home

Author Topic: When can we see GW's official AOS Sales numbers?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
When can we see GW's official AOS Sales numbers?
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:40:44 PM »
They are a PLC, but I wonder if their next published accounts will show revenue of AOS as a separate business trading unit or wether they will just hide it in the main revenue figures?!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
Re: When can we see GW's official AOS Sales numbers?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
I've glanced at their annual reports before but don't recall them ever giving a breakdown by product line.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:03:30 PM »
It'll be all lumped together for sue.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
It'll be all lumped together for sue.

Yeah, Sue likes it that way. She has trouble reading large, complex tables of data.

:engel:

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
They still have copies of a 2000 print limited edition book for Age of Sigmar. Considering only 2000 were available worldwide I would say that Age of Sigmar has already flopped and flopped pretty hard.
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
They still have copies of a 2000 print limited edition book for Age of Sigmar. Considering only 2000 were available worldwide I would say that Age of Sigmar has already flopped and flopped pretty hard.

While I have good reason to suspect AoS has not sold as well as some at GW thought it would, I don't think using the limited edition book is a good example.  In fact, the idea of putting out an expensive collectors edition for a brand new game aimed 100% at extremely casual players was stupid anyway. Even assuming AoS catches on in a big way in the future, there is just no way it has the fanbase yet to support such a product very well.  It doesn't even have any cool accessories to entice people on the fence about it.

That being said, the fact they released such a product right now shows to me they're a little out of touch.  This book would have made sense a few months from now as a compendium of previously released fluff (should include an exclusive short story for good measure) and scenarios.  An Age of Sigmar Annual if you will.  People that actually play the game would appreciate having all the warscrolls and campaigns in one place and in a nice quality hardback to boot. 

I am probably wrong of course, as I am not in the war gaming industry and have no idea how the internal workings of these companies are run.  As a gamer though, that makes more sense to me.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
yeah same for me, the limited edition doesn't hold enough extras to support paying the extra $$ for it on my budget. I do have the regular one though.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
Yes, I don't think we can equate limited edition books not selling out to be an indicator that the game is flopping. My friends' sold quite a few starter sets at their store -- in fact, twice as many as the 2 local GW stores combined (I didn't even know they'd opened the 2nd one). They're using a 6-month AoS discount campaign to suck people in.

She actually used that info to wrangle some of the Goretide and Stormcast dice cups that GW wasn't going to give them for some reason. She told her rep, okay, I've outsold both your stores and you don't want to send me dice cups, how about I return all my unsold AoS stuff?

Dice cups already in store as of yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:10:45 PM by Syn Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline InvaderZim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »

I think they have scared a lot the veteran players off the the ones who have the income so shell out for this and a new player wants models not £80 worth of pictures and free rules as harv said "out of touch"

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »
....and when was this limited edition book put on sales? ...a couple of days ago? lol.

like others said its hard to judge actual popularity based on this limited edition book. Especially when GW had released Age of Sigmar rules for free. And now they are releasing a book. Some new players might not understand that.
But then again, wood elves and dwarves limited edition books sold out before release date while Tyranids limited edition still had like 400 copeies after 3 weeks of being out.

Limited Edition or 'collectors edition' also only appeals to collectors who really identify with that army or its their favorite army.

Overall I think the age of sigmar minatures sold very well because people want to use them for other games and the mini's are priced quite cheap. Somethinkg like 2$ per mini in the set compared to like 6$ mini's from buying a box of 5 or 10 dudes.

My personal small sampling of players is that the majority are buying the mini's but not playing the game.
Which I think is what GW was going for anyway since they put almost not production effort into the rules. Its just a token rules set to get new players into wargaming and then get them into 40k.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:28:02 PM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Sajek

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 11:39:20 PM »
If its any indication their stock hasn't changed. I would expect a rebranding and launch of a new game to at least jump stock up a bit with GW being the big kid on the block when it comes to table top miniatures.

As much as I hate to say it I'm glad AoS is not doing well.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Looking at previous GW reports, they don't breakdown by game products, at most by GW, Forgeworld, and Black Library, or continental region. 

Also their financial year ended at the end of May.  We should get the new report for 2014/15 in the next week or so.  Age of Sigmar will not affect it.  It will be the end of January half year report before we know if there has been much change in profits. 

I also don't see why this launch would affect stock price.  Outside of fan groups it hasn't had much exposure, but it has had some, but hardly enough to make most investors notice.  They're small fry for most investors that have had a steady if small dividend for years.  Something that would affect the price would be a poor results report in the next couple of weeks or a profit or loss warning to the market.