home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 86843 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »
But guys, they are returning to printing Warhammer comics.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/07/40k-comics-coming-back-in-october.html

Dark Angels vs Iron Warriors baby!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
I honestly prefer it in black and white.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »
I also like the old B&W comics, but check out Damnation Crusade and Condemned by Fire. They're in color and very nicely made. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »
'And now for something completely different' - another 40k book!
The Siege of Castellax. What better way than have the nasties (Iron Warriors) bash it out with the Orks. Who can lose?😺
Also filled in some time with an old favorite mag -Strategy and Tactics #300 - The Rommel Factor. My brother picked it up for me in the hospital and I forgot how much I enjoyed this magazine. I used to have many copies and a subscription to it. Filled with all kinds of  set stuff.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:41:01 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2016, 12:25:14 AM »
Something cheery I read while in the hospital for a month. The Faithful Excecutioner by Joel F Harrington.
A story about Franz Schmidt who lived 1554 - 1634 and executed 304 people over his career. Not a career of his choosing but one forced upon him as a teenager when he witnessed a nobleman having a dog thrown at him and was told to execute this person who threw the  dog.  Apparently he had to do what his superior had said and this condemned him to his trade. He spent his life trying to redeem his family honour and it carried on to his son who eventually regained their honour. Truly a neat look at life in the 1500 - 1600.
But he was not a monster. To the contrary, he was a sober, reliable family man, one who reluctantly pursued his vocation.
(Copied and pasted that last line out of sheer laziness)
G
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
Just settling in with ' The Generals Handbook'. Not quite literature but fun to read. I havnt picked up any of the new books for AOS so this seems a good place to start.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »
Working my way through the River's of London series while I wait for the next Dresden Files book. It's fun.

Also rereading my way through the discworld. Some of the greatest books on the planet.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2016, 10:26:12 PM »
I second this.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »
I've heard of these. All good remarks on them. I really need to track them down I think
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:21 PM »
'Rivers of London'? Thames, Fleet .. I know of no more. But I do live in Yorkshire and I claim all that might redeem, plus two bottles of wine (and all the re-typing therein) involved. And more besides ... there's always more besides ....      ... so, while I am here, what were we talking about?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
Working my way through the River's of London series while I wait for the next Dresden Files book. It's fun.

"As of September 2016: Jim is currently writing Peace Talks (#16), so we’re still quite a ways from having a release date."
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Records of the medieval sword by Ewart Oakeshott and I:33, also known Walpurgis fechtbuch from about 1320
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
The Artist, the Philosopher and the Warrior [Leonardo, Machiavelli, Borgia] A Fateful Collusion. By Paul Strathern.

(Some of you may know why.)
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »

"As of September 2016: Jim is currently writing Peace Talks (#16), so we’re still quite a ways from having a release date."

Sigh, I know. it's going to be awhile. Should be worth the wait. Rivers of London is really good so far, and there's five books to go through while I wait. It's kinda sorta like a british version of the Dresden Files.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »
The Aeronaughts Windlass was pretty good. His other I didn't enjoy.

not together.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2016, 11:28:11 PM »
Do you mean the Dresden one's, or the other Codex series?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »
Codex.  I love Dresden, though I feel after Changes it has been underwhelming.

not together.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »
Agree fully on all counts. I really liked Skin Game because I felt he was finally planning ahead and using his power, but I sort of miss the original PI kind of stuff.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
Indeed.  Sometimes long stories like this sort of lose that luster of what made it so enticing in the beginning.  I felt the same way about Fringe, was amazing in the beginning, but the more the overlying plot was revealed the less interested I was.  Changes is obviously appropriately named, and it's going to take a while to build back up to that crescendo again.  I think he really set himself a tough task this way.  I'm going to see it out, for sure, I just hope it does pick up again. 

MINOR SPOILER FOR THE BOOKS BELOW

I will say that of all the things he's done so far, I don't really like the way he's handled Butters/Knights of the Cross.  It just feels like everybody in the squad is getting some form of McGuffin to equal the playing field.  I understand the reasoning for it, and from a Christian/faith perspective I can even appreciate what it's trying to say.  It just feels a bit out of place.

not together.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »
I know what you mean. Everyone is getting a major upgrade, which is a bit of a shame. Part of what I liked was seeing the regular mortals try and deal with stuff. It looks like soon there wont be any left.

Still it's a minor gripe. Uriel is a great character so getting to see him around is always nice.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2016, 02:31:55 AM »
The Artist, the Philosopher and the Warrior [Leonardo, Machiavelli, Borgia] A Fateful Collusion. By Paul Strathern.

(Some of you may know why.)

Narrative or historical commentary?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
So if one wanted to get into this HP Lovecraft stuff, what would be a great book/story to start?  not necessarily the first but which one is the best to start with.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Codex.  I love Dresden, though I feel after Changes it has been underwhelming.

Perhaps you should try the Dresden Codex, then...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
So if one wanted to get into this HP Lovecraft stuff, what would be a great book/story to start?  not necessarily the first but which one is the best to start with.

I've read everything he wrote and have a copy of everything kicking around. A lot of his stuff is repetitive as he wrote them for magazines but I always liked at 'the mountains of madness' and ' dream quest of unknown kadath'. I also reallly liked the story 'the strange high house in he mist'. Reanimator is pretty good too.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

I would suggest to start with some short stories. "The Color Out Of Space" is pretty good, as is "Pickman's Model".

See whether you like his writing style (not everybody does), and then expand.

Incidentally, when you google "lovecraft pick...", autocomplete suggests "lovecraft pickup lines". But I'm not sure these work.