home

Author Topic: Fussilade  (Read 14156 times)

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
Re: Fussilade
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
Of course, this is still only a turn 1 affair, and if the unit doesn't break (stubborn/unbreakable units are the rage these days), then the pistoliers will die...horribly. I didn't see people complain about it in 6th edition (of course we had the superhellblaster then) so why complain now?

I had plenty people complain about the Fusillade rule in 6th... and now that I think back on it, the number and strength of attacks that a unit of Pistoliers could dish out on the charge seems like something more suited to a proper combat unit, not Light Cav.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
I'm ok without that 6th edition rule.

And I like how the pistoliers function currently. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:51 AM »
fair enough.  Give the rule a points cost, and make it an option.  Those who want to make their light cavalry harrass and run away experts can do so and also those who want to make them gun blazing fragile as lightbulbs shock troops can do so too, in the same army even. 

I call 2 pts per model.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Why?
In the old ed they were just as expensive with the fussilade, why increase their cost for something they had which made them strike fear(and pistol clubs) into the heart of the enemy.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »
Apparently some people figured the old format of pistoliers was too killy for compatibility so they were nerfed, probably the same guy who figured that skinny elves who wrestle lions are stronger than beefed up human twohanded swordsmen.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 06:39:56 AM »
You know for people who apparently play games and then "improve" upon the armies, they dont seem to do to well.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
now that we have half points available I actually call 1.5 points per model for fussilade.  Better yet let players decide which of the two formats of pistolier they want to take, caracole charlie, or hakaa paalle Harry.   

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:30:37 AM by der Hurenwiebel »
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline erik maas

• Members
  • Dutch Student best empire player at my club
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
I like how the pistoliers are now, though they arn't based on their fluff just yet.

something that would make great sence fluffwise (as stated excactly in their fluff) They should get hit and run. So:

Fussulade: In a shooting fase if the unit of pistoliers havn't marched but have taken a shot at they enemy, then they can make a normal move (non marching).

So this way you get: Move 1"-8" > Shoot > Move 0" - 8"
8th edition empire (2/1/0)

Everyone knows that the only time Chuck Norris ever cried was when he meet Luthor and realized he was the second most badass man in the world.  :engel:

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
I like how the pistoliers are now, though they arn't based on their fluff just yet.

something that would make great sence fluffwise (as stated excactly in their fluff) They should get hit and run. So:

Fussulade: In a shooting fase if the unit of pistoliers havn't marched but have taken a shot at they enemy, then they can make a normal move (non marching).

So this way you get: Move 1"-8" > Shoot > Move 0" - 8"

that is almost word for word the "parthian shot" rule from warhammer historical and yes I would give that to the pistoliers, and Outriders too for that matter, and it's a given that high elf ellyrian rider ought to have such a rule.  just as a side note it seems to be worth about 2 points in warhammer historical.

but specifiacally being able to shoot both of your pistols while charging into a combat then being able to continue to fight with a hand waepon and one pistol is what fusillade was all about.  Perhaps the rule should be renamed festooned with pistols for clarity.  To represent the pistolier being armed not with two pistols but with several allowing him to continue to fight with pistols in close combat those being a weapon in each hand.

"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »
Give them a brace of pistols.

Offline black,water

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:31 AM »
Yes it needs to come back. that was what gave pistoliers there charm. And would actually make them worth taking

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

As far as I can tell the historical equivalent of pistoliers were the Hakkapeliitta Cavalry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakkapeliitta).

The greatest advantage of the fast and lightly-armored Hakkapeliitta cavalry was its charge. They typically had a sword, a helmet, and leather armor or a breastplate of steel. They would attack at a full gallop, fire the first pistol at twenty paces and the second at five paces, and then draw the sword. The horse itself was used like another weapon, as it was used to trample enemy infantry.

So I can see why people call for the Fussilade rule. However, in order to make things more comparable to the actual tactics I'd propose the following:

When charging:
Resolve one shot/model on long range (giving -2 to hit. -1 for the charge and -1 for range).
Resolve 1 shot/model on short range. (-1 to hit)

In close combat: Fights with hand weapon. (Rilly the same thing sa brace o pistols).

This charge would not be as overpowered as the Fussilade was, but it'd still fit the unit.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »
The difference between 20 yards and point blank (5 yards) is negligible when you consider they were shooting into a formed regiment.  The fussilade rule fairly accurately represented this even  if it was a shocking force that is precisely what they were shock cavalry for their day.  The hakka pelliters and curraisiers or Corazzen as they were also called in italian were the two types of cavalry that existed concurrently at the end of the renaissance and early modern period.  Eventually the light horse or ringerpferd became dominant as pistols became more common occasionally light horsemen would carry as many as 6 pistols at the knee on their saddles harness to use in the shock of first contact.  More usually however the horsemen wouldn't need the multiple shot in a sustained battle as they would either drive off their enemy at once or wheel to retreat reload and return to charge again, the Warhammer ancients battles ruleset is very good at representing this aspect of cavalry warfare with their fall back in good order rules which can be applied to all cavalry and skirmishers and drilled troops.  Drilled cavalry have a bonus to the normal rules of fall back in good order. 

I'm done even trying to convince fantasy players to adopt or even try out WAB any more I'm just going to play it with my friends and have oodles of fun in the die rolling. 
"DEfighter wrote: