home

Author Topic: Hooray for the Blue and the White!  (Read 33718 times)

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
Re: Hooray for the Blue and the White!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 04:48:47 PM »
Thats such a crisp blue I gotta wear shades   8-)

Like your painting style very much  :::cheers:::
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 05:46:33 AM »
Complete departure from classic minis today  :-P

I skipped 7th and 8th editions entirely, so pretty much all releases from that period are entirely new to me, including this guy who arrived in a job lot of eBay. He is missing his backpack (will replace with something suitable down the line), and dunno about that gizmo on his hat, but other than that I actually quite like the mini. Not nearly as much character as a classic 4th edition sculpt imo, but not bad either  :smile2:

I removed the cannonball he was originally standing on, and will probably put him in amongst the cannon crews once they are all done.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »
Beatiful oldschool Empire, well painted. Following for sure. :happy:

Not nearly as much character as a classic 4th edition sculpt imo, but not bad either  :smile2:

Non-Perry plastic Empire has this problem. I guess all 'autocad' miniature design has this problem. There's less character and less detail in the actual robes and gear, and this lack is then hid under a ton of unnecessary, cartoony and presumably 'funny' accessories, like the thing on his head. Oh well... We all become nostalgic oldtimers as time goes by, I guess... :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Removing the cannon ball was a good idea, and nice painting too! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 12:03:36 AM »
Beatiful oldschool Empire, well painted. Following for sure. :happy:

Not nearly as much character as a classic 4th edition sculpt imo, but not bad either  :smile2:

Non-Perry plastic Empire has this problem. I guess all 'autocad' miniature design has this problem. There's less character and less detail in the actual robes and gear, and this lack is then hid under a ton of unnecessary, cartoony and presumably 'funny' accessories, like the thing on his head. Oh well... We all become nostalgic oldtimers as time goes by, I guess... :)

-Z

I don't disagree. Am painting up the classic old Hellblaster crew at the moment, and if I had to choose "best empire dude with a spyglass" mini, it would be the one from that ancient kit. But I was still somewhat pleasantly surprised how well the plastic guy scrubbed up. I like him more than the 6th edition metal mini anyway, the one with the bird on his shoulder...

Have had these guys sitting around as well for ages in varying states of disrepair. Bought some head variants of ebay to spruce them up a but, and they turned out ok. Really hoping to get my hands on some of the classic metal handgunners as well. Maybe even add in some varients from thrid parties, like Brother Vinni etc.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 01:39:41 AM »
Looks great! Once again very clean and vibrant, fantastic work!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
Great looking unit, again!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
Very nice, what color did you use on the banner pole?

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
The pole itself? P3 Menoth White Base.

I use it and the Menoth White Highlight paint a lot. They work really well.

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 11:45:57 PM »
Should be getting on with painting up rank and file, but the old good metal hellbalster turned up in the post, and was immediately distracted by the crew members. Some of the funnest minis I have ever painted, especially everybody's favourite Tillean inventor  :-P

Speaking of distractions, is this forum ok about non-Empire minis? Have my eye on a mint 4th edition boxed set, and am terribly tempted  :ph34r:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 12:01:51 AM »
Absolutely. Post / share what you like  :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
Cheers. Although after long deliberation I decided to pass. What am I going to do with all those monopose grobi after all?  :-P

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 06:16:44 AM »
These archers are another group of minis I have had owned for decades. I don't actually know where they are from. They aren't from the 4th ed wave of empire releases are they? Feels like they are a bit earlier than that but their tabs didn't have a date...

Anyways, this is still WIP, as I want to eventually get my hands on the whole range if I can, plus put together a command group.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:18:46 AM by JoV »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
GW metal from the mid to late 1990s

Lovely stuff
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »
great work, lovely bright colour scheme
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
Believe I have a handful of those metal archers. The one on the far left I turned into a Westerland archer during days of the Crisis in Marienburg campaign, and included him with another 4 skirmishers.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
Cheers guys  :smile2:

GW metal from the mid to late 1990s

Ah, thanks. I was thinking they might be from earlier, before they got the Empire 'style' down, because they do look quite different to the rest of the range  :-D

In other news I really need to stop buying assembled plastic minis on eBay. Prices are good, but it seems it is all the rage to build minis these days by just dunking everything in a glue pot and then mashing it all together  :icon_mad: Anyone know of an efficient method of removing excess dried glue, or is it just a case of trying to scrape off as much as I can?  :eusa_wall:

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 12:13:26 AM »
Ebay prices are mercifully cheap, but yeah you do get a mix of quality (and glues) from there. One set of minis I received once was stuck together with the strangest rubberised cement that had downright oranged with age and I couldn't scrape off for the life of me. (Those went in the bin.)
If it's rank or file minis ruined by too much glue they get relegated to the back rank. I have a number of old spearmen who lost shields and now have mangled arms for that reason. Not nearly so noticeable at the back of a big unit.

Neat looking archer unit! Definitely interested to see what you post up next.  :happy:

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2020, 04:36:25 AM »
Mine weren't as bad as yours. They have proven to be salvageable, although the feet are particularly bad owing to the small lake of glue that was used to stick them to the base  :icon_confused:

Its the plastic flagellants, so feels like a somewhat appropriate act of self flagellation trying to painstakingly get them cleaned up with a hobby knife  :-P

Weather is crap here for the foreseeable (altho we could definitely do with the rain  :smile2:), so will be a little while till I can get out and take more piccies, but lots of pots are bubbling along nicely  :::cheers:::

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »
The sun has come out so a chance to show off another (nearly) finished unit  :-P

That the Warlord Games Zweihander kit doesn't come with a command sprue is about the only bad thing I could say about it. Will have to buy those separate. Otherwise I think its an amazing kit, some of the best plastics I have worked with  :eusa_clap: The banner is also my first try at painting over a printed banner. I think I like this more than the one on the halberdiers.

I know there are lots of comparison pics between this kit and the GW one, but thought I would throw one up anyway. In my mind they work perfectly together in the one army, but can't really put them together in the one regiment. The guy on the right is just far too weedy in comparison  :blush:

Will come up with some head cannon reasoning as to why two units of greatswords look so different in the one army....btw, do the 6th edition Empire metal greatswords match up with the 8th ed plastics proportionally? Perhaps they will be a better fit to these Warlord Games ones....

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
I definitely think the scale of the metal 6th ed ones would align more to the Warlord plastics.
I see the 8th ed plastics aligning more to the 4th/5th ed metals.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
That banner looks fabulous :) A fantastic looking unit for sure!

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:35 AM »
I definitely think the scale of the metal 6th ed ones would align more to the Warlord plastics.
I see the 8th ed plastics aligning more to the 4th/5th ed metals.

Is there a photo anywhere of the 6th ed greatswords alongside the Warlord ones? I couldn't find one in my search  :oops:

Just a quick update showing off the paint scheme I have been thinking of using on the flagellants. I want them to look semi-coherent with the rest of the army, so figured a mainly white/cream scheme, with a bit of blue would work. Or should I switch it around and have them mainly blue with a little white?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
I want them to look semi-coherent with the rest of the army, so figured a mainly white/cream scheme, with a bit of blue would work. Or should I switch it around and have them mainly blue with a little white?

Hows aboute half the unit one way, half the other?

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »
Re: The warlord games kit, how did you deal with the little circular base the minis come on? Did you cut it off or disguise it with some base texturing?
Be interested to know the best approach, may have ordered a lot for my own uses...