home

Author Topic: Interesting article on (video) gaming addiction  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Interesting article on (video) gaming addiction
« on: February 17, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Cracked, so language

I am half-way through this, and I thought that pt 3 was VERY interesting given some of the discussions we have here about Warhammer and GW, and how they are neglecting their core demographic etc. etc.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-we-need-to-take-video-game-addiction-seriously/
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Interesting article on (video) gaming addiction
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
4 is good, for my brother who won't visit me and his niece and nephew over the weekend, because it interferes with WoW raid night, and complained about family obligations over christmas because "he couldnt do anything productive"- ie play wow and level shit.
that's not productive.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:51:30 PM »
I read the article this morning as well. I thought it had a couple of really interesting points.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:37:58 AM »
I liked the part where, at one point, they linked to a previous Cracked article about how gamers were unfairly stereotyped as emotionally repressed losers.  Then the article went on to reinforce the idea that gamers are emotionally repressed losers, even linking another Cracked article discussing how all gamers are emotionally repressed losers.

Quite well balanced.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:28 AM »
He repeatedly stated not all gamers are addicts, and not all people who play a lot are addicts.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »
Indeed when I was reading it I very clearly got the feeling they were only talking about a certain portion of gamers, not just labeling all of them insane.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
He repeatedly stated not all gamers are addicts, and not all people who play a lot are addicts.

The expert only talks about gaming addicts.  He says things like "If I think about the clients I've had...t takes a lot of talking to make them admit that sex is a big part of their life and they're unhappy with their inability to make it happen."

The Expert makes it clear that when he refers to "them," he's talking about his clients.

The author never makes that distinction when he condemns gamers.  Take this quote:

Hands down, the single most embarrassing thing about video games is how they keep assuming I have the brain of a sexually repressed 14-year-old. The second most embarrassing thing is how often we prove them right: When we freak out at someone, it's always a woman, and we're always accusing them of using sex to get ahead. When we encounter women in games, we sexually harass them. And when we meet a female gamer in real life, we automatically assume she's trying to deceive us. It's agonizingly obvious what's really going on. And according to O'Connor, this is a big part of gaming addiction.

When he says "we" he doesn't mean "gaming addicts."  He never lumps himself in with addicts.  He distances himself from "vocal, angry gamers on the Internet."  He's saying that gamers as a whole have these characteristics.

It's the typical "gamers are misogynists" argument that's been making the rounds lately, coupled with the standard "but not me, I'm one of the good ones" disclaimer.  As far as I can tell, it has something to do with the whole "GamerGate" thing.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
He differentiates continuosly throughout the article.

The article is called game addiction. He even says addiction is a symptom later on- not just gaming.

Games make the addict feel important because as power fantasies, games are designed to do precisely that. And spending too much time in that power fantasy makes addicts

But the difference between the healthy gamer and the addict is that the addict isn't getting this kind of "I matter" fulfillment anywhere else.

I'm not saying that if someone dislikes a game, they're automatically an addict. I'm not even saying that playing a lot of games makes you an addict, because that's not how addiction works
excplicitly stating gaming a lot is not a gaming addict.

Did you want every other word to be "addict"? I think it's pretty clear.

Pass the machete.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
In the part I quoted he wasn't talking about addicts.  He was talking about "we," including himself in the group.  He doesn't consider himself an addict, distancing himself from the "other" at every chance.

Further, it's an article on Cracked.  The only positive discussion it should bring up is how to avoid articles on Cracked.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
So you cherry picked one section where he stops using addict, and ignore the fact he uses the word 26 times throughout the rest of the article. Cool.

As I said, did you expect him to say "addict" as every other word?

If you dont like cracked, dont comment on it, especially as you are talking out your ass.

Pass the machete.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
This post is funny, but it hits a nerve right. It's an issue of parents vs child gamer.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/bEhf1EPt-open-letter-to-parents-of-league-of-legends-players
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
That would be my biggest fear as a parent. I mean, it seems hard to find that balance where your kid is confident with technology but isn't a neckbeard either. I want to have a family that spends technology-free time with each other and does outdoor activities like camping as well as couch potato activities like watching movies.

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
This post is funny, but it hits a nerve right. It's an issue of parents vs child gamer.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/bEhf1EPt-open-letter-to-parents-of-league-of-legends-players

I showed that to my wife and we laughed and laughed

Pass the machete.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
Surely not beginning a game if you can't commit to finishing it is a part of the game's culture? In other words, that it's the role of that game's community to encourage it amongst its users. Parents surely can't be expected to also take responsibility for ensuring their children maintain good in-game etiquette?

Otherwise, it sets a fairly ridiculous precedent. I hated getting ganked in WoW - it's great to know that it's the responsibility of the parents to make sure their punk-ass kids don't do it!
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
So you cherry picked one section where he stops using addict, and ignore the fact he uses the word 26 times throughout the rest of the article. Cool.

Not even close.  I assume that he writes what he intends to write, not what he didn't write.  If he is talking about a specific group of non-addict gamers, then he should be precise and say so.  When he writes about gamers in general, he should be taken at his word.

As I said, did you expect him to say "addict" as every other word?

I'm assuming competence.  While I'll admit that's a stretch with a Cracked author, it's all we have to go on.  The expert that the author quoted made sure to always preface his comments with references to addicts or patients.  Why couldn't the author?

The author was talking about gamers in general being misogynist losers with no social life.  If you consider yourself a gamer but don't think the description fits you, then your problem is with the author, not with me.

If you dont like cracked, dont comment on it, especially as you are talking out your ass.

Why shouldn't I comment on it?  The link was posted here for comment.  I commented on the content of the story (it's crap) and the content of the site in general (it's crap).

If you're going to get upset about people having different opinions than you, maybe you should get off the internet.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
The kids can do it themselves. "Mom, when are we having dinner?" As simple as that.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »

Not even close.  I assume that he writes what he intends to write, not what he didn't write.  If he is talking about a specific group of non-addict gamers, then he should be precise and say so.  When he writes about gamers in general, he should be taken at his word.

He's not writing about gamers in general, which is why he uses the word addict 26 times in his article, and in the title of the article, and even says "just playing a lot of games doesn't make you an addict"

You're such a herp it's unbelievable.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
The kids can do it themselves. "Mom, when are we having dinner?" As simple as that.
The idea parents should be actively behind their kids at all times to ensure they dont start an activity they dont have time to do is lol.

Pass the machete.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
The idea that many/any parents who aren't themselves gamers are going to read an "open letter" posted on a nerd forum is also lol.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
The idea parents should be actively behind their kids at all times to ensure they dont start an activity they dont have time to do is lol.

Or possibly DOTA.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
The idea that many/any parents who aren't themselves gamers are going to read an "open letter" posted on a nerd forum is also lol.

But they did, just scroll down to comments.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
You're all assuming that cracked is a good source for valid journalism. In case there's any confusion about what the Cracked modus operandi is:

I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.