home

Author Topic: Battle vs. Snagafang  (Read 7269 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Battle vs. Snagafang
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »
Well, it turned out to be a draw!  2500 Empire v. 4200 Orcs and Goblins.  I was in a well defended position with hills and entrenchments.  I could also reroll missed artillery shots, a special rule we had that signified sighting/ranging of the artillery before the battle.

I'll post a batrep, with Snagafang's help in a day or two.  It was a lot of fun and it was nice meeting Snag and Rufas.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline clausewitz

• Members
Re: Battle vs. Snagafang
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
A draw is, of course, a victory if you are the defender!  :-D

How did you work out the relative points values?

Looking forward to the battle report.  Well played Wissenlander.
I fought in the NC war.. and all I got was this lousy sig...

Offline BigDAWGSnaga

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
Was Rufas the gentleman that loaned you some Empire( I dont want to use his name here without asking)?
I didnt know he was there. Heck, if that was him we should have all thrown down together and let the other poor saps face the might of Chaos! Curses! Stupid 'umies! :-D :-D :-D If it was we need to arrange for another battle in the future where we can all get in on the same game.

I got all of the pics downloaded Wissenlander. I am still weeding through all of the ones not in focus. I will put them in an album tonight and you can let me know which ones you would want me to use. There are some really funny shots! Then we can pm our reports and edit them into a single post we both like. Fluff will of course be optional afterwards!

Good game though! I am so happy when I give up nearly 1000 points on the final turn of the game! :-D :x :-P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:08:38 PM by BigDAWGSnaga »
BigDAWG
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »
Indeed, Rufas was the quite tall gentleman.  His troops did a fine job for me (the great amalgamation of Wissenland/Drakwald/Nordland troops).  I was a bit shocked at my last turn, I guess my troops were ready after all that entrenching?  Too bad my arty got crunched so early, I was doing well with them...

I think another battle would be cool, you could unleash more of your troops potentially, a truely scary thought!

My wife thanks you for letting her jump in there as well.

Sounds good about the pics, let me know where I can view them and we'll get started!

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
@Clausewitz:  We decided to have this battle as a response to however the battle at Port Maw/Gork's Maw was going.  Since the U.S. Empire assault was repulsed the previous week we decided it would be fitting that I was on the defensive.

The massive Waaagh! would move in (and it was massive) and do their best to get me out.  I was allowed to bring in reinforcements as the game progressed which basically meant any unit that was destroyed during the battle.  I didn't use warmachines or characters in this though.

I hope that answered your question.

not together.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »
With that point descrepency hat looks like a greeat result (i am hoping you skewed the results table to reflect the points difference)

I had a final showdown against Count Olaf but it did not turn out quite the way we expected. It turned out on the day that a friend had bought alond his dwarf army wanting a battle. Not ones to disappoint it ended up being something like this;

Graf Veldemere and Count Olaf met to do final battle, to the winner the spoils, there would be no backing out of this final battle. As we took to the field we were both greeted by a large force of Dwarves searching for the crown believing it to be in the field. They demanded that both armies retreated or died, this not being an option eiher felt they could support we both charged the Dwarves holding an uneasy alliance.

This resulted in 2k Empire and 2k VC versus 4k Dwarves.

Count Olaf will post the batrep on warseer as soon as he has the time, for those who can't wait it was a solid victory to the Empire (only because I managed to avoid his lords!).
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Goomb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:12 AM »
Well done, gents!  The report is posted at Da Warpath!

Goomb

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »

not together.

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:09:57 PM »
Read the batrep Wissenlander.  Good stuff.  Your opponent has a very nicely painted army (no wonder you bought some paints sharpish  :wink: )

Very nice to see two balanced armies facing off.  A battle of infantry regiments, with nice splashes of shooting and magic, instead of the WAAC-type armies that abound wfb.

Considering the scenario I think you did very well to draw (looks like turn 5 turned things around for you).

One thing I noticed that you could have made more use of was the recycling units rule.  If it was me I would have been tempted to rush forward with my knights and used them to hold up part of the orc advance in a suicide mission.  As if they died early they have the speed to be useful when they return as reinforcements.  Even run them straight at the fanatic carrying NG units to release the fanatics early.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »
I thought the very same thing, Clausewitz...once it was too late.  My flanks were 'in the air' and I did my best to anchor them, but there really wasn't any terrain available to help me do that, so I used the knights, one on each flank.  I was a little too concerned about that I think, which is why I kept them in close.  In the end my right flank got completely mangled, and my left was shaky.  Only my middle held tough, which is where the strength of my army was anyway.

If not for turn 5, it would have been a nice defeat for me.  My guys must've sensed it!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:30:27 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »
I think another battle would be cool, you could unleash more of your troops potentially, a truely scary thought!

I'm up for it.  I had 3000 points, and still could have fielded three batalions of infantry, 3 more units of knights, mortars, HBVG, shooting and misc.  How big do you want it?
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »
I think he's got upwards of 10K points. :unsure:  Maybe 5k or 6k per side?

I have recieved reinforcements of Dwarfs (Brennenburg Dwarfs, not Karak Dwarfs) and that should easily tip me above the 2K point threshold.

not together.

Offline BigDAWGSnaga

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
I think he's got upwards of 10K points. :unsure:  Maybe 5k or 6k per side?

I have recieved reinforcements of Dwarfs (Brennenburg Dwarfs, not Karak Dwarfs) and that should easily tip me above the 2K point threshold.

More like 20K but why quibble over points, right? :-D
I would be up for any sized battle. August is shot for me though, but September is open right now. Rufas, I wish I had known it was you! We would have had you team with Wiss and gone from there. I had no idea!
BrianC
BigDAWG
"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost!"

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »
It keeps getting bigger! :icon_eek:

Sometime in September should be good, although there are one or two weekends that are no good for me already.  I won't be able to make it up there this weekend, so our Man o' War game will have to wait too.

not together.

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:37:19 PM »
but September is open right now. Rufas, I wish I had known it was you! We would have had you team with Wiss and gone from there. I had no idea!
BrianC

Nobody expects Rufas the Eccentric!  No that's not right.  Nobody expects the Sigmarian Holy Inquisitorial Tabernacle! *

August is shot fo me as well, I can easily get up to 5000 points on troops alone, even before adding all the extra lords and such.

* Also known by their initials S.H...., er, nevermind.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 05:51:43 PM »
but September is open right now. Rufas, I wish I had known it was you! We would have had you team with Wiss and gone from there. I had no idea!
BrianC
Nobody expects the Sigmarian Holy Inquisitorial Tabernacle! *
Note to self, dont let Rufas name anything...

Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
 :happy: One of my regular opponents used the name "Sartosa Harbour Independent Trading Syndicate" for his DoW Pirate army for a while!
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
All time favourite inappropriate acronym has to be..

the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organsims and their Rehabilitation Into Society

Courtesy of Mr A. J. Rimmer BSC, SSC

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
It could be worse. Newcastle polytechnic in the UK turned into a university and they were almost fully along the process of re-naming it th Central University of Newcastle & Tyneside.

I am deliberately not bolding that one, thankfully someone pointed it out before it was too late.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 04:21:54 PM »
Students at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County like to refer to it as  yoU Must Be Crazy

Would that be Arnold Rimmer?

Getting back to business, I can also through 2000 points of Salzenmund Dwarves into the mix.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »
And I can bring about 1000 points of Brennenburg Dwarfs (though I need the army book now :eusa_wall:).

Painted one full rank of spearmen, too!

not together.

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »

Would that be Arnold Rimmer?

Indeed.  Arnold Judas Rimmer (Bronze Swimming Certificate, Silver Swimming Certificate).