home

Author Topic: Post Your Crazy and Whacky Fillers and Overall Cool Unit's  (Read 13463 times)

Offline ColonialRaptor

• Members
    • www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
Post Your Crazy and Whacky Fillers and Overall Cool Unit's
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:58 AM »
Hi guys,

On this past weekend I was at a tournament where a guy had created a Vampire Counts army that was seriously the best army i'd ever seen.  It was an Empire cross Vampire army that had units of both that met in the middle and were like clashing armies, while also fitting properly with the rest of the army.  It was seriously so cool.

So I'm hoping that people can post pictures of their different units and the fillers that go with them.  The way that they've made their armies look cool and different with lots of differently ranked pieces that make the units look really good together as a cohesive whole.

It's very hard to find this sort of stuff on the net so I hope there are some here :)

Here are a couple of examples of what I mean:

Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Post Your Crazy and Whacky Fillers and Overall Cool Unit's
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:10:30 AM »
I will never get tired of seeing photos of those GMM figures!

I don't have any really good pics, and this idea would have turned out better looking had I used wider units (I suppose putting them together in one horde would work in current rules, but this was an old army) but my old skaven spear & shield equipped units were based on the idea of them being cowards crossed with the idea of historical examples of the pavise, sparabara, or shield-wall units. So the front rank holds ramshackle giant shields, forming a "wall" while the back ranks poke their pointy bits over & around them. Why stop at just shields, when you can hide behind a portable wall, right? Suits their cowardly nature, I thought.

I never completed this unit. They are "skaven slaves" instead of "skavenslaves." The idea being that they are human slaves, taken by Skaven and marched into battle by slave-masters. So in the back are converted packmasters, and in the front are chained up emaciated humans built with a mix oc militia & zombie parts.

Pretty old figures. Not quite up to the standard of what you posted, but I was proud of them at the time.

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:32 AM »
Pretty old figures. Not quite up to the standard of what you posted, but I was proud of them at the time.

They look pretty good to me. As always, the use of professional levels of photography really help the examples from GMM (and Dave Taylor?) to shine.

I like the use of things like cart wheels as over-sized shields.

Offline anameisaname

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
Those look awesome love the themes to them.

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »
I bought a few units of skavens off ebay and was short of a few figures to make hordes, so I had to devise unit fillers for them. Here are the results:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »

+

+

=

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Southron

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 05:38:51 AM »
Great unit Southron.  Simply outstanding  :::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ColonialRaptor

• Members
    • www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
I wants more!!
Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline TvetovNato

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
Damn Southron! That unit of Sisters makes me very jealous!

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
I adore your paint style Padre! How do you manage to get such a huge contrast?
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »

Thanks! (Feeling good now.) It's simple, if old fashioned: black undercoat, then paint everything leaving a little black outline. So ... steady hands. And the weird bit - enamel paints. I may well be the only person here still using enamels.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline InvaderZim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

Thanks! (Feeling good now.) It's simple, if old fashioned: black undercoat, then paint everything leaving a little black outline. So ... steady hands. And the weird bit - enamel paints. I may well be the only person here still using enamels.

it kind of reminds me of the cartoon archer  :biggriin:

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
It´s very impressive to paint like that with enamel. Must have really steady hands then.

I didnt know it could be done. Looks great  :::cheers:::

And Southron....that Sisters unit....NICE   :biggriin:
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »

Nice! Do you use matte enamels? Or glossy enamels with a matte varnish perhaps?
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »
I have not varnished figures since the varnish went wrong and turned a regiment dusty white in 1983. Matt paint, no varnish.

Offline Southron

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 08:33:31 AM »
I'm glad you guys approve of my efforts.

I have to say, my bank account did not feel the same way!

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 05:47:36 AM »
(( Hey all,

While they are unpainted, as I'm still trying to finish my Steam Tank, pair of Halfling Archers, and 4-Soldier Spearman contingent, here is my unit filler for my Tomb King Skeleton Soldiers.

I know they are using gravestones.  I really need to find an obelisk looking thingy.  So, overall, I was trying to make it look like three of them were digging their way out, and the fourth could be used as a stand-in for a banner or something.

Anyway, here goes:

I was thinking, as an aside, of using the wing bits from the Sphynx to add to the banner of the Tomb Guard.  ))

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
This belongs in my crazy whacky thread!! This is freakin awesome!

Just for you Raptor – so I’ll not repeat an image I’ll share the GWshop’s photo of Capt. Mannawing and Co who came third in their recent painting comp.

Edited as GW's picture has disappeared

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:05:54 PM by JAK »

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
I haven't done very many unit fillers, but I tried this one for my Greatswords.  They are such a colorful cool looking unit, that I wanted lots of banners and also something that could stand alone and represent an object marker if we are ever playing a game of "capture the flag".  I also made a second smaller unit filler that could round out their numbers to a complete ranked horde.

Offline Reiksguard 1485

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
Not sure they qualify as "cool" or "whacky," but I'm pretty pleased with the way a couple of my state troops regiments turned out. They're based on artworks from Empire: Uniforms and Heraldry.

Grundels Defenders and the Swords of Ulric

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
Definitely qualify as cool.