home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 790797 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11475 on: January 25, 2020, 03:42:47 AM »
All I'll say, is that once the chaos chumps are defeated I'm really looking forward to bringing the Dwarven warmachine to the shores of Ulthuan. Maybe I'll stay awhile.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11476 on: January 25, 2020, 04:27:17 AM »
Chaos is such a joke now. They really need a buff campaign wise. Kislev can usually handle themselves.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11477 on: January 25, 2020, 07:06:27 AM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11478 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »
I find Chaos to be really weirdly unbalanced. Against most armies a single stack will rip through even multiple Alliance stacks. But the moment you get any kind of counters or armor piercing, Chaos just falls apart. Hellcanons are the real danger, but one I kill those with some gyropcopters I rarely lose more then 5 guys for the rest of the battle. And because they have no other range, a fleet of gyropcopters or bombers just lays waste to them for no losses.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11479 on: January 25, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
Yeah they really have no air defense. I used pegasus knights and the like with other armies to squash them before they can do much, if any damage.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11480 on: February 20, 2020, 02:51:19 PM »
Beat my second Mortal Empires campaign. This time as High Elves (Tyrion). I achieved the short and long campaign goals on the same turn. Yay! No joke, we imprisoned Malekith on the last turn and clinched the long and short campaign. He confederated Malus and I had to march across the entire map to get to him. While doing so the rest of my armies took the other necessary cities to get the long campaign achievement and I also made alliances with a few to get those cities as well. I took Malekith's last 5 settlements in the bottom right corner of the map and he was left by himself and a unit of corsairs. I killed them both in a hail of sisters of avalorn blue arrows. When the post battle report came up, it said that Malekith was captured and the other unit was wiped out. So in our victory, the Witch King returned to Ulthuan in chains.

― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11481 on: February 20, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »
Ha that's awesome. My dwarf campaign is likely bugged beyond fixing but I'm enjoying the battles so much I'm really still playing it. The dwarven crusade has landed on Ulthuan to help the last remaining High Elves fight off Malkeith. Only Cothique is left, and with only three small settlements, none provincial capitals.

King Belegar and two other stacks just captured Lothern to use as a home base, while Ungrim landed in the north to solo aim for the Altar of Khaine. The High King meanwhile has 5 other stacks and has landed up north and is starting to cut a path to the Dark Elves Capital itself. I forgot that most of the Dark Elf cities are actually fairly decent for climate so I'm actually settling them rather then burning everything down.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11482 on: February 21, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
I don't think I've ever managed to get past turn 50 without deciding I should've done X or Y instead and restarting.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11483 on: February 28, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
Tau DLC for Gladius: Relics of War is out.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11484 on: March 01, 2020, 03:03:14 PM »
Baldurs Gate 3 looks amazing and after how well Lirian did with Divinity I would say I am quite hyped.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11486 on: March 10, 2020, 11:24:12 PM »
Gladius? Tau?

Slitherine games 40k sort of Civ or Endless type game. Slitherine does some great strategy games if you have a love of old 90's style SSI titles (Panzer Corps is amazing if you grew up on Panzer/Allied/ and other General).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11487 on: March 15, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11488 on: April 03, 2020, 11:36:18 PM »
I picked up Mount and Blade 2. I've been watching some youtubers play it and it looks fun. Will have to wait until I have some time to play it though.  Its basically an alternate reality/fantasy RPG where you start with nothing and build a clan and further your influence until you take over the world.  There are basically 6 cultures currently in the game. Late Roman period (they are having a 3 way civil war), A Norman faction, a Viking faction, a Celtic faction, a Pre-Islamic Arab faction, and a Mongolian one. Each with their own styles, military, and pros/cons. You pick which one is your background and then just do what ever you want, kind of like skyrim.  You can join other factions, build an army, fight in wars, trade, etc. Its more like a Conan the Barbarian simulator game, building a kingdom from your own hands, but with less Hyborian age and more of this pseudo-dark ages. Magic and religion are non existent.  The graphics remind me of Skyrim/Oblivion. The over-world is like a land version of Sid Meier's Pirates. Oddly enough the "plot" that kicks off your story is similar to Sid Meier's Pirates' plot. It looks fun and is currently on early game access on steam. It just released but is very popular. I think its on sale right now for US$45 with an additional 10% off if you have one of the previous Mount and Blade games.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11489 on: April 04, 2020, 12:24:10 AM »
I'm not into video games.  Played some back 10 to 15 years ago, but not many.  That one looks interesting.  What does one need in order to play it?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11490 on: April 04, 2020, 02:37:47 AM »
Theres a site that will scan your computer and tell you if you can play a game. Not sure if I trust it so below are the specs I found:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-8100 / AMD Ryzen™ 3 1200
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 2GB / AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB
Storage: 60 GB available space
Additional Notes: Integrated GPUs require additional 2GB of system RAM. These estimates may change during final release.

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB / AMD Radeon™ RX 580
Storage: 60 GB available space
Additional Notes: These estimates may change during final release.

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11491 on: April 05, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
Playing Mount and Blade 2, I went Vlandian (The Normans) culture and have built up a nice little mercenary group. We've been going after roving bands of bandits and raiders while buying goods at one place and selling them to another that wants it for 2x or more the price. Selling off prisoners and their gear has helped too. Hiring mounted prisoners has also helped as the enemy archers have other horsemen to shoot at instead of just me.  I was able to make a nice 20K Denari but then a series of unfortunate events destroyed my army and separated me with my companion. I was a prisoner of some raiders for a bit before I could escape. I reunited with my Companion (a shield maiden) and hired a couple more companions (a really decent pole-arm foot warrior and a healer I gave a bow to). I am rebuilding my army with Valandians and hiring some former bandit prisoners. One of the mountain passes in the northern part of Vlandia was just covered in raiders until I took out their hide-out. Now its less dangerous to bring an army of 50 troops through.

I am trying to be a good lancer, riding horseback and hitting with a lance can be really tough. I am starting to get the timing down. I usually end a battle with 1 or 2 kills (usually after the enemy routs), but my final battle last night before bed I got 8 kills! most was during the battle with a couple during the rout! Not sure what happened but wow was it great! But then the baby woke up so I had to save my game and go to bed. I still need to learn how to couch the lance, I only know how to stab. I'll have to google it later.

Tip for new players, if you want an easy time early game, go horse archer. Just leave your army in reserve and just ride circles around looters. It herds them into a dense group which makes nearly every arrow hit a target, earning you a lot of XP. After you're out of arrows you can send your army to finish them up and then use melee weapons on horse back during the rout to level that up too. I didn't set up my character for archery so I have pretty much only been using a lance, but watching some youtubers, it looks like shooting fish in a barrel.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11492 on: April 09, 2020, 01:54:23 AM »
I assume its a single player experience, not online right?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11493 on: April 09, 2020, 02:08:14 AM »
I assume its a single player experience, not online right?

Yes it is single player.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11494 on: May 29, 2020, 06:15:10 AM »
Its rare that I'll finish a Total War game, as I usually get to a point in the game were it becomes too easy or boring. I think of all the times I've played WH2 I have only beaten the campaign twice on Mortal Empires. The High Elves (as Tyrion) and as Bretonnia (As Louen, it was a King Arthur themed one too). The Bretonnia one netted me an achievement for beating it and currently only 1.8% of players have gotten that achievement. Well its time to add another to the list!

I played as Grimgor, and the greenskin changes made it fun enough that I was able to play to a short campaign win. In the past I always got bored a dozen or so turns in. I am tempted to do the Empire next (I've only beaten it in TW1). I am not usually an achievement hunter, but if I do it on legendary (I usually play normal so I can play themed armies) I'll get another rare achievement (.8%). I am tempted to play as Bretonnia again now that Grom is stationed around there in ME. And if I beat it on Legendary thats a .6% achievement rate. If I did play, I think I would play as the Faye enchantress and try to kill Grom early. As far as non-achievement hunting, I would like to play a VC Vlad and Isabella campaign to completion. Also it would be a good idea to actually complete a vortex campaign. I nearly did a few times but then stopped or restarted.

Its also a fun note that on the TW reddit, whenever a new DLC comes out, people tend to restart an empire campaign. Just good to know the Empire is still popular. Karl Franz is very meme-able too.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:22:18 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11495 on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Well done Feanor! Both times I've played Mortal Empires my game has glitched in a way I couldn't actually win the game, and it had to be abandoned.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11496 on: May 29, 2020, 11:59:33 PM »
That sucks. I think that has happened to me before on a VC campaign and I was so distraught that I stopped playing for awhile. I have been told after the fact that if you verify the game integrity on steam, it can sometimes fix the issue. Other times people reboot their computer or restart the game a few times.

Also just a heads up Gankom, there is a thread about TW2 in the Elector's forum too: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52074.0

I've been posting comments and suggestions there and game play stuff here.  :biggriin: Just wanted to keep you in the loop since you seem to be as enthused as I am regarding the game.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11497 on: May 31, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »
I'll take a look at the other thread!

I've tried verifying the integrity and everything but alas it just doesn't seem to work. I found it as a known bug a year ago and I suspect it was just never fixed.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11498 on: May 31, 2020, 08:12:09 PM »
It may have been fixed, but from future campaigns and not the old one you had going.  :|

What Lord/Factions were they?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11499 on: June 01, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »
Both dwarf campaigns, one as the High king and one as Belegar. The glitch was with the book of grudges. I'd get a grudge for a faction, but by the time I'd get over to fight them the faction would be wiped out and non existent. (or confederated). Usuallu that would void the grudge but sometimes it stays there, slowly getting older and more serious for the rest of the game. There was a loophole some folks said where if you let a rebellion takes those lands it will reform that faction, but every time I tried it the rebels would reform a different one.