home

Author Topic: The Empire of the Sword & Sun  (Read 23570 times)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
Re: The Empire of the Sword & Sun
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »
Round 1: Dwarfs, Chris.

What was I up against? A slightly different take on a dwarf army. It had the big block (25) of hammerers with the Dwarf Lord, pretty standard really. It had a big block (30) of warriors. Fine. Then, we get into artillery and shooting. A unit of 10 quarrelers, a unit of 10 hand gunners, 2 cannons and 2 organs guns.  Also appearing were two units of 10 miners.

How did it go down? Pretty good. Turn 1 and 2 I moved across the board, doing my best to keep my General on Griffon and my Demigryphs out of line of sight of his war machines. My cannon shot at his cannon.  My foot troops were front and center. I wanted a combined charge on one of his good combat blocks. I needed to send in something on the front, while at the same time flanking with some cavalry.
His miners were sneaky. Unit #1 appeared early on and were placed right behind my cannon. I tried to slow them down with my archers, trying to get 1 more shot in with the cannon. Uhh, his 10 miners WRECKED my human archers and overran into the cannon anyway. I think they did 8 wounds in combat. Also, is it true in 8th edition that war machine crews can no longer flee from their machine? If your enemy charges your war machine – I think all you can do is hold and take it.
Unit #2 of his miners appeared on the side and wrecked my crossbowmen. I didn’t think miners were so badass. They not only killed more, they won combat, my crossbows broke, and speedy dwarfs ran them down. Who knew state troop sucked soooo much.
Back to the regular battle, in the middle. My Samurai great swords and General on Griffon and Flags all got a 3 way charge into the big warrior block. I killed just enough so they lost steadfast and they broke and I ran them down. It was  bloody.
The flagellants pursued into one of the small ballistic units. They killed them and overran into a war machine (Organ gun, I think). They kept winning combats and overrunning into fresh targets, really upsetting his battery line.
On the far flank, the Demigryphs successfully got all the way round. They were on his board edge, and I had to bit the bullet and take a full blown round of organ gun doom. Luckily, 2 DGKs survived and were able to charge said organ gun the next round.  They did the same thing as the Flagellants, spending turns 5 and 6 winning combatsagainst small foe units and pursuing into war machines.
The Demigryphs  and Inner Circle Knights spent turns 3 and 4 positioning to get a simultaneous charge against the Hammerers.  Once the DGKs moved onwards to harass the back, my ICKs pretty much stared at the Dwarf Lord and dared a charge from the front. I failed a charge due to x2 rune of slowness. Then they failed a charge cause they’re stunties. Then I maneuvered away to avoid a combat I likely would have lost, even on the charge. Hammerers are super tough. My ICK’s scampered off, avoiding a fight, and grabbed some objectives.
He killed my archers + crossbows + cannon + both wizards. All of my hard units survived, I think. I know my Flagellants got really low from eating themselves over the course of 7 rounds of combat. He might have finished them off. Or there might have been 2 or 3 models still left.

Lessons Learned Flagellants are amazing at steamrolling through the soft underbelly on a gun line army. When they get S5 every turn due to pursuit into fresh combat – it’s crazy good.  Humans are terrible stats wise. Basic state troops like archers and crossbowmen can’t even compete against basic dwarf troops. I attack with a lower WS (3 against 4) and lower S (3 against T4). They hit me on 3+s and have S5/6 on the charge with great weapons, wounding on 2+s. I forget how good dwarf armor is. 20 humans have a tough go against 10 dwarfs, for real. Of course, the obvious takeaway is dwarf artillery. Good as always, and incredibly dangerous when they add engineers and runes. I think he had an organ gun configured with an engineer (WS4) giving him base 3+ to hit, and a rune of accuracy (going to 2+ to hit). This inspires great respect in me, and I spent a lot of extra movement energy trying to block his juiciest shot targets. Also, dwarfs are slow. Avoid them. There is no shame in not diving forwards to get your butt kicked by a shield wall of beardiness.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:34:56 PM by wilsonthenarc »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
Round 2: Warriors of Chaos, Bill.

What was I up against? Mostly, a dick on a disc, so to speak. A Level 4 with a 4+ ward save, improved to a 3+ and re-rolling 1’s. He also took Throgg and a block of trolls. A block of chaos warriors. A block of chaos knights. Some war hounds. A chimera. A chariot or two. Overall (aside from Throgg) a very boilerplate WoC army, very well painted and very well done.

How did it go down?  I wondered aloud if it was even worth shooting a cannon at the dick on a disc. Cannons are cool and all… on the one hand, I think that IN THE REAL WORLD it would be very hard to target a cannon at a guy floating on a disc. Even if you figure he’s a chaos boss and taller than the normal human, that’s a real tough shot to make. And yet, I think the game rules make it pretty easy to land that shot 50%ish of the time.
I usually forego taking pot shots like that in my games on T1. I don’t like when I miss, cause I wasted my shot. I don’t like when I make it, cause I just gassed 400+ points they’ll never get to use.  Some dude just drove 8 hours to get his best guy snuffed on a very unrealistic cannon shot before he even got to do anything???!!! I know the competitive amongst you will scoff, and that’s OK. It’s just one man’s opinion. I ended up shooting into the crowed area of the trolls and chimera.
FWIW, the cannon shot at the dude on the disc is also questionable on the complete other end of the scale. A real gamer might not want to waste his S10 sauce on a guy that is 75% likely to ward off even a direct shot.
Game action. Trolls moved forwards and stormed into the castle housing my cannon. My archers and knights and general on griffon all charged his knights. Somehow, I lost by 1 and both the general and ICKs fled, but the archers stuck in the combat.
The dick on a disc cast an innocuous spell, “Treason of Tzeentch”. This spell led to my general never getting a good rally chance. The BSB was just too far away to help. He fled. The spell got recast, irresistibly, and my general fled again. He was now 4 inches away from the board edge. I forget how or why, but he didn’t rally on his last chance and there goes 329 points.
My flagellants 1 shott’ed his warriors of chaos. Like, STOMP’ED. They got a buff from my own Level 2 Beasts (Wildform) and got a random buff from the scenery/objective, due to the scenario. This buff gave them I10. They actually got to swing before the warriors! And they ate 3 of themselves, so they got to re-roll both TO HIT and TO WOUND. It was pretty cool.
My DGKs held down the flank. They crushed a chariot. They may have charged the trolls on the last turn, with neither side claiming a victory.

Lessons Learned Flagellants are a great block of combative death dealing when you can buff them.
Leadership reducing spells can be VERY important.
Human base troops still suck, but they will occasionally surprise you.

More people than I thought have a dislike for the cannon. Most people agree that if you only bring 1 cannon in your army, you can use it however you want (as the rules decree). If you bring 2 cannons and 2 steam tanks and shoot off like 3 wizards on the first Turn, before they even had a magic phase – well… that’s a different thing. It isn’t fun for someone to drive 8 hours to get plugged with 4 S10 D6 wound shots before they have had a chance to move. Me and my opponent spent time this round discussing these topics with our neighbors.

Also, something I learned (well, re-learned) was how good troll regenerating and the regenerating flesh on a chimera is. Essentially a 4+ ward save! What I didn’t learn was an effective counter to these things. I thought I could use metal spells, as they are flaming attacks. But… a flaming attack only affects regeneration for that phase. I was hoping I could burn them in magic and then get unprotected swings in later that turn in the combat or shooting phase. Option 2 was to simply pile as many hits on them as I could. Essentially, putting twice the effort into making them dead. Not very efficient.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:36:31 PM by wilsonthenarc »

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
Round 3: Orcs & Goblins, Brian.

What was I up against?  This was a fun army to see and a fun army to play against. The centerpiece was a boss on a Wyvern. There was a horde of savage orc boyz, Big Uns. There was a mob of regular orc boyz. Some wolf riders, some shamans, some chariots, a block of trolls, 2 doom divers and a rock lobber. Oh, and a mangler squig. Overall, just the right amount of variety and goofiness for a O&G army.

How did it go down?  Neither army was really a better shooter, so we kind of reluctantly shuffled towards an eventual big combat. I will admit, this round and the next round were against somewhat similar O&G armies, so the details might blend together.
One of the early actions was me sending a smaller unit in to rile up his mangler squig. I was hoping it would go equally out of control, and smash into both friend and foe. Results were lackluster. It didn’t kill much more of my guys, and didn’t kill very many of his either.
I am pretty sure I had to commit both my Greatswords and General to killing his trolls in a very weird combat on the left side. I used my IC Knights and some other stuff to hold off the chariots on the right side. We eventually got into combat in the middle, but it was a huge grind and indecisive. My cannon was nestled in a building. He kept shelling the building with a rock lobber. His doom divers got a few minors hits on my Knights.
The highlight here was him getting off a pumped version of FOOT OF GORK on my army. He stomped a few knights, then it went off again and stomped a demigryph, then again and stomped more knights, then again and stomped some archers I think. He stomped 6 times, finally rolling a 1 on the 7th go around. Despite some casualties, I tend to feel a lot better at the end of a fun spell like that than I do after a Purple Sun. A good tagline for Orcs & Goblins: making you feel less bad about losing.
We continued to brawl, with some of the bigger combat stuff getting to go against one another. To be honest, this was round 3 of day 1 and I think both of our brains got turned to mush by really big complicated combats. If I remember right, we fought and killed a lot of stuff, but no sizeable units ever actually broke or got wiped out.
Brian was a great opponent. He ended up winner players’ choice and best appearance.

Lessons Learned Daaa Foot of Gork! Spells that have cool flavor and cool fluff don’t bug me as much when they kill my dudes. Brian was actually shameful and bashful as he kepy rolling not just 4+’s to keep stomping, but 6 after 6 after 6. Grok really wanted that stompin to go down.
Doom divers don’t allow armor saves and can actually cause some really real damage against 1+ wall of steel type stuff. We also weren’t 100% sure exactly what size template is used. We agreed on the larger round 40K bases (40mm round, I think).
Taking a warboss on a Wyvern or other such monster is really affordable for O&G, and the 18in leadership bubble matters a lot more to their army that it would to a lot of other armies.
Savage Orcs are good, the 6+ward to a 5+ ward makes them a lot better. They aren’t nearly as good once you beat the frenzy out of them. Also, frenzy is a big liability, but a cagey general can block his own unwanted charges with his own intervening units to make the charges impossible. This works, but does slow the whole Waaaaaagh down.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
Frenzy is not the liability it used to be: in the current edition, a unit with Frenzy only has to charge, if it fails a Ld test. With the General and BSB around, there is usually no need to have intervening units, as the danger of failing that test is rather small.

Thank you for the reports, btw.

Also, is it true in 8th edition that war machine crews can no longer flee from their machine? If your enemy charges your war machine – I think all you can do is hold and take it.

Yep. They do not even flee as a result of a failed Panic test - they just cannot Shoot in the next Shooting phase.
Note that in CC, the enemy must  "choose six models who will fight in the combat (the assault party, if you will) - the rest cannot get close enough to land blows" (BRB p. 110), with monstrous infantry/cavalry/beasts counting as three models and a monster (including any rider) as five.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:26:06 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
Round 4: Orcs & Goblins, Ben

What was I up against? A Lots of similarities to round 3. A level 4 Orc Shaman leading a huge mob of Savage Orc Boyz – Big Unz.  A big boss leading a big block of Black Orcs. A solo night goblin boss on a wolf. A big block of night goblins with fanatics. A solo goblin wolf chariot. A solo boar chariot. 2 solo trolls. A giant. x2 Doom Divers, x2 Rock Lobbers. All in all, a good feeling O&G army… some randomness, a definite ready to rumble combat type core and some weird and wild shooting.

How did it go down?  Ben was pretty unlucky. The scenario allowed us to curse throughout the game. He got the first turn, and I used my curse on his first shooting phase, making 3 of 4 war machines not be able to shoot. The 1 that could shoot was a doom diver, and it misfired, and he rolled a 1. Twang. See ya. One airborne goblin later, it was my turn. I spent my first 2 turns maneuvering and making mostly ineffective shots with cannon. I wounded the giant. I killed a troll. Sadly, this was about the best my cannon did all tournament.
Start of his T3, we began to close. He charged my crossbows and eventually flanked my flagellants. He was in position to charge them in the rear actually. I charged his solo troll with the archers. I won combat (??), I pursued, and I drew out the fanatics. Yay!  One hit the archers, the other 2 fell short and dizzied around the “No Man’s Land” between our two big combat lines.
He continued to shell my General on a Griffon with Rocks that be lobbed. I kept surviving, due to charmed shield and Opal Amulet and good (or bad, form his perspective) scatter dice.  He sent his giant charging towards my Level 2 Beasts. She ran. The giant redirected into my ICKs. Taking away the charge was huge here, as I was counting on that S6 to finish off a badly injured giant.
Here’s a rule question that we debated, but never came to be. A giant is fighting stuff with his same I. so, naturally they strike at the same time. What happens if a giant rolls a “Yell and Bawl” result for his random combat table?  Do the opposing units that are same I get to attack simultaneously?
After two rounds, the giant was finished off by, of all things, a horse bite. This let my ICKs reform and set the stage for the best movement phase of the tournament for me. In 1 phase, I charged (1) the ICKs into the fanatic-less night Goblins, AND (2) the Greatswords into the Savage Orc Horde, AND (3) the DGKs into the Savage Orc Horde, AND (4) the Flagellants into the Black Orcs, AND (5) the Crossbowmen into the flank of the Black Orcs, AND (6) the General on a Griffon into the Savage Orc Horde.
Like I said, this round had curses. I had used 1 already to nerf his war machine shooting on T1. He got to use a curse back on me, and it stopped the charge of the crossbowmen into the flank of the Black Orcs. Also, the General/Griffon failed his charge due to limited frontage to physically fit in to combat.
This was huge, lots of stuff died. But, all of his units remained steadfast. My attacks didn’t kill the BSB and both his BSB and General kept his troops in the fight. I killed 15 of the Black Orcs in Round 1 of combat with the Flags. But, then quickly lost steam. The crossbowmen got in on the flank next turn, but by then the Flags were tired and down to S3.

Lessons Learned   Ben was unlucky. He rolled a LOT of misfires and a fair share of 1’s to wound when he needed 2+s. He never failed an animosity test, FWIW.  War Machines against a General of a Griffon are scary, but, the Charmed Shield and Opal Amulet are a great investment (at a combined 20 points).  As good as Flagellants are in the first round… they can be equally bad on rounds 2, 3, 4 and so on. Losing re-rolls and/or losing frenzy and/or going down to S3 makes them pretty much state troops. Biggest lesson learned: Orcs & Goblins are fun to play against (for me at least). Ben got off the boosted Foot of Gork twice, but each time only stomped once. He was not rolling as many 6’s as Brian had.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:21:43 PM by wilsonthenarc »

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Round 5: Demons, Alex

What was I up against? A pretty cool demon army, featuring: a Great Unclean One (Papa Nurgle), a block of 25 Plaguebearers with a Herald, a block of 25 Demonettes with a Herald, a couple units of Beasts of Nurgle and x2 Skull Cannons of Khorne.

How did it go down?   I really thought I had the jump on deployment. I outnumbered him. I had my Greatswords and Flags front & center, marching straight ahead towards his two blocks of demon foot troops. I had the mounted troops all on one side, ready to roll forward and fight and flank.
 I forget how much extra rolling there is with a demon army. Alex had to roll for the gifts and got some good ones. Then, his first magic phase, he rolled  for winds of Magic and got a free unit of Demons, which he promptly put in front of my awesome flank of DGK’s and ICKs. I had to maneuver to avoid and was able to get through them pretty well, but eventually had to waste a turn or 2 charging my DGKs into a unit that gave me no VPs.
Alex wasn’t really especially lucky or unlucky, except for 1 magic phase. He went for a 4 dice Death spell with Papa Nurgle, Ultimate/Miscasted, and got a 4 on 2D6.  He then rolled poorly and got sucked away, into the warp. There goes 580 points. Of course, we are allowed to rank our five opponents for sportsmanship. Alex was friendly enough, and might not have been as outgoing as other players – but he didn’t let a bad Miscast get him down. He kept smiling all game. And I know that he lost his big Papa Nurgle the SAME WAY in round 2. That is good sportsmanship, keeping up a smile when crappy things happen. For that reason, he got my highest sportsmanship vote.
After completing my flanking move, I sent the Flags and ICKs against the demonettes and wiped them in one turn. Yay!  This wasn’t just a smashmouth combat, it took some finesse. I had to prioritize. He had cast MINDRAZER on the demonettes on his turn. I rolled a 7 for the Winds of magic and had to decide what to cast. I ended up using all 7 dice to dispel MINDRAZER with a level 2 and just barely got there. I felt good about that decision afterwards.
A quick rules query: if I still had my Dispel Scroll, can you use a Dispel Scroll to dispel a “Remains in Play” spell (hex / augment)?
After wiping the demonettes, the Flags overran into the Plaguebearers. The must have really lost some momentum. Or, I didn’t realize how tough a -1 to hit is. The Flags and Plaguebearers fought 6 or 7 rounds of combat, with the Plaguebearers finally killing the last 1 on the bottom of T6. I think they only had the BSB and 2 rank and file left. It was a tough one to lose.
My general on Griffon spent a lot of time hiding from the Skull Cannons. After killing the 0 VP unit of demons that got summoned, my DGKs charged into Skull Cannon #1 and killed it.
The other super duper grindy combat of note was Greatswords versus beasts of Nurgle. Wow, -1 to hit, AND toughness 5 AND regeneration is really tough. I eventually threw my archers in to this combat as well to try and tip the combat resolution. The beasts beat us by 1 in bottom of T6, but hadn’t killed off either unit. There were 3 archers and 1 Greatsword left. Then we rolled for combat… and my Greatswords fled. And then I realized my last model was the standard bearer. And the beasts captured him and those critical VPs. Throughout the tournament, the Greatswords were good and tough and stubborn and were the MVP for long protracted combats and hanging around to the last man to deny my opponent those sweet sweet victory points. In fact, I think over 5 games, they never finished with above 5 models left and I think this game (Game 5) was the only game in which they die off and surrendered their victory points.

Lessons Learned   Alex was a good sport, and despite a catastrophic loss of his best single model, kept playing and kept upbeat. In fact, he played me real tight and I am very glad it ended up being a very close game. I guess I should be a tad embarrassed that I let him overcome this loss and fight his way back into it.  Beasts of Nurgle are dead hard. Not sure the best solution for them. Fire? Cannonballs? Any suggestions? The Skull Cannons are pretty scary. A S10 cannon that can move 7in and THEN shoot as normal???!! Yikes. We spent a few turns playing ping pong with bad cannon shots. My level 2 metal was actually pretty helpful here, making Searing Doom really do some work.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »
A quick rules query: if I still had my Dispel Scroll, can you use a Dispel Scroll to dispel a “Remains in Play” spell (hex / augment)?

BRB p. 504 (Dispel Scroll): "Note also that a dispel scroll cannot be used to dispel spells that remain in play other than at the moment they are cast."

That said, you cannot dispel Mindrazor in your turn in any case, as it is not RiP. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:33:05 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »
Ooooops.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:35 PM »
Not that I am turning this into a Rules thread, but here's another one. It's similar to my question about Characters joing Flagellants.  They can not, as Flags are a Unbreakable unit, by definition.

I don't have my Big Ol' Rulebook in front of me... a unit of Fast Cavalry. They have extra good movement rules. If I have a Battle Wizard on a Warhorse (not barded), he can join that unit. Does the unit lose their Fast Cav rules?

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »
 :icon_redface: Answering my own question  :icon_redface:
Home now, RULEBOOK, p68.  Fast Cavalry - Characters: If a Fast Cavalry unit is joined by a character without the Fast Cavalry rule, the unit loses the rule until the character leaves.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
Hey there! Nice read on your battles. Just a quick note though - you can't dispel mindrazor once it has been cast.  It lasts a full turn. Being a hex/augment spell has nothing to do with it. What matters is if it is a remains in play spell, which it is not. RIP spells can be dispelled on subsequent turn
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »
That said, you cannot dispel Mindrazor in your turn in any case, as it is not RiP. 

:icon_wink:

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
Hey there! Nice read on your battles. Just a quick note though - you can't dispel mindrazor once it has been cast.  It lasts a full turn. Being a hex/augment spell has nothing to do with it. What matters is if it is a remains in play spell, which it is not. RIP spells can be dispelled on subsequent turn

This was our bad. I found my opponent and emailed him explaining that we/I did it wrong. This way we/he knows for the future.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
New planned addition to the Empire of the Sword & Sun: Terracotta Warriors
A block of 50 Halberdiers, modeled to look like the Terracotta Warriors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army#mediaviewer/File:Xian_guerreros_terracota_general.JPG
Also, not so much halberds... rather Nagintas. Naginters?

The warriors themselves are going to be painted and modeled to look like old worn down statues. Start with a terracotta colored basecoat and drybrush up to light greys and bleached bone type shades. The unit will be 10x5, a horde. I am thinking of actually modelling the walls and embankments between the files of troops. I actually have enough such that I can model wall / troops / wall / troop / wall, etc and make the unit 100 models strong (10x10). The wall sections will be their own 20mm x 20mm sections, so the whole thing is modular. I might do a few extra in 50mm x 20mm for the back wall.

RE: troops, I found some great models on Old Glory. I got them, they look perfect. Then, ooops, reality set it. They didn't have holes through their hands so that they could hold Nagintas.  These ones: http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SUM-09&cat=188

Like I said, these were exactly what I wanted Terracotta warriors to look like. I am, however, a gimp. I have had very limited success in drilling these holes effectively. The fists aren't quite large enough to accommodate a 3/32" hole.  I have tried a hand drill, a power drill, a drill press, a dremel with carbide burr. Harumph. They aren't quite lined up for two matching holes in both fists either. I have mangled about 10 miniatures and their hands won't ever look right again.  It's OK, these misses will be good chances to practice the terracotta paint technique. I am debating using an airbrush on these.

RE: the unit (gameplay)... I am very excited to have this unit led by an Arch Lector. I was fiddling with magic weapons. An Arch Lector with the Mace of Helstrum is pretty good!  He's a warrior priest, so he gets to reroll his misses first round. He only has 2 A on his profile, so going down to 1 is not a big loss and the reoll totally helps that big S10 whack get through. If I want to make him even sneakier in combat, I could give him the Trickster's Shard and make opponents reroll wards. Probably not though. We need to keep him alive too. Maybe the potion of speed so he can strike first against a big baddie.

RE: the rank-and-file, I think the unit might do well with a BSB carrying the griffon banner. That bumps them up to a static 8 for combat resolution. Also, this makes up for the Arch Lector not having coldblooded (excuse me, "Hold the Line"). Re rolling breaks with LD9 on 3D6 seems tough, even if they lose after a static 8. And they really should be steadfast. This huge block only costs 659 points, including all characters and magic items.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »
Salutations my friend Wilsonthenarc! On account of your magnificent army and the glorious victories won by your proud samurai, I have been inspired to do a great sketch in your honor. I hope you like it :-).

My apologies for the liberties I took with your dragon and archers, I replaced the dragon's Griffon wings with reptilian ones to look more accurate and i gave your archers a more historical head piece to be more authentic.

To those wondering, the daemons with weapons in the battle are called oni, Japanese demons. The other daemons are, of course, chaos spawn and as a final note, though the archer arrows held by the bowmen seem crooked they are not. The archers are holding two arrows, one by base and the other by the head, as this was a Japanese archer tactic to allow faster shooting.

I hope my artwork is acceptable :smile2:.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
WOW!  :icon_mrgreen: Amazing, thanks.
This is a great sketch!!!!  :eusa_clap:

Thank you thank you

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
To the Baron Von Klatz; THANKS AGAIN. Some other things I am noticing...
(1). You got the art on the banner of the Knights just right! Same symbols.
(2). You got a Flagellant mid action shot punching an Oni, cool
(3). I tried to explain what "Oni" were to my most recent Demons opponent. He didn't care as much as I did. I think that someone could totally do a GREAT japanese/chinese/asian themed demon army... I think a Tzeentch army with a Greater Demon and some Oni would be soo so so so cool. If no one else does it, I guess I might just have to.
(4). I like your bows better than mine own  :icon_rolleyes:
I like the double arrow technique too.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
I love your work friend. Also, is that a Chaos Spawn on the right side of the picture? Is he holding a broken flag? That's pretty damn cool! :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
I'm really happy you like my work. :happy:

(3). I tried to explain what "Oni" were to my most recent Demons opponent. He didn't care as much as I did. I think that someone could totally do a GREAT japanese/chinese/asian themed demon army... I think a Tzeentch army with a Greater Demon and some Oni would be soo so so so cool. If no one else does it, I guess I might just have to.

I agree one-hundred percent, Japanese folklore is filled to the brim with demons and evil spirits that can easily be made into a chaos army.oni daemons of khorne, monsters disguised as enchanting women for slaanesh and kappa water demons that make rivers toxic for nurgle. Then there are the storm brothers, thunder and lightning, that would make great warriors/sorcerors that ride storm clouds in place of disks.

(4). I like your bows better than mine own  :icon_rolleyes:

I used Japanese yumi bows, I'm sure if you look around enough you could find models for some. If not then try combining two bows together to get their long length, they are composite bows afterall.  :wink:

I love your work friend. Also, is that a Chaos Spawn on the right side of the picture? Is he holding a broken flag? That's pretty damn cool! :biggriin:

Right on all counts, if you look closely at the soldier's back (the one being strangled) you can see a torn flagpole.

That's the only thing bad about this piece, there's so many soldiers that some details get obscured. One example is the monk near the wizard's scroll, it's hard to make out but he is holding a severed daemon head. I also wish I gave more attention to the wizard and warhorses so they stood out better.

Oh well, lessons learned to make my next piece better. :wink:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
Love love love your terra cotta warriors idea - especially with putting the walls and embankments between them.

I loved seeing your army at da Boyz (I was the one making the USMC themed empire army and showed you pictures on my phone)

I can't wait to see how the newest addition turns out. Will you be at any other tournaments?

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
Hi BBorN Good to talk to you again. Do you have pictures/links of your army? I'd love to spend some more time checking it out.  Yes, I will be at more tourneys - I need to check and see if there are any local ones at either (1) Millennium or (2) Pair-O-Dice or (3) Boldos.  The next regional one is, I think, Spring Break down in Elmira/Horseheads in mid March 2015. How bout you?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2014, 01:18:38 AM »
Wargames Factory have a great Ashigaru set which has some lovely long oriental style bows - I have a whole load of them I got from a bitz order.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
Crossroads Gt is in the spring - sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it. But if you want to go you better get your name on the waiting list! Dec 1 is when the money is due and anyone registered who doesn't pay gets booted off and the waiting list people get a chance.

I am hoping to hit up The Unplugged GT in CT again next year. I think it wil be in April if I'm not mistaken.

Where about a are you from? Is Syracuse close to you - we do tournaments at the LGS every month, usually the second weekend of said month.

I haven't posted up a painting thread yet, I have 20 knights done so far (need to get shields for them though) and I'm about to start on the last 4 knights. Then it's DGKs and well see who I want to paint next. I might though start my display board since I have some crazy ideas that I will probably never be able to complete haha. Once I have more up I'll post pictures.