home

Author Topic: Grutch's simple Core Infantry Choices for 8th  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
Grutch's simple Core Infantry Choices for 8th
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:48 AM »
Halberdiers- Fight in two ranks, +1 Str (Both Ranks) (no shield upgrade possible)
Swordsmen - No change
Spearmen-  Free Shield option
Pikemen- Fight in four ranks (spear statline) 6 points a model.
Free Company - no change

The Statlines are the same as in the 7th Ed. Empire book,  points cost are yet to be determined.

Halberds are your attack troops that fight in two ranks at +1 Str.  Being professionally trained empire soldiers reflect this.  If you want to argue fluff,  Chaos Halberdiers are uh,  too crazy and chaotic in combat and would stab one another in the back trying to fight in two ranks.  Elves are too individualistic to really work together in that cohesive manner, and grave guard are uh.. dead already.  There fluff problem solved.

+1 Str for two ranks is not over the top, and keeps things simple and that's how I like it. 

To keep Spearmen from disappearing off the table, I'd field them with a FREE shield.  What self respecting spearman shows up without his shield!?  A 5 point spearman is nothing to be trifled with!

Pikes would be spearmen with four ranks of s3 killyness.  Price them the same as Swordsmen and you're good.  No always strike first or special confusing complicated rules that bog down the game.

-Grutch

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
Re: Grutch's simple Core Infantry Choices for 8th
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
I still really like the "front rank always strikes" rule for Halberdiers, as somebody put it, "the doughty halberdier steps over his fallen comrades."  Based on Imperial discipline instead of the weapon's rule, so we don't have to share!

* The problem I see with 2 ranks is that Halberds then just become improved spearmen, and the question becomes "does the enemy have S3 or S4?"  They're still defensive troops.  FRAS is, too, but it's a type of defense that recognizes that the halberdiers only chance lies in actually harming the enemy.

And Pikes should be a Defended Obstacle (from the front, just like the ranks rule).  Four ranks isn't terribly impressive and certainly doesn't scare heavy cav.  But losing their lances in the first round...that might (or, for Brets, their whole formation!).  Bretonnian archers already have it, so we aren't creating a new rule.  8 pts/model.

I like the free shield for spearmen, though.  That or put swords back at 7pts, where they belong.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »
The problem is the equivalent Chaos swordsmen are still 6 points and have a lot more options up their sleeves....so yeah.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
That's because they're heathens.  You don't want to be a heathen do you?

Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:45:45 AM »
I still really like the "front rank always strikes" rule for Halberdiers, as somebody put it, "the doughty halberdier steps over his fallen comrades."  Based on Imperial discipline instead of the weapon's rule, so we don't have to share!

That was me!
And I still think it's the preferable approach. I'll have to cogitate on this whole 8th edition thing for a while before contributing anything else.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
That's because they're heathens.  You don't want to be a heathen do you?
I'm here laughing my ass off.

Although I like your take on the matter Grutch- I don't like your pike version. IMO warlord's is better.

In any case I'm missing the scouts

Huntsmen as is with longbows, minimum size 5 models. Remove 0-1, restriction, but they do not count towards minimum required core units. May swap their longbows for pistols.

Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »
But on a flip note, is it really worth paying an extra point a model just for a detachment system? Remember that before the new Warriors of Chaos book, Light Armor+Shield marauders cost 7 points a model too. So for WS 4, I 4 naked humans, it should still be 5 pts base with upgrading options. Naturally, since we're not chaotic, we don't get the Great Weapons or flails as upgrades but we get other upgrades in turn...

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »
Although I like your take on the matter Grutch- I don't like your pike version. IMO warlord's is better.

What's his version?  I'm curious.

-Grutch

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
"I think the rule for pikes should be as is, except as well as +1S against those types of targets, it should also be -2AS modifer.
They can't be detachments (like Greatswords), nor can they have detachments (like Free Company). Should be probably 9 points, with cheap command options like the rest of our troops. Can be a Core choice, however no more units of Pikes than units of other state troops. Have option for heavy armour at +1 pt."

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
Shouldnt have detachments? WTF are you smoking?
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »
nothing, and I prefer to keep it that way. With warlord's setup you can use small units of skirmishing pistol wielding chaps to guard them, like duellists.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:33 PM »
Apart from the small units cant counterfire or countercharge for the pike, they have to let the pike take the charge then join in when they can

if anything the only unit to get detatchements should be pike, but the last thing that should happen is they dont get them!

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
Or you can allow the front rank of the pike regiment to have handguns, hand weapon and shield while the back three ranks have pikes :-D
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Why not also mix in small cannon too, hell never mind that, give the front rank repeating hand guns

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
Why not also mix in small cannon too, hell never mind that, give the front rank repeating hand guns

If they can't have detachments then that is the only way to go.
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
How about some sort of flamethrower>

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »

Plus stregnth 5 pikes?
From feanor fire heart:

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »

Nah...maybe as an upgrade for a combat engineer squad...speaking of which...

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 03:10:06 AM »
...so back on topic.

I'll go against the grain here (and am ready to catch some flak): in my opinion we already have too many core infantry that aren't really that different. The end result is that one unit is slightly better and hence that's all you see, currently swordsmen (unless someone deliberately takes a weaker choice).  I would suggest dropping the swordsmen all together or relegating them to militia. Leave spearmen as is (or give them a small buff as Grutch suggested), this would be the defensive choice. Give halberdiers a big buff (several options there), this would be the offensive choice. If done right, we might then see an actual mix of infantry units, which I find aesthetically pleasing and also more interesting from a game perspective.

In the same vein, but maybe less controversial: I'd like to see a rule that parent unit and detachment cannot have the same equipment (i.e. a halberdier unit can't have a halberdier detachment). It would be a small nod to real world history but more importantly again be visually more interesting.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:43 AM »
It would utterly negate the purpose of using swordsmen-swordsmen detachments to negate enemy ranks. As it stands, Empire is already eclipsed in that their static CR can be blown through by an increasingly large amount of superunits...why weaken them further?

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:18 AM »
well, you can still have swordsmen detachments for the usual survivability while negating ranks if we leave them in as militias. I just think it's hard to make three (or maybe even four with pikes) close combat units sufficiently different.

as far as the general power curve goes: Buff up spearmen and halberdiers even further if needed. But: This is for 8th edition when all the books will be re-worked, so some of them could also be nerfed. Empire will come out first and set a standard. Then all the other books follow at the same power level and everything is perfectly balanced. :ph34r: I also hear that fox and rabbit will hug and kiss each other.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
Whats needed is not a specific boost for Empire Halberds but a much more improved set of rules for weapons overall, something to sell them other than the bog standard "HW+S = WIN BONUS!!!1"

Offline Luschke

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 08:22:25 AM »
Pikes with killing blows in first turn against charging cavalry. :>

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
Luschke, let me welcome you to the forums first. Have one on Midaski's!  :::cheers:::

Next, let me tell you that we are, for the first time in W-E history having a serious discussion about how to improve Empire infantry. Don't go f'ing that up, please.

Thanks!

-Obi

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re:
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »
Obi, what the hell was that? I think his suggestion was actually decent, and reflective of the pike's ability against cavalry. You could have commented on his suggestion, rather than insulting him.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.