home

Author Topic: WK's Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 37221 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 11/08)
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
It makes sense, I reckon the Cobra BATS were introduced in the GI Joe cartoon for the same reason, so the heroes could shoot them up without it costing any lives.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
^
Yeah. I read somewhere [several years ago] that the writers and animaters loved using the B.A.T.S as they didn't have to parachute to safety like everyone else.
Larry Hama was opposed to the 'jumping to safety' that was frequently seen on the old G.I.JOE cartoon as he felt the higher ups were 'morally bankrupt'. I guess it was done as Hasbro didn't want 'product' being destroyed [unless it was discontinued] and censorship and parents groups were opposed to that level of violence.

Here's trivia; the Cobra B.A.T action figures chest detail is made from 1/72 Airfix jet parts. Come to think of it. A LOT of the old G.I.JOE toys have model kit bits on them.
My old B.A.T looks like it lost a fight with Snakeyes. Sorry. Did I go on a tangent?   

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
Sorry. Did I go on a tangent?

Possibly, though to show I don't mind, here are my 28mm B.A.T. figures.   :icon_twisted:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
WHAT!?!?! cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:55 PM »
PM me if you need to know more.  :engel:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2018, 02:16:41 AM »
^ Just remember knowing is half the battle

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
I like that upgraded version of He-Man. Now he sports a fancy battle axe!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 15/08)
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
Heroic Warriors - He-Man on Battlecat

As if He-Man and Battlecat weren't impressive enough on their own, the sight of He-Man riding on Battlecat's back is enough to strike terror in the hearts of the denizens of evil. The riding he-Man is a conversion of the Quest Miniatures He-Man, I cut off and reposed one leg and bent the other one slightly, some putty to cover the gap. Battlecat is of course another copy of the OOP Grenadier model. The base is a lipped base blank by Fenris Games and the tile texture was added with putty.

Foot and mounted version together

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 15/08)
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34:50 PM »
Those B.A.T. are awesome!
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 16/08)
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Gender-swapped He-Man on Battlecat

A while ago I converted a Hasslefree Daphne figure into a gender-swapped version of He-Man. The idea being that He-Man (or Prince Adam) was temporarily turned into a young girl through some ancient artefact or magic spell (possibly one of Orko's spells gone wrong). This is the mounted version of that character. I'll leave it up to you to imagine whether Battlecat also had a sex change or not if you're into that kind of thing.

Mounted and Unmounted version

I used the same base figure for the mounted version, with reposed legs and the addition of fur panties and boots and a swap for another spare Quest Miniatures power sword. Battlecat is yet another of the Grenadier OOP Battlecats, which I've collected over the years. The base is a blank lipped base from Fenris (the closest match I could find to the large Battlecat mini), with added tile texture with putty.

Fighting Skeletor's minions

All my (good) He-Man versions so far...

Battlecat(s)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 25/08)
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Anti-Eternians - Anti-Man-At-Arms in Windraider

One of the elements in the original Anti-Eternia audioplay is that Anti-Man-At-Arms comes flying in in a windraider. Now I had converted a Quest Miniatures Man-At-Arms to fit into the old Grenadier windraider, but I didn't feel like doing yet another flying Man-At-Arms so soon after the skysled version. So in an unexpected turn of event, I ended up painting an Anti-Eternia windraider before doing a regular one. The Grenadier model is based on the toy version, so it's a one-person aircraft, unlike the Filmation cartoon 4-seater. All in all, the Quest Miniatures models work well enough with the much older model. I cut off about 3/4 of the legs for this one. There is no official colour design for the Anti-Eternia windraider, so I went with what seemed to make sense to carry on the theme.

Anti-Eternia Windraider

With the foot version of the same character

He-Man tries to use his shield to deflect Anti-Man-At-Arms' laserbeam

Death from above! Castle Grayskull under attack. Man-At-Arms takes to the skies in his skysled.

Men-At-Arms's battling in the sky!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 25/08)
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »
I found one of those ultra-buff Luke Skywalker toys from the mid 90's. I'm going to repaint him in Prince Adam colours and repaint the jet-thingy he came with in Wingraider colours for a friend :biggriin:

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 30/09)
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Evil Horde - Hordak

Hordak is the evil tyrant ruling Etheria and main villain opposing She-Ra with his Evil Horde. Skeletor's erstwhile mentor, they are now bitter enemies and while temporary alliances are not unheard off, they invariably end in betrayal on one end or the other, usually both. He has the ability to transform his arms into a variety of mechanical weapons, the most famous being a cannon arm.

The model is a resin figure part of a limited release private commission and sculpted by the talented Boris Woloszyn. The pictures make the colours out to be slightly more dull than reality. The action shot with Slime Monster He-Man and Skeletor is a closer representation of the colours. The base texture was sculpted in putty over a plastic lipped base and painted in red as my default colour for Horde characters.

Hordak sending off a slime possessed He-Man to take out Skeletor once and for all...:

A closer look at the head:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:07 AM »
You should see my old Hordak; the chrome is gone from his chest and the mechanism in his gun arm is beyond repair

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »
They are looking awesome. Now just to line He Man and friends up to lead an Empire army against the monster horde of Skeletor.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »
Several years ago [either 18 or 19, not quite 20] I bought a little set of Citadel adventure heroes. Some kids I was baby sitting at the name asked me about them and I said something along the line of 'The Wizard is Merlin, the short guy with big feet is Bilbo; the hobbit and the barbarian is He-man'
The kids then said something along the line of "What's He-man, what's a Bilbo?" and went back to their pokemon games

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
As usual the Anti-Eternians look so much cooler. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Horde troopers (update 26/05)
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Evil Horde - Horde Troopers
If Hordak has been able to conquer Etheria it is largely thanks to his vast army of robotic Horde troopers. Mindless machines, they don't tire and know mercy nor remorse.

I can't believe it's been 8 months since I was able to paint something new for this project and it shows. The painting skills are a bit rusty and my brushed were running on their last legs, so as a result, I'm not overly happy with how they came out, which is not to blame on the models as they are spot on. Hopefully, now that the painting muscles have been stretched, and with the help of some new brushes to be bought, the next ones will be better.

Hordak and some of his Horde troopers

Hordak is backed up by his troopers, but He-Man and Battlecat know no fear.

The current tally of painted Horde miniatures

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
beautiful  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »
Keep up the good work :eusa_clap:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »
Thanks! I've got more coming.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »
I have missed this thread. Also, I don’t know what you mean about painting standard. I know how it feels, but looking at the models they look great.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Skelcons (update 30/05)
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »
Evil Warriors - Skelcon Footsoldiers
Introduced into MOTU continuity by the Ladybird books, the Skelcons are a race of horned demons who  worship the bones of their ancestors until a summoning spell, cast by Skeletor, brought them to Eternia. For obvious reasons, they view Skeletor as their god and serve as his soldiers, wearing skull masks and wielding weapons built from the bones of their dead.

Skelcon warriors

Ironically, I am both happy and unhappy with how they came out. I hesitated longly whether to paint their faces as bone mask, like the MOTUC toy, or in the same colour as their skin, like in the original Ladybird books. I went with the former for more contrast and I think it was a good call. I also wanted their skin tone to be different from Skeletor's, so went with a darker, greener blue. The resulting colourscheme looks great, I think, but ironically, now I sort of wish I did paint them in Skeletor's skintone, like the Ladybird version. The bases are my usual recipe of sculpted on flagstone texture, painted in purple as they are part of the Evil Warriors.

The diverging inspirations: MOTUC figures vs Ladybird book

Teela and Man-At-Arms are attacked by some Skelcons

Skeletor flanked by his new honour guard

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
I see why you are conflicted, but your colour palette is spot on on these guys. Fairly likely that the cartoon colour scheme will have been decided by printing costs as much as artistic merit?  :?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2019, 11:42:45 PM »
I had one of those Ladybird books. The plot involved a giant cephalopod :icon_redface: