home

Author Topic: Help with ideas  (Read 2842 times)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
Help with ideas
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
So, I've finally started that pre-split undead army I harped on about for so long (you know, Tomb Kings rules, but with necromancers as priests and vamps are kings/princes).

The chariots are merely TK chariots without the TK iconography, with mantic games skeletons on them. The troops are all mantic games skeletons.

I've already done my casket (it's a necromancer reading from the Liber Mortis), but bearing in mind I want to keep this whole army cheap, what can I use for the following?

Tomb Scorpions - No clue at all. (tempted to give a spare ogre or two a shovel  :engel: )

Bone Giant - No clue on cheap options.

Ushabti - Already going to get some Ogres for these, and "undeadify" them. Any better suggestions would be helpful though!

The beauty of this is it also lets me double it as a Vampire Counts force.  :biggriin:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:06:54 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Help with ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
Tomb Scorpians - perhaps a giant spider or something? These could double as bat swarms (if you play people with enough imagination...)

Bone Giant - a zombie giant type thing. This would generally be doubling up with a Varghulf - not sure of a cheap option, however a Gorger IMO with some modifications looks suitably hungry undead thing.

Ushabti - Zombie Ogre things works, but I also think there are some cool 'Wolfen' models that fit a werewolf type theme, but also equipped suitably for Ushabti.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
Tomb Scorpians - perhaps a giant spider or something? These could double as bat swarms (if you play people with enough imagination...)

I'm deathly arachnophobic. I find it hard playing people with spider riders.  :eusa_sick:

Bone Giant - a zombie giant type thing. This would generally be doubling up with a Varghulf - not sure of a cheap option, however a Gorger IMO with some modifications looks suitably hungry undead thing.

Gorger could work, but that that point/cost I think I might aswell get the Varghulf. Not sure!

Ushabti - Zombie Ogre things works, but I also think there are some cool 'Wolfen' models that fit a werewolf type theme, but also equipped suitably for Ushabti.

An idea at least! Rackham right? They have a big sale on at the moment.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
Actually a varghulf or bat swarms would be perfect instead of the tomb scorpion.

Just say that they come flying down instead of tunneling.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »

All cool ideas. I like the idea of the giant spider. I would just convert a regular giant (GW or otherwise) into a zombie giant. Same with the ogres.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
Damn you people and your love of spiders.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
I'm deathly aranaphobic. I find it hard playing people with spider riders.  :eusa_sick:

Seriously? Thats a shame. Spiders and scorpians aren't that different though are they? I would love it if they released an army that had plastic scorpians. Are there any Tyranid models that you could modify?

Gorger could work, but that that point/cost I think I might aswell get the Varghulf. Not sure!

I got the Gorger when it was cheaper. You could use some find of big 'statue' like model, which has been animated?

An idea at least! Rackham right? They have a big sale on at the moment.

Thanks. And thats good for you then.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
Seriously? Thats a shame. Spiders and scorpians aren't that different though are they? I would love it if they released an army that had plastic scorpians. Are there any Tyranid models that you could modify?

Very seriously. I can use my mates Tomb Scorpions so long as I hold them by the tail and don't look at the legs too much. It's ok generally, as they're definately not spiders. But I can't bear to look at the goblin shaman on giant spider for example, and when I got the Battle for Skullpass I gave the spider riders away immediately.

I got the Gorger when it was cheaper. You could use some find of big 'statue' like model, which has been animated?

Ah, a statue! Interesting, that could work actually. I may end up getting the normal giant and zombifying it however (I know, cost, but it's plastic!)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
What is your theme exactly Dracula? Perhaps get a Frankie as Bone Giant /Varghulf

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
What is your theme exactly Dracula? Perhaps get a Frankie as Bone Giant /Varghulf

Ever play Dark Omen? That.

Vamps, Necromancers, skeletal men at arms, skeletal bowmen, catapults (sadly no spear chukkas in the tomb king list), chariots, cavalry (again, no heavy cavalry in the tomb kings list  :engel: ).

I used to love the cackling laugh the screaming skull catapults made in that game.

Actually, thinking about it freshly buried ogres of a sort could be used as scorpions, just representing the Vamp/Necros raising big nasties midgame.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
you could always get one tomb scorpion and cut him in two and just make two scorpions that just emerge one is the body with one claw in the air and the other one is just the claw that digs itself out of the dirt.

The third one could be tail only but some might think you are a pervert.

Scropions would be ok for the dark omen army too and you could use mummies as ogres.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:35:13 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
This one?

:engel:
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »
This one?

:engel:

Donīt look at it Dwhitey its a TRAP!!!

I think more people should quote warn him just in case  :icon_twisted:

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
Did you honestly expect me to click that link?  :dry:

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »
It was worth a try.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
Did you honestly expect me to click that link?  :dry:

Good for shock therapy, though.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
As it looks like you aren't opposed to using miniatures from other companies, try this for your Bone Giant.

I've got this fig and it is truely massive and it's about $13 cheaper than GW's Bone Giant. It has a look similar to the GW Bone Giant, but also similar to the Mantic skeletons. The GW Bone Giant's head is about equal with his shoulders.

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02911

Actually, just found a comparison picture I took a long time ago.

Also from Reaper is the Nefsokar Giant Scorpion that looks outstanding and invokes the same look and feel of the GW Tomb Scorpion. It's only a couple dollars cheaper than the GW one though.

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/14244
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:37:05 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »
That thing is almost as bad as a spider, but thanks for the giant!

Though I've been told ordering reaper miniatures from the UK can be ridiculously expensive.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Updated my last post with a comparison picture I took of my GW Bone Giant and my Reaper Collosal Skeleton.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the help, but in the end my mother decided for me when she took me out to get my birthday present 24 days early.

We got a Gorger.  :engel:

I plan to up it's base to 50*50, and then modify it a bit. Add corpses being dragged by ropes nailed to it or some such.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
Thanks for the help, but in the end my mother decided for me when she took me out to get my birthday present 24 days early.

We got a Gorger.  :engel:

I plan to up it's base to 50*50, and then modify it a bit. Add corpses being dragged by ropes nailed to it or some such.

Glad I could help.

And when is your birthday (confusion due to timezones)? 29th, 30th or 1st? Mine is 29 April.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
I've no idea if 24 days was correct. My birthday is on the 23rd of May.

Really liking painting quick, simple, not particularly well but colourful.

I spend so much more time on 40k models as there are less of them.  :engel:

Finished my first character, a Necromancer who will either ride a corpsecart, or read from the Liber Mortis.

Decided that my Spirit Swarms (used old empire, heroquest etc) will also double as Carrion. Giant/Varghulf is sorted, so I think I'm sticking with ogres buried in the ground with some sort of... mutation? Not sure. spade like blades instead of hands? Those as scorpions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:31:24 PM by MrDWhitey »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Ah. I read
24 days

as 24 hours.

I find the Necromancer is best on the Corpse Cart, though it does put a bit of a target on his back. What is this model in the Tomb King army?

The Gorger pulling bodies would look great as a Bone Giant / Varghulf, and Spirit Host as Carrion would be decent, though I would consider throwing the odd bat or set of wings in there...

As for the Ogres half buried in the ground, they could work - though what would they double as in the Vampire army? Having their hands turned into blades would look fine, and you can easily use the Ironfists for those.

Alternatively you could make some Centaurs combined with Dire Wolves or Skeleton Steeds? Might be cheaper than buying a box of Ogres. I have seen someone use Skeleton steeds and Skeleton torsos to make undead centaurs. Dire Wolves could be combined with Zombies for a more fleshy version.

Or what about some kind of beetle? I know GW don't really make such a thing - is it only spiders you don't like, or most insects?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:11 AM »
I have two corpse carts, one fully made up with the corpse pile and a guy with a spear. That will double as a kind of chariot in the TK force (buying two more boxes of chariots, giving me 9, I need one for a vamp lord so I'm short one), and it will count as the champion in my lords unit (only that unit will have one, for challenges).

The other corpsecart is left bare, and has a magnetic strip on it for the necromancer who also reads the Liber Mortis. I really need to sex up the Liber Mortis' base, needs spirits or something swirling around. Maybe add a mist.

The 2 ogres I'll use for tomb scorpions will only be part of the usage of the box. The other 4 will be Ushabti, so it should be ok. In the vamp army they may just be unit filler. As I rarely intend to use spirit hosts apart from the Winds of Undeath spell, they will also act in the same way.

I'll just say most insects. I know after admitting this, some will never let me forget.  :engel: