home

Author Topic: 2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?  (Read 19784 times)

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
Re: 2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
Is there a good source where I can read about all the Empire army books? So when people talk about the Empire 7th army book, that's related to the Warhammer/rulebook edition and not particular an actual 7th army book? :)

Oh yeah, I think I recall the blister cardboard changed from yellow to red from 4th to 5th edition (and a £1 increase in price ;) ).

Let's break it down.
Warhammer 3rd edition had Warhammer Armies. One book that covered all the armies in the game.

4th edition had the first Empire army book. Also the first edition that had seperate army books for each army.

5th edition used the previous edition Empire book. Most of the other armies got a new book.

6th edition had a new 6th edition Empire book.

7th edition now uses a 7th edition Empire book.

Here's a place as good as any to get answers to your questions  :happy:

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Any article about the differences (updates) between the Empire Army books?  :)

Also, I recall I looked (over a decade ago) for additional info on using a Halfling regiment. I think there was a Citadel Journal or something that had info on how using a Halfing captain and stuff like that. Does anyone know where I can find that info (if my memory is accurate in this case).

EDIT:
Having done some reading up, character wise my 4th army edition book seems a lot more interesting than the 6th edition army book. No Tzarina Katarin, no Steamtank, no Halflings and hotpot cannon. Though the tank got back in the 7th edition, plus they have an Imperial Dragon. Was there a specific miniature for that as well?? I don't read anything about Karl Franz' Hammer of Sigmar anymore either...?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:29:14 PM by Shadow_Zero »

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
Any article about the differences (updates) between the Empire Army books?  :)

I don't know but there's always a lot of chatter in the forums when editions change.

As you noted, 6th edition dumped a ton of stuff from the Empire list. This created a simpler, more effective, human only army. More effective but a lot less interesting, I agree.

6th ed dropped the Halflings, Dwarves, Ogres, Kislevites, Reiksguard foot, outriders, monsters (and swarms), war altar, war wagon and the steam tank (though it was added on later through White Dwarf when they made a new metal version). Not to mention the removal of allies rules. That's a lot of stuff when you think about it  :Ohmy:

6th ed added the free company which was simply an excuse to sell more Mordheim mercenary sprues. A very good excuse but an excuse none the less. Huntsmen where a new feature as well as the division between militia and state troops. The engineer was introduced and handgun units could now have a champion armed with a Hochland long rifle or a repeater gun. I'd talk more about characters but characters don't interest me much.

The detachment rules were also improved for 6th ed. They could now counter charge rather than sit around twiddling their thumbs until it was their turn to move like in 4th and 5th ed. Handguns could now fire every turn (still move or shoot though) instead of every other turn and added an exta d6 inches to their range on their first turn. Pistoliers had their fusilade rule.

I haven't played any 7th edition yet. I think I'll be skipping this edition entirely. I do know that they reintroduced the outriders, war alter and added the rocket launcher. The rules were mucked around with a bit too.

As far as I know, there has never been an official dragon mini for the Empire army. You just have to use dragons from other armies.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the info!
I think the chance is slim I'll play again, I barely got all the rules back then and with all these new editions it'll be even more of an headache. But who knows, never say never  :P 
In any case it's fun picking up the painting with friends again. And I even added Tsar Boris with his ice bear and the Kislev archers to my collection  :D  And I'm happy with my Kislev winged lancers, Tzarina Katarin, Steamtank and Halfing mini's I already collected back in the 90's! From a collector's point of view those days seemed more interesting and various for The Empire army  ;)
Still, I'm curious about the rules, so I might do some reading when I get the chance after all  :)

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and I'm looking for that Halfling regiment info, though perhaps I should open a new topic for that. Google didn't help so far  :( 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:39:48 PM by Shadow_Zero »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:46 AM »
Halflings are now a Dogs of War only option.

There is a character called Lumpin Croop - who has his own regiment of halflings.

Also, 6th ed added the Warrior Priest, and as you are probably aware, also added a seperate Kislev list which had Horse Archers, Winged Lancers, Gryphon Legion, Kossars, Tzarina, and Tzar Boris.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:56 AM »
Also, 6th ed added the Warrior Priest,

Knew I forgot something  :blush:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
I've been wanting to say this since I saw this topic title the first time :

"2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?"

"Well, the current one is 7th edition, and a new one adds one to that number, which gives you..."

I'm sure you meant to say "How did we get that date ?"

On topic : Franz still has his hammer, don't worry.
A dragon indeed needs to be converted from an other races' one (I used a HE dragon and some greenstuff)
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=16132.msg351289#msg351289
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »
Ooooh, I like that Lumpin Croops set! Were there specific rules for that character? Was this 6th or 7th edition? (or did Dogs of War got introduced with 6th edition and omitted from 7th edition?)

In my 4th edition Empire Book there are rules for the Hammer of Sigmar, I didn't read about it in the 6th and 7th edition army book, or did I miss it? (did read something about Hammer of Judgement).

@warhammerlord_soth:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=16132.msg352441#msg352441

Nice one!

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline Smythen

• Members
  • - Pikemen to the Empire, NOW!
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 07:49:53 AM »
Ooooh, I like that Lumpin Croops set! Were there specific rules for that character? Was this 6th or 7th edition? (or did Dogs of War got introduced with 6th edition and omitted from 7th edition?)

In my 4th edition Empire Book there are rules for the Hammer of Sigmar, I didn't read about it in the 6th and 7th edition army book, or did I miss it? (did read something about Hammer of Judgement).

@warhammerlord_soth:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=16132.msg352441#msg352441

Nice one!

The hammer of Sigmar is in the 7th ed. entry for Karl Franz, and he is the only one that can have it...
In 6th i think it was with Karl Franz from some issue of white Dwarf or similar.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
Reading the 6th edition army book there's a story about the Hammer of Sigmar on page 70, but I can't find the rules, statistics and points value for either the hammer or Karl Franz himself. Am I going mad?!
Come to think of it, a lot of characters are missing. Seems like the 6th edition book was a supplement to the 4th/5th edition book or something...?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:24:26 AM by Shadow_Zero »

Offline Captain Schweinkreiger

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
I saw a blurb in White Dwarf about the new edition coming out in July 2010, don't know if anyone else caught it. There is also a shot of what I think is the new cover.
The most persistent sound which reverberates through men's history is the beating of war drums.  ~Arthur Koestler

Offline nub5

• Members
Empire,  HUA!   :biggriin:
And the dice like non-proxied, painted minis. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Reading the 6th edition army book there's a story about the Hammer of Sigmar on page 70, but I can't find the rules, statistics and points value for either the hammer or Karl Franz himself. Am I going mad?!
Come to think of it, a lot of characters are missing. Seems like the 6th edition book was a supplement to the 4th/5th edition book or something...?
I remember that the rules for Ghal Maraz were the same as in the current edition, except that it also added 2 attacks. I have to look, if I still have the old rules of KF somewhere.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
I remember that the rules for Ghal Maraz were the same as in the current edition, except that it also added 2 attacks. I have to look, if I still have the old rules of KF somewhere.
Where were they published then? Since they're not in the 6th edition Empire army book. And how about all those other characters (Kurt, Ludwig, Elector Counts etc.) which are only mentioned, but no rules and statistics given... ?_?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »
Those stats were online, but have now dissapeared into the warp.

Unless you PM your mail adress to me.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
Tx! You've got a PM  :)
Care to inform me what the deal was back in the days of the 6th edition? Just omit various info in the Army Book and scatter them over White Dwarf/Citadel Journal/online releases???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:24:19 PM by Shadow_Zero »

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »
Tx! You've got a PM  :)
Care to inform me what the deal was back in the days? Just omit various info in the Army Book and scatter them over White Dwarf/Citadel Journal/online releases???

That's one way of putting it.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
Is there an other way of putting it? :P
Btw, Citadel Journal #50 (2002) is the last entry on http://www.gamehobby.net/. Was that the last one published?