home

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!  (Read 245062 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2725 on: May 13, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
I thought this was was ace, at least as long as you tried to ignore the fact that many bolt throwers failed to attempt to fire, and a lot didn't even move! That was their one job. They had one target, in clear skies, and there were more of them than ever before. And why weren't any mounted on or near the Red Keep? What got me through was the thought that the crews fled once they saw what the dragon could do and realised they were its prey. I enjoyed all the drama of the rest. Die die die, it went! Some slowly in bloody combat, some just gone in an instant.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:04:11 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #2726 on: May 13, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
So, I wont talk about if I like or dislike the episode because you know my opinion already...

What I would like to know, its what are your guesses now of whats going to happen. My guess is that Varys taught the little girl how to poison food, and Dany will die that way and Jon will take the throne. I do not think anyone else will make the move for honor or fear.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2727 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
I think she lost a lot of support. Arya could do it. Jon maybe. Hell, as dumb as the season has got, The Seven could take a shuttle down from the orbital station from which they've been observing events on the ground, declare their planetary engineering experiment a failure, and call down Exterminatus and it would make just as much sense as some of the other crap that's gone on...  :roll:

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #2728 on: May 13, 2019, 09:57:22 PM »
Thought the Dragon coming in from high with the sun at his back was a nice touch.  Its not like people have experience spotting flyers coming in.  By the time they realized and started moving they only got a couple shots off before boats start exploding, one or two passes more in the confusion and its all over.  Never underestimate Dragonfear, no matter big a bolt you think you got, the thought of burning is bad.

Dany burning the whole city isn't as crazy as many say.  She does have a long history of destroying her enemies with brutality.  The rewards for following her aren't all that sweet either (Slaver's Bay isn't better off now, especially after she left, and the Dothraki as a culture aren't happier now than before they knew her).  We got duped into thinking she's basically "good" because she's blonde, and small, and resilient, and has suffered much and smiles adoringly.  But she's ruthless as any of them, maybe more.  She has a weakness for certain kind of men, and they all die or let her down which always ends up badly for everyone else.  Burning the city just as the vision in Season 2 makes perfect sense to me, but then I wasn't enamored with the character as much.  As much as everyone likes Jon Snow, in the books I really want to see what becomes of "Young Griff", Aegon son of Rhaegar and his Dorne bride (who would have a stronger claim than Snow really). There were so many side stories I found more intriguing than what has become the main cast of 4-6. 

Visually nice for the twins to have their last moment, but was kinda hoping towards her finding his bled out body and wondering what's going on, THEN Arya finishes it.  Clegane-bowl went pretty much as expected.  Cersei was always the most clever of all them, even constantly outwitting Tyrion, I was expecting far far more.  Hinted at with some wildfire explosions, but when the end was coming she really had no cards hidden.  Disappointed.

The whole Jon's secret thing is going to get messy.  Who was Varys writing to?  Dorne?  High Garden?  Iron Bank?  Dany was right, once he started telling people, it would never end well.  Especially Sansa, she has become her mother.

Does this whole thing end with nothing really being resolved and this just another blip in the Targaryen rule of the last 300 years?  There is so much story there now, it could easily just be another crisis solved a la BlackFyre etc. and at the end Dany rules with iron and fire and Jon is just a vassal who burned when he displeased (so the histories will say).  Or does it end all Disney-like with him being the good king and restoring the rule of the First Men and the Children before the Andals came and messed it all up.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #2729 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
That one was alright I guess. At least we got to see a dragon used intelligently.

Some pretty dull / predictable endings for a few characters.

Are there two more episodes? I don't know what they are going to fill those with now to be honest?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2730 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »
Watched it again, more carefully, and realised that many bolt throwers did attempt to fire, but that after the first watching the part I recalled most was how the dragon flew along the wall and they all looked stationary. Perhaps by then the crews had fled, expecting to be burned like the rest if they stayed?

I noticed the sun thing the first time, but failed to get the geography of the dragon coming from the docks toward the walls from behind ... maybe they couldn't turn them around quick enough.

One dragon had a LOT of fire to give. But it's fantasy and a very fantasy creature. Have to admit the force with which the fire blew even the fortifications apart was odd, but if they were build of bricks rather than stone, and in fantasy world, then why not?

After a second viewing, looking for reasoning, continuity and connections between events, I was still happy with the episode.

Also, I presumed the wildfire explosions were because the fire was reaching various stores of wildfire.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:10:12 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2731 on: May 13, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »
I thought there was only one more episode?

Surely the now obviously insane Danny will be assassinated by someone? Her father's (and brother's) mad cruelty genes were simply awaiting to be switched on by crazy grief, unbalanced anger and an urge for revenge.

There have been glimpses of this sort of behaviour from her along the way - foreshadowing this.

I thought the anguish visible in several people as they realised she had taken a 'turn for the worse' was well done.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2732 on: May 13, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »
Watched se 6 Ep 9 tonight and in it dany talks about burning meereen, and tyrion dissuades her.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2733 on: May 13, 2019, 11:57:19 PM »
During last night's episode during one of the many burnination scenes I could help but say to myself "What hell am I watching because this isn't very Game of Thrones". 

The worst bit for me is the poor Golden Company going down like chumps. Really thought they would work in that they actually prefer Targayrens (Red or Black a dragon is still a dragon) and it would have been related to the whole Varys plotting (say the defect right away but in favor Jon or some such).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2734 on: May 14, 2019, 05:09:10 AM »
I thought it was fine. I dont get all the people who are upset. The more I think about it, the more satisfied I am with her going mad.
I honestky thought she was just going to burn the keep, not the city, or at least the keep first, but then she just burned the city first and then turned on the keep. Its still fine though, i just wish they hadn’t bludgeoned us over the head repeatedly each episode this season with “shes going to crazy, just you wait...” and they had taken longer to descend her into the madness. But its still fine.

I dont know what next episode holds. What will Tyrion, Jon, Arya or Davos do?

What are Sansa, Brann and Bronn up to? And to a lesser extent Brienne?

I like the symetry though, for ASoFaI - 2 big battles with forces of Ice dominant, and then forces of Fire dominant. Thats why I think Jon will end up king, because he has those forces inside himself and represents the balance.

I hope its not as simple as Jon being king though because he doesn’t want it and despite his honorable nature, I dont think he would make a good king, over a long period because of his dispassion. Though there is nothing else for him to do.

Guess is Bronn kills Tyrion because he cannot hold his end of the bargain and just overall done with it all - wanders off into sunset?
Arya or Jon to kill Dany? Probably Jon?
Arya to disappear / done with Westeros - becoming noone again?
Brann to warg into Drogon?
Sansa to write letters and martial all the kingdoms to support Jon so Dany has nothing but madness, frustration and rage?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #2735 on: May 14, 2019, 05:52:44 AM »
In theory the series may take twist and turns, but it will have the same ending as the books, right? Could it be that history repeats itself, and Danny settles into power, and ends up killing her only possible threat "Jon" which will show that northerners don't do well in the south? For me this would be a good (make sense ending).

I suppose the last episode is going to be reactions to the "new" Danny, and maybe a few more people getting executed. That why I think we got such a superficial last episodes from the surviving characters.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2736 on: May 14, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »
I think Dany will die.
I know GRRM likes to subvert tropes, and kill characters, but I dont think Dany will get to be Queen at the end of the show.
He is a big fan of the scouring of the shire. I think dragon-nuking Kings Landing was that.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2737 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
I wonder what Danny Dyer has to say about Dany dying?  :wink: :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2738 on: May 14, 2019, 09:37:10 AM »
I wonder what Danny Dyer has to say about Dany dying?  :wink: :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes:

Are they doing a new "Who do you think you are?" episode, as his links to the English monarchy were obviously wrong and it was the Westeros line.  :closed-eyes:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2739 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
I thought it was fine. I dont get all the people who are upset. The more I think about it, the more satisfied I am with her going mad.
I honestky thought she was just going to burn the keep, not the city, or at least the keep first, but then she just burned the city first and then turned on the keep. Its still fine though, i just wish they hadn’t bludgeoned us over the head repeatedly each episode this season with “shes going to crazy, just you wait...” and they had taken longer to descend her into the madness. But its still fine.

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2740 on: May 14, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »

S.O.F.  :icon_idea:

Guess is Bronn kills Tyrion because he cannot hold his end of the bargain and just overall done with it all - wanders off into sunset?
Arya or Jon to kill Dany? Probably Jon?
Arya to disappear / done with Westeros - becoming noone again?
Brann to warg into Drogon?
Sansa to write letters and martial all the kingdoms to support Jon so Dany has nothing but madness, frustration and rage?

Bronn's got nothing to gain by killing Tyrion anymore. His motivation has always been personal gain. Not sure he would go out of his way (said he was done fighting) just to kill him out of spite. But, as I said before, they've thrown out all the character development in favor of wrapping things up quickly, if illogically.

I think Dany will die.
I know GRRM likes to subvert tropes, and kill characters, but I dont think Dany will get to be Queen at the end of the show.
He is a big fan of the scouring of the shire. I think dragon-nuking Kings Landing was that.

The hobbits didnt burn the Shire to the ground, they ran "Sharkey” and his thugs out of town. Or do you mean Dany is "Sharkey" and the common people are going to run her out of town?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2741 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
Hmmm... A peasant uprising and Dany realizing what a beast she's become and flying out of Westeros is sounding like one of the best possible endings.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2742 on: May 14, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
Why is everyone complaining about the end being too quick? Things can happen real quick. Why can't a war be decided by one battle/siege? Why can't a bunch of powerful people die in the same day of conflict?

Also, what is quick about 4 film-length episodes? It's a modern movie trilogy's worth of time, and no-one would complain if a story got resolved in a trilogy.

Everything that's happening we know has happened before - even dragons melting castles (Harrenhal). Rulers go mad - especially Targaryans. Vengeance gets out of hand, as does furious anger.

The Golden Company should not have gone out, yes, that was silly. But perhaps they thought the dragon had to die with so many giant bolt throwers and then they would simply rout a stunned and broken enemy? So now it's a silly 'in-world' decision, rather than writers.

Does everything have to be explained in character exposition?

I am entirely happy with the last series. I had/have my favourite characters, yes, but don't need them to survive. I like the fact that everything has precedent, historical or recent.

Even the behaviour of the Dothraki. Those who remain survived hell facing the undead. Now they've reverted to type. I am not sure I saw Unsullied looting though, only northerners. But there's a lot of hate ... these southerners let them face the dead, and lose a thousand friends, without help.

There's way's around everything.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2743 on: May 14, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Why is everyone complaining about the end being too quick? Things can happen real quick. Why can't a war be decided by one battle/siege? Why can't a bunch of powerful people die in the same day of conflict?

Also, what is quick about 4 film-length episodes? It's a modern movie trilogy's worth of time, and no-one would complain if a story got resolved in a trilogy.

It is more about how much of the run time they use for things these days. GoT has been suffering this for sometime, my previous most loathed bit was raid on Dreadfort.  Sure the spectacle can be fun but the Trogdor bits just start to feel like too much, which really starts to feel like that lava battle at the Revenge of the Sith. I mean how many peasants and Green Bay quarterbacks do you need to see flamebroiled to get the gist of it, I certainly didn't need what felt like 30 mins of it. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2744 on: May 14, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
The fall and burning of King's Landing was very quick when compared to me and my mates playing a Warhammer battle!  :icon_lol:

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2745 on: May 14, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
I think everything in the episode was in line with the show and lore. For a story about competing for the throne of westeros, it needs to end and we're nearly there.

The fall and burning of King's Landing was very quick when compared to me and my mates playing a Warhammer battle!  :icon_lol:

Haha truly.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2746 on: May 14, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
scouring shire is its equivalent in wrapping up the left over concerns after defeating the big bad.

Aragorn is crowned, the shire is sorted.

my problem with that is that in LotR destroying the ring still felt like the main thing to do, with wrapping up after. Where as now it feels like the nights king and WW were irrelevant already.

in terms of dany going mad
season 6, episode 9

""I will crucify the masters. I will set their fleet on fire. Kill every one of their soldiers and return their cities to the dirt," she vows."

she's been itching to destroy cities for seasons.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2747 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
I do agree with Finlay. I think they fucked up in season 7 by putting the war on hold to fight the night king. Thematically, finishing the war and then having the night king sweep in and only for people to finally believe Jon makes more sense. The WW would be a slow creeping doom to deal with in season 8. Perhaps the book will do that, however the show seems to be going the rate it is so as to set up Dany going full mad queen.

Epiphany: come to think of it, I guess its a matter of perspective. To the audience the WW were the main threat because of Jon's story line, but in universe its the iron throne thats the main story.

:Ohmy:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2748 on: May 14, 2019, 09:29:02 PM »
Correct. WW are supposed to be a constant threat. They are not the main story though. Which is one of those turning-tropes-on-its-head things.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2749 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:46 AM »

The books do have a lot more going on. I should pick them back up again sometime.
― Jake the Dog