home

Author Topic: Anyone using Vallejo paints?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Anyone using Vallejo paints?
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:54 PM »
So I thought I would give them a try for my tanks I built (check my deep dive into Warhammer thread), since the model line seemed to have the colors I needed for certain periods. I just got them today and did a watered down coat on several of the tanks, and I am quite surprised how the paint set, as well as the sheen. I have to admit I have been a reluctant GW faithful all these years, but have grown really tired of my new paints drying out. I still have some from a couple of decades ago that are still good as new). I liked GW, especially in recent years, as they told you what to paint where with their system, which I really appreciated. Now I am wondering maybe I should just be more creative and do more my way, and switch to Vallejo.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the brand? Does the paint ever dry out? I usually put stainless steel balls in my jar paint to shake it up, but I can't do that with these (at least I don't think - do the tops come off easily?), so wasn't sure what to do if the paint starts to thicken.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Anyone using Vallejo paints?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
The tops come off. I put glass beads in mine for the same reason. They don't seem to dry out, but sometimes the dropper lids need cleaned out. And they need shaken really well, especially if they're sotting unused for a while.

I think they have some of the best coverage of any paint brand. They're harder for me to get locally, though. But they're my go-to nrand for bright colors, especially red & yellow.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
Vallejo do several different brands of paints. I've used all of them and like all of them. Primarily using Vallejo now, with some ArmyPainter and GW. GW paints are good, but the bottles are bad. GW paints dry fast.

Like 023 noted, you need to shake Vallejo paints very well, especially if they've stood unused for a time. I've also had problems with the nozzles a couple of times. They can build up pressure, and paint keeps flowing out of the bottle. Easy to avoid with a pin or something, but I often paint in a hurry, and don't have the time to be careful.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
I like them a lot. They are usually watery but that's good for detail if you have time to apply several coats. Nice range and I really like the sheen.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 06:39:03 AM »
I've used a couple of vallejo paints, mostly camoflague greens. They were a bit more runny than GW but covered slightly better. I reckon this varies between colours just as it does with GW.

My main paint of choice is Coat d'Arms - I reckon they're very similar to vallejo. No complaints.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:52:08 PM »
Roughly half of my paints are vallejo. A very good brand ineed. They outlive GW paints by YEARS.

One word of caution. I have found out that the Model Colour line (white tops) wear off more easily, than the Game Colour ones. They are intended for more traditional model painting (aircraft etc.) and are not meant to be handled like models for miniature wargames.

That being said - I still use them as the amount of colours is insane, they just require varnishing to be 100% safe from damage.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
Coat d'Arms used to supply GW their old paints right? I still have many of those old paints...

Offline Demallo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
Never had any vallejo paints. Are they considered a quality brand?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 03:54:44 PM »
Yes.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »
Valejo Model Colour or panzer Aces are vastly superior to game colour imho.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:47 AM »
Really nice paints, as has been said make sure the nozzle is cleared before putting pressure on it. Hobby shame moment, I was in a rush and didn't clear a dry nozzle...it blasted out spraying a unit of just completed Tomb King skeletons. Lesson learned, don't be dumb like I was.  :ph34r:
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 09:22:37 PM »
Ok so after some time, I'm hooked on Vallejo. Actually, because of Dropzone Commander, I have experimented with Army Painter too, with mixed results, but the ones I like I really like. It took me a bit to understand the different types of paint from Vallejo, but I mostly use Game and Air now, with some of their technicals. And I love their inks. Not crazy about their Model line, since the sheen is really flat from what I have experienced.

I have a ton of GW paints, and feel rather dumb about it. I have seen some people re-bottle GW paints into dropper bottles, and I have thought about doing the same to some of my favorite GW paints. Has anyone done this too?