plastic or metal) over night and the paint should start sluffing off and a little tooth brush scrubbing will clean it up. If it's the new formula you'll need some dish soap and a lot of elbow grease.

I've switched to the weirdly named "LA's Totally Awesome" available at my local .99 cent store. A dollar a gallon and it works better then the old Simple Green formula.
http://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2017/10/las-totally-awesome-follow-up.html?m=1

Agree. My first batch of simple green was very effective way back when, and nowadays it takes extra scrubbing with a toothbrush to get anywhere.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.