home

Author Topic: Show-off your Empire State Troops  (Read 68510 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Show-off your Empire State Troops
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
I have to point out something I have notice in the last little while. I understand that the majority of us do not like the monkey face, shoeless, empire state trooper. However, saying that, I have seen a lot of you paint them up brilliantly!! Seriously, they look so good these models are rapidly becoming some of my favorite plastic troops. Right, they don’t line up very easily I can attest to that but they paint up awesome.
Post those if you want to,  all those conversions, brilliant paint jobs, great looking basing etc. show them off.  DO IT!!  :::cheers:::

**** edit*******

just post your Empire State troops  :smile2:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:59:13 PM by zak »
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
The cover of the new painting guide has some nice Reikland troopers that I will try to mimic.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
Have you ever noticed that almost everyone (Myself included) automatically puts the monkey face on the shoeless feet?

I think that says more about us than the miniature.....
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Have you ever noticed that almost everyone (Myself included) automatically puts the monkey face on the shoeless feet?

I didn't!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Azyr

• Members
Umm will have to go check that one....do we also paint the shoeless monkey in green and yellow?
(Sorry to all Stirland players just couldn't resist)
Games in 2013 = 3
WHFB - 0/0/1
40k - 0/2/0

Offline Your Mother

• Members
Im working on a project on making the new plactics as attractive as possible. Mostly I cut of most of the troops' trinkets and such, and using a lot of 6th ed bits. I'll have to post when im done.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline daftpunky

• Members
I guess I'm the odd man out as I got into the Empire again purely because I loved the new state troops!
 Yep, you heard right - I think that with the uniform colours added for your fav province these figures are great!
Sorry chaps - its just my opinion!  :smile2:

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
this is more a case of pjamas or big fluffy puffy costumes
i prefer the second one, and i hate the current ones because they
don't fit in with the rest of my regiment of artdolf monopose
halberds. they also look very militia-like, but that's what free company are for!
edit: which is the monkey head??

Offline steveb

• Members
when I first started gaming, a regiment would only have 4 poses max, the troopers, the standard bearer, the commander, and the musician. Now, the variety is what I like most, even if it is not the best pose or dressed the way I would like.  I guess you could just use the best possible pose/sculpt for your troops and revert back to the olden days, of monopose regiments.  All in all, give it time, these figures too will become history, and will be paid for dearly on ebay.  steveb

Offline Slavik

• Members

I think that says more about us than the miniature.....

I always just skip the monkeyface and put some other head on instead and I also place the shoeless guys in the backrow.
I do like some of the ornaments on them and the armor, but it's a bit too much in some cases. I don't have that much problem with their
skinnylegs only that they are a nightmare to paint.

The reason for skipping all the monkey faces is that I can someday invade this forum with my monkeyface horde regiment  :icon_twisted:
The reason for my uniform being a slightly different color to yours is never explained.

Offline jhig

• Members
Re: show us your new plastic state troopers ...are they truly that ugly?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »
I like the state troops. Easy to convert and carve the bits off you don't like. I use the shoeless figure as a standard bearer for my Stirland units as a sort of pride thing.

I do like the milita box muchly as well.

Offline ludenhof98

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
Very nice. I have never expirienced old school stuff because I've only been in the hobby 4 years but personally I think the new figures look better. The empire is meant to be relatively historically based and huge puffy sleeves with slashes tended to be reserved for the nobility and the elite. The kit also has a brilliant variety of heads, bodies, shields and weapons allowing for lots of variation.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Im working on a project on making the new plactics as attractive as possible. Mostly I cut of most of the troops' trinkets and such, and using a lot of 6th ed bits. I'll have to post when im done.

You are my hero here. I cut them off too, too much hassle to paint.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
Very nice. I have never expirienced old school stuff because I've only been in the hobby 4 years but personally I think the new figures look better. The empire is meant to be relatively historically based and huge puffy sleeves with slashes tended to be reserved for the nobility and the elite.

Google "Landsknecht".

Offline ludenhof98

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
Very nice. I have never expirienced old school stuff because I've only been in the hobby 4 years but personally I think the new figures look better. The empire is meant to be relatively historically based and huge puffy sleeves with slashes tended to be reserved for the nobility and the elite.

Google "Landsknecht".

I know my history thankyou very much :icon_evil: :icon_evil:. The Landknechts where a mercenary elite originally set up by the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. The ordinary troopers still wore uniforms that better befitted them. Almost all images you will see of German Reniassance soldiers of this time are of Landsknechts who still very much remained a millitary elite. The reason you may think standard troopers wore puffed sleeves is probably because landsknecht regiments were comprised of pikemen, halberdiers and handgunners too. The Landsknechts do not show a true representation of standard infantry of that time as very few pictures of common soldiery can be found because Landsknechts were romantisized by artists and are always shown as the classic infantryman when actually they were more an elite. Also the classic Landsknechts with two handed swords are doppell soldner meaning double pay men, an elite group of warriors.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
I know my history thankyou very much :icon_evil: :icon_evil:.
Thank you for telling us your history. 

Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
No, they are beautifull, check my blog. :wink:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
So it doen't look like I will be able to paint these anytime soon, so i'll post them while this thread is still fresh.

I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline Wolfenbaum

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
Some of the faces are really ugly in my opinion. Otherwise I kind of like them. The face issue is easily solved if you have some other Empire boxes around. The front rank of my halberdiers have greatsword heads:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
see very nice these guys can look AWESOME!!! thanks for posting it  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ludenhof98

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
Some of the faces are really ugly in my opinion. Otherwise I kind of like them. The face issue is easily solved if you have some other Empire boxes around. The front rank of my halberdiers have greatsword heads:

Oh those are very, very, very nice. The faces are ugly as most models in the empire range show the malnourished and deformed peasantry, the knights for example have more noble faces as do pistoliers.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

I know my history thankyou very much :icon_evil: :icon_evil:. The Landknechts where a mercenary elite originally set up by the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. The ordinary troopers still wore uniforms that better befitted them. Almost all images you will see of German Reniassance soldiers of this time are of Landsknechts who still very much remained a millitary elite. The reason you may think standard troopers wore puffed sleeves is probably because landsknecht regiments were comprised of pikemen, halberdiers and handgunners too. The Landsknechts do not show a true representation of standard infantry of that time as very few pictures of common soldiery can be found because Landsknechts were romantisized by artists and are always shown as the classic infantryman when actually they were more an elite. Also the classic Landsknechts with two handed swords are doppell soldner meaning double pay men, an elite group of warriors.

Your history? I am aware of all this, but when you said elites I thought you excluded all common soldiers, hence my comment. I bet many ran around with some "do it yourself puff and slash" as that wasn't that hard to do.

Offline johnjohn2

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »
ugh.....really? we are having this conversation again? over 6 years later? Personally i LOVE the look of the new models. They are more dynamic than the old ones, the poses are better, they arent hard to rank up (just plan better when you assemble) and i actually like all the extra stuff they have on, it adds character (something the old ones didnt have). Its not hard to paint unless you make it so.
And i put ol "monkey face" in the front rank as my standard, along with another guy with no shoes also in the front rank. And to the point of them looking like they only wear PJ's, its not true, the arms and bodies have enough armor and extra detail to disprove that, not to mention that somewhere along the lines people got our modern professional armies and the way they are equiped confused with historical armies. I know i know, fantasy and all, but if some can use the ol Holy Roman Empire elite troops as examples of "how the empire should look", i can use actual historical reference as well.
Historically troops had to buy their own equipment, not much money for puff and slash so not everybody is going to have the best uniforms. and historically footgear and general supplies of clothing was a problem, so having guys with no shoes is no problem. Heck, even the legend of the battle of gettysburg being fought over a shoefactory lends to this.

So to me, i love the new/current troops. End and end.

Offline Carcharoth

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
Everyone seems to call them 'ugly' and whatnot but let's face it, the standard Imperial soldier is not going to be a physically attractive male. Auld Jonny Imperial trooper is probably son of a hard drinking turnip farmer.
The new (relatively speaking) troops are characterful and their only downside is the lack of puff and slash but well, they're not wealthy.

For attractive Empire models look at the long haired duelist model, the dashing gentleman he is.
"Who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter

Grunburg Defensive Regiment Log:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38415.0

Offline ForlornHope

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »

Google "Landsknecht".

Sigh...

Every time this conversation comes up, it's always "Landsknecht!" as if Landsknecht were the only soldiers on the battlefields of Europe in the 16th century. Early Renaissance warfare did not consist of armies of Landsknecht wailing on each other to decide which Landsknecht army was the best. Yes, I know the Empire takes a lot of artistic style from them, but like with all things GW, the style of their armies takes from many historical sources, not just one. Here are some plates of soldiers fighting in Henry VIII's army during this period. Notice the variety? Yes there were Landsknecht but their were also other soldiers as well with a variety of uniforms and armor. This was not the modern age of standard issue equipment.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:35:22 AM by ForlornHope »