home

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar: The new Edition  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Age of Sigmar: The new Edition
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
I like the look of the summoned spells so far. It's interesting that whoever goes second in a round gets first pick to control them. Force players to mix up their turn order a bit instead of always fighting to go first.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
Outside of tournaments and the first battle round, I've never seen anyone give away first turn, especially if you get the double-turn.  The endless spells, and the LoTR resolution ot the roll-off where a draw means the choice goes to the person who didn't get it last might mean double-turns are less common, or less overpowering. 

It has it's ups and downs, you can sometimes get back into a game from a double-turn, and make for an exciting finish, or you can be ruined out of it.  magic and shooting heavy armies benefit more from the double-turn than a combat army anyway

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:50 PM »
They want me to have 30 crossbowmen in one unit, eek!  That seems like 8th edition all over again.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
They want me to have 30 crossbowmen in one unit, eek!  That seems like 8th edition all over again.

Yes and No.   It's not like the units of 50 or 60 Empire troops we saw in 8th edition, or 200 goblins or 100 zombies I've seen in 8th.

But also not like the units the size of one box that we had at the start of Age of Sigmar before points came along.  Base troops hardly featured on the tabletop at all, until the first GHB came along and Battleline became a requirement for matched play armies.  And GHB2017 added points discouts for max sizing units - not much, and very few units have a max size above 30.   Skinks, Grots and Clanrats.   Pretty much every other battleline tops out at 30.

And even then, with battleshock the way it is, large units can crumble from battleshock if they take a lot of casulaties, so unless you can protect them from taking too much damage or make them immune, or resist battleshock, you can be as well off with multiple smaller units, though many freeguild units benefit from rules that give them bonuses for bigger units - rules that have been in since the start 3 years ago.

There has been a little shift to bigger units, but not in a huge way like hordes did in 8th.  Also, there's been a lot of debate at tournaments over time management with big armies, and how long it can take to move miniatures - especially in the more precise way required at that level, and whether taking too long isn't good for the game.   

I feel at the moment it's about right.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
I like the focus! I like where it seems to be heading, not to mention just getting mentioned.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 12:53:00 AM »
Looking good.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• Members

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 01:13:41 AM »
I like that they seem to be adding a lot more flavour rules without making it feel as cluttered as 8'th edition WHFB.

• Members

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
More information including the free download of the Core rules (20 pages) to be found here:

https://ageofsigmar.com

This will also be sthe place to start from to make our introduction thread I suppose.

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:28 PM »
pre-order has been done, money was spent, waiting has begun

• Members

• Members
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2021, 08:53:37 AM »
So far been pulling up some W:AoS threads relatively randomly (one form 2020, 2019, and now 2018), and here's another mostly positive topic thread.  Beginning to think there's a bit more balance than some might seem to be aware, although perhaps that's because negativity tends to stick out and stay longer with how our human brains work at times.  None the less, W:AoS has been acquiring quite the following it seems or GW wouldn't be producing, and by what I've heard, selling so many figures.  In fact on the fantasy side of things, it seems besides W:AoS with its change in rules and Stormcast vs. Undead starter set, and its continually expanding number of figures available, there are new skirmish sets like Warcry, Underworlds, Beastgrave, Direchasm, and even a return to Blood Bowl.  Plus ... dare I mention ... the rumors of a return to the Old World.  Perhaps GW's move away from it in the first place has been recognized for what it was, and meanwhile the improvements to W:AoS have helped bring about a healthy fantasy community, along with new creative ideas for it and beyond.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2021, 04:12:58 PM »
Honestly I don't know why this thread is split off from the rumours one. Its just 90% links and quotes from the community site, exactly like the rumours thread.

I also personally feel people tend to misunderstand why GW is returning to the Old World, and label at correcting a mistake, when it a lot of ways its the exact opposite of that.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 04:26:07 PM »
Yep, I'm seeing more and more it wasn't necessarily a mistake in what they were trying to accomplish, but instead how.  Regardless, going back to the Old World is one of timing and where they see an opportunity to make more money selling figures.  Which likely can still be brought into W:AoS perhaps as well.