home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668433 times)

Offline arjunstc

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1450 on: September 20, 2012, 04:08:25 AM »
Do NOT buy Castlecraft castles.

Those things are unnecessarily bitsy and take ages to put together. Time that can be better spent painting.

You have been warned.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:14:48 AM by arjunstc »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1451 on: September 20, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
I have some of those sets and took some quick pics a while back.

28mm figure next to the door entrance, as seen, it's a bit small, especially when your figures will be based

Some sprue pics to give an idea. Lots of small pieces. Textured on both sides:

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #1452 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »
Is that Castlecraft Castle?  :unsure:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1453 on: September 21, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
What is this, a castle for ants?

Could be bought to make ruins though. One sixth of the assembly, rest of it cheap putty and debris piled on.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1454 on: September 21, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
I think the doors could work; there are many places where doorways wouldn't be as high (comparatively speaking) as we have them in modern homes. Building up is easier today than it was in the mediaeval period; this castle could represent an older building.

Or a Dwarf hold :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1455 on: September 21, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
Yes, those are from the Castlecraft sets. Doors are small, but when I look at some real life castles around here, I find you always have to stoop to enter them.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1456 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
I think the doors could work; there are many places where doorways wouldn't be as high (comparatively speaking) as we have them in modern homes. Building up is easier today than it was in the mediaeval period; this castle could represent an older building.

Or a Dwarf hold :)
No. A hobbit hold!
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1457 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:32 AM »
You guys see those tiny clips?

Every single one of the joints have to be held together using two or more of those...

I think I'll rubble mine rather than to build it up.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1458 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
I think I'll get one and build it into the side of a mountain as a dwarf outpost.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1459 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
You guys see those tiny clips?

Every single one of the joints have to be held together using two or more of those...

Or glue :)

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1460 on: September 23, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Unfortunately the clips form part of the walls, so if you try to glue the sections together without the clips, you get gaps.

Not to mention that some of the clips are T-joints which allow you to put walls together in right angles - without them it will be as much effort to try to get the walls to fit properly.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #1461 on: September 25, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »
LAM are starting to make their own metal cannons - metal fetishists rejoice. Price is not bad either.

http://www.lead-adventure.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=178&osCsid=750c1010c8cc57125ad91d02a2fb6cf9

One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #1462 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
Can't believe there isn't more love for LAF/Ratnik's Brugelburg range on this site. Maybe its an age thing, but I think their range is more 'Empire' than any of GW's current range.

Lovely!
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1463 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
Sure do love Ratnik's work!  I have already purchased the entire Bruegelburg range.  Nothing painted yet though, just have been able to appreciate the fine details up close  :biggriin:

And yes, the price is comparable to GW, and quite frankly, the detail puts GW to shame in most cases.  For the whole deal with 4 cannons and 10 crew, you pay 94euro (120usd) if you are in Europe, or roughly 100 USD if you are outside of Euro as they do not charge you tax if your order is international.  That's pretty much the same price as buying 4 cannon kits, except they are metal with nicer details.  No mortars are included, but nobody uses them anyways nowadays...  :engel:

Have you seen their upcoming swordsmen?

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=45963.0
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1464 on: September 26, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »
They are absolutely stunning. I have the entire range (except for one figure - the knight with a silly spiked hat). They are superior to GW in every way imaginable, and they mix very well with the Foundry mercenary orcs too.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1465 on: September 29, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Maybe itīs rude to have two straight posts, but I need to put this in writing somewhere: Foundry are serious about their rejuvenation. I just had a mail conversation with Marcus Ansell, explaining that I wish to have more puff nīslash greenskins for my army, and it ended with him adding half a dozen packs of Mercenary Ogres (well, they are orcs really) to their site that had been withdrawn ages ago for reasons unknown. More will come, and Iīll buy them. My Marienburger army just grows and grows (600+ infantry now).

Now thatīs customer relations, GW.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1466 on: September 30, 2012, 12:39:12 PM »
Maybe itīs rude to have two straight posts, but I need to put this in writing somewhere: Foundry are serious about their rejuvenation. I just had a mail conversation with Marcus Ansell, explaining that I wish to have more puff nīslash greenskins for my army, and it ended with him adding half a dozen packs of Mercenary Ogres (well, they are orcs really) to their site that had been withdrawn ages ago for reasons unknown. More will come, and Iīll buy them. My Marienburger army just grows and grows (600+ infantry now).

HOLY CRAP! That's awesome!  I love those figures, and now that my birthday is coming up, I think that an order is in line!  Horray for foundry!  :::cheers:::
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1467 on: September 30, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
Akbar

You have discovered that there is a small group here who are collectors of these Kev Adams sculpts and so you are to be commended for your actions.

I have just spent some time updating my lists as I/we had pictures of various quality of some of these models, but no names to go with them.

Indeed I have found the first anomaly as what Foundry call "Razogret Dwarfstomper" I have seen called "Fancy Orrathock"

http://www.shiftinglands.com/orc02.htm

I also have some pictures of figures still not listed - there is quite often dispute over what is a Mercenary Ogre and a Mercenary Orc in these figures and the sizes of models do vary.

http://kevadamschallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/foundry-fantasy-ogres.html

http://kevadamschallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/mercenary-ogres.html

I am in the UK, and have some spares if you have any swaps.
Timbor is in Canada, and may want to check lists with you too.
You will also see evidence of White Knight on the site I linked to, as well, as he has a few too. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:51:50 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1468 on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
They probably lost the old name, and just made up a new one.  :blush:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1469 on: October 01, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
To add to the previous conversation about lead adventure miniatures - some photos of their recent 'handgunner' sculpts:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=46470.0

Hmm, I wonder how they will look compared to our beloved pajama-donning hillbilly statetroops?  :engel:

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1470 on: October 01, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1471 on: October 01, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »

Akbar, after reading your post, I went ahead and sent marcus an email thanking him for the changes made at foundry, and also inquired about any other mercenary orcs or ogres.  I got an email back, and they have put up SEVEN packs of mercenary orcs (I think that is all the remaining unreleased ones).  All told that is 20 new (to us at least) poses of puffy slashy orcs!  Huzzah!   :::cheers:::

I would say that if you are a fan of foundry's stuff, now would be a good time to place an order if you are pleased with what they are doing.  It's one thing to commend their progress, but the progress is useless if they don't see financial returns from it.  I plan on placing an order soon for mainly that reason - to put  my money where my mouth is.

Also, in the same email I asked about their discontinued packs in a few ranges:

Arthurian 4 packs
Franks/Saxons 1 pack
German 14 packs
Picts 2 packs

His response:

Some of the Arthurian and German packs have already been put back on the website. Here are the lists of the unreleased  pack names from the ranges you were interested in:

LR032    Dark Age Arthurian Or Frankish Or Gothic Cavalry Command                                     
        LR033    Dark Age Arthurian Or Frankish Or Gothic Cavalry

FS009    Frank And Saxon Casualties

AG002   Suebi Warriors                                         
        AG005   Suebi Cavalry                                           
        AG006   Suebi Cavalry                                                   
        AG010   Chatti Cavalry                                           
        AG013   Chatti Veterans                                                       
        AG017A        Savage German Warriors                                                     
        AG018A        Savage German Warriors                                     
        AG019   Germanic Cavalry                                           
        AG021   Germanic Cavalry                                           
        AG022   Suebi Cavalry                                                   

PICT007        Pict Chariot                                       
        PICT008        Pict Command Characters

Let me know if you’d like to order any of these and I’ll get them back on the website for you.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1472 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
Diverting the discussion (briefly) from Foundry...

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/dark-futures/zombie-vixens

Undead cuties!

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1473 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
Those look pretty cool.  I don't do Post-Apoc stuff, but it looks like their quality is starting to improve. 

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1474 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »

Akbar, after reading your post, I went ahead and sent marcus an email thanking him for the changes made at foundry, and also inquired about any other mercenary orcs or ogres.  I got an email back, and they have put up SEVEN packs of mercenary orcs (I think that is all the remaining unreleased ones).  All told that is 20 new (to us at least) poses of puffy slashy orcs!  Huzzah!   :::cheers:::

I would say that if you are a fan of foundry's stuff, now would be a good time to place an order if you are pleased with what they are doing.  It's one thing to commend their progress, but the progress is useless if they don't see financial returns from it.  I plan on placing an order soon for mainly that reason - to put  my money where my mouth is.
[/quote]

Oh, I will tomorrow. Amazing what simple emails can do sometimes.  :happy: